Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Blood Donors: Becoming a Platelet Donor?
  • P20

Has anyone become a platelet donor? Whats your experience been like?
    They've sent me the bumpf on becoming one and i'm thinking about it.

Jamie
    Free Member

My understanding is not everyone can do it so if you can then do!

pjt201
    Free Member

I'm a platelet donor. It's really pretty straightforward. You have to go to a regional centre to donate where they do the same finger prick test to check for anaemia and then they stick a similar sized needle into your arm as for donating whole blood but it's connected to a cell separator machine which alternatly draws and returns blood to your arm while separating the platelets out. It does feel a bit weird the first couple of times but you get used to it! You can eat/drink/read/make phone calls etc while donating which normally takes me a little over an hour. You are asked to donate once every four weeks as platelets regenerate a lot faster than red blood cells.

zaskar
    Free Member

Me too as I'm O+ve I can donate to others and platelets take longer to take out so make sure you're not in a rush.

Well done for doing it.

P20

Cheers guys. Should be easier to donate then as the normal sessions often clash with my shifts

marsdenman
    Free Member

Pretty sure they asked me to do that, and join the bone marrow donating register, when I last gave blood?
    Certainly recall additional paperwork and samples?
    I'm stock standard A+ though….

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have enough trouble feeling grotty after blood donations, let alone anything else!

P20

Never had any problems post donation sho should be fine. O rhd +ve

29erKeith
    Free Member

I do it too, every 4-5 weeks

I don't think blood type makes any difference at all with platelets

Work are really good about it too, good cause and all (I do make my hours up though still) it does take about 2 hours ish each time including the paperwork

Everybody has a different program on the machines so time does vary they also vary it per person each time depending on current levels. I'm usually 'plugged in' for about 75 mins each time. You can get tingly and lips fingers from the anti-coagulant that ends up back in your system, which feels odd, but goes very quickly, I tend to get the odd sneezing fit from it tickling my nose too which is weird

The platelets regenerate very very quickly they could take them more often but you do loose some red blood cells etc in the process in the machine
    iirc about 10% of what you'd donate if it were donating whole blood
    4 weeks is about right for me though any more frequent could be a pain
    You can do it less frequently too if you want, they’re very accommodating, appointments do get booked up though especially the one early and late in the day I usually take a long lunch as I work close to the hospital (10 min ride)

If you can do it and it fits in with your life get tested

P20

Cheers guys. I'll give it a go. If its not for me, i'll revert back to normal donations. 😀

TN
    Free Member

I 'qualified' to donate platelets (or was it plasma??) but went a couple of times and ended up with very bad bruising on the 'return' cycle' 🙁 I have gone back to full blood donation now.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I also thought about double dontaing but my local blood doner session are not doing it. Thought about platelet dontaation but I have to travel far to nearest branch and would be during work hours so no go for me. I am on the marrow donars list which everyone should think about!

carlosg
    Free Member

Been a blood donor since turning 18 (1988) as I have 2 family members who wouldn't have lived without tranfusions , I tried giving platelets but after the 3rd and 4th donation I had horrific headaches for 4 days which is very out of character for me, after speaking to the staff(my sister who works for them) I decided going back to full blood donation was the best course of action.

Best to see if you can donate first and give it a go ,see how it is for you.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I've been doing it for years too, they say they like me beacuse I'm A+ but not sure why!

It's no fuss, you get double 'points' and the best thing is it's just 20mins of chill-out time that is so very relaxing.

The gungy yellow stuff that ends up in the bag does look pretty disgusting though!

C

P20

Good to hear from people who have triedand its worked or gone back to normal donations. I'm ringing them in the morning.
    Once again cheers guys

matthewjb
    Free Member

I gave blood this morning. I was talking to the nurse about platelet donation. May see if I'm compatible next time. The only problem I can see is the extra time it takes.

I've surprised no one has mentioned the best bit about donation. Free cake and biscuits!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Blood Donors: Becoming a Platelet Donor?’ is closed to new replies.