Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Blood pressure?
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I've been monitoring my blood pressure recently(only because the mrs has to keep a check on hers)

Mine does seen a bit unusual though. I've always been aware that i've got a very strong heart beat, it proper thumps.

It has been averaging 65-70/135-150 with a serving pulse around 50ish.

Currently 66/151, pulse 54.

I would not describe myself as particularly fit having not been out much this year, but have a very physical job.

Should I be worried?

derek_starship
    Free Member

With the figures the right way around i.e. highest first (systolic pressure) and lowest second (diastolic) your BP seems okay. Perhaps your systolic pressure would be better averaging 110-120mmHg.

samuri
    Free Member

How old are you? Your systolic reading seems a bit high although it's expected to gradually rise as you get older. Obviously if you're worried I'd go see a doctor if I were you but I'd say that may well need some quite minor tablets.

I'm not a doctor though.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

31, not worried at all, just seemed a bit odd.
    I think it's always been that way to be honest

samuri
    Free Member

I'd go see a doctor then. Since you're young it does sound a bit high and just because it's always been that way it doesn't mean it's ok. You can develop all sorts of problems in later life if you leave high blood pressure alone.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sytolic is a bit high but diastolic isn't. diastolic is the important one as that is what is affected by underlying disease.

Checking your own BP is a bit pointless – you get biofeedback which alters it and how accurate is your machine? Its probably because you are worrying that your systolic has risen.

I have practised a bit of biofeedback stuff playing with the machinery at work on nights when everyone is asleep. I can alter my pulse by 15 by thinking about it and my systolic by around 15

Go get a proper check from your GPs practice. There should be a practise nurse who will give you an MOT

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

It's only a cheap wrist jobbie from aldi, but it's surprisingly accurate compared to the one at the docs surgery. The nurse asked the mrs to take it up to compare them. Did 3 tests on each and they were more or less the same.
    I'm not worried or concerned about it it the slightest, so can't see any sort of stress affecting it.
    More curious than anything.
    I knew that the lower figure was more important, which is why I thought it odd more than concerning

Nezbo
    Free Member

I'm 32 and consider myself quite fit and I'm on medication for high blood pressure.

At its worst it was a 140/105.

The top figure has never been to bad, but the lower figure the one i have a problem with.

Now it has come with medication (Diovan) to around 130/80 ish

But it dont stop me from racing/riding my bike, I might not be as fast as i could be if i had normal blood pressure.

samuri
    Free Member

Can we blame poor performance on blood pressure then?
    I'm on medication for mine too, I think it's around 145/105 normally, on these pills it's down to 120/80.

That'd be great if we could. I'd use it all the time. On the bike, at work, in bed. 😉

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Ah, it all makes sense now then.

The pizza, curry, pies and subways have nothing to do with it, it's all down to the blood pressure!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I'd go see your doctor personally, historically they were only worried about your diastolic. However, recent studies have shown that pulse pressure over about 50 (the difference between the 2 figures) is a good indicator of future problems.

At 31 there is unlikely to be any damage caused, but another 20 years of it could leave you in a bad way – best to sort it now.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I had high bp coupla years ago due to a complete **** of a client we were working for. Nearly drove me nuts, ended up being monitored, I refused medication because it can suddenly become a reliance issue apparently. Just chilled out, less beer (hardest part) and more exercise. Going back this month at some point for a check before the big mtb jaunt to Scotland!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Blood pressure?’ is closed to new replies.