Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Blood donation – (1) malaria (2) bike commuting
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, finally, I’ve got round to organising a blood donation (via a visit of the bus to my workplace tomorrow).

Anyone know if having had malaria in the past (c15 years ago, never recurred AFAIK) will cause a problem?

Also, my usual means of transpiort to work is by bike,. It’s not far – about 17 miles each way – but is it sensible to assume an hour’s ride home later that day is a good idea?

ski
    Free Member

So, finally, I’ve got round to organising a blood donation (via a visit of the bus to my workplace tomorrow).

Anyone know if having had malaria in the past (c15 years ago, never recurred AFAIK) will cause a problem?

Mention it at the time & they will tell you, they will be after where in the world you caught it too.

Also, my usual means of transpiort to work is by bike,. It’s not far – about 17 miles each way – but is it sensible to assume an hour’s ride home later that day is a good idea?

Its never put me off doing my easy commute home, but they do say to take it easy for 24hrs.

anjs
    Free Member

Could very well do. Last time I tried they would not take mine as I had been born in a high risk area and they did not have a usable maleria test at the time to check my blood.

monksie
    Free Member

You’ll proabably find that it’ll be a thanks but no thanks to (1) and and a thanks but no thanks to (2) if you tell them you intend to cycle 17 miles home and have no other means of making the journey.
    I asked a health professional. Not really her area of expertise but the above was her verdict to both.

ourmaninthenorth

Hmm. Caught it in either Zimbabwe or South Africa (in spite of religiously taking prophylactics). Fixed in Australia with 5 weeks’ worth of mephloquin (lariam) in one day. Went a bit mental for a while, though….

I’ll discuss (1) with the team when they come (no-one’s been able to assist me so far) and not tell them about (2) (and then stick it in the small chainring and amble home)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Re: riding home. I played squash an hour and a half after giving blood once. I had to lie down for a few minutes after as I was extremely light headed – recommended.

epicyclo

We used to head for the pub after 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

“and not tell them about (2) (and then stick it in the small chainring and amble home)”

That’s the spirit!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

‘Do you want a cup of sugary tea?’

‘Nope, I’m going out for a ciggy’

miketually
    Free Member

At uni, my wife ran from giving blood to an hour long lecture (Durham: Elvet Riverside to Science Site, so not far though she’s no runner). When she stood up at the end of the lecture, she passed out and banged her head on the seat arm -> concussion.

scaredypants

Please wait 6 months after returning from a malarial area before giving blood. Please also tell us if you have visited Central/South America at any time. (Those who’ve had Malaria, or an undiagnosed illness associated with travel, may not however be able to give blood.)

If you are unsure please call our 24 hour donor helpline on 0300 123 23 23.

<Guesses>
    If you’ve special blood group, you’ll prob get in
    If not, may turn you down or take plasma only

Flaperon

I went out for a ride after donating – didn’t feel light-headed or anything but speed and stamina all reduced by about 25% and absolutely knackered afterwards.

People tend to react differently, you can’t really tell what you’ll be capable of until after you’ve done a donation.

Update:

Actually, a bit pointless writing that. According to the website, it’s a no-no.

(Those who’ve had Malaria, or an undiagnosed illness associated with travel, may not however be able to give blood.)

If you are unsure please call our 24 hour donor helpline on 0300 123 23 23.[/i]

scaredypants

Actually, from the now legendary “Blood Matters” Spring 2004:

Malaria
    The NBS now has a malaria test, which
    looks for antibodies to the parasite in the
    blood. This test is now available across
    the NBS and so anyone who has visited
    a malarious area of the world, or who
    has had malaria, can now donate blood
    6 months after their return to the UK.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did a 25mile road ride (in the Peaks so this included some big hills), gym session, swam 2 miles then went out on the lash, just to see what would happen, made it to 1am before suddenly becoming very tired.

ourmaninthenorth

OK, so I’ve now spoken to the monumentally useless sounding person at the end of the helpline scardey linked to.

It *seems* for malaria, that there’s a three year cut-off for both having had the illness and finished treatment. In my case, it is 14 years.

There is a supplementary quesiton about having visited a country where malaria exists within that 3 year period. In the last 3 years I’ve been to Italy – I know they have malaria in the south.

So, assuming the antibody test comes out OK, I think I may be all right.

ski
    Free Member

Your not out of the woods just quite yet ourmaninthenorth, wait until they have checked out/laughed at your sex life fun and games, before you get the green light to bleed 😉

ourmaninthenorth

wait until they have checked out/laughed at your sex life fun and games, before you get the green light to bleed

Just had a kid. Sex life? What’s that..? 😉

fisha
    Free Member

I gave blood one day, then went the following day to Arran to ride around it. The hole in the vein burst back open and my arm was a lovely shade of purple. Felt completely drained half way round and struggled the rest of the way.

My mates thought I was nuts. So do I. I’ll not do it again.

ourmaninthenorth

The hole in the vein burst back open…. Felt completely drained

Hee hee..! 😉

ourmaninthenorth

An update: delivered blood, which was pretty swift and quite painless.

Thought no more of it until a letter landed the other day. After nearly 15 years, I stu
    ill have malaria antibodies floating around my blood, so it’s no use to anyone.

So I’ll have to find another way of doing my bit….. 😥

Makore
    Free Member

Interesting. I used to give blood regularly before spending a few years in Southern Africa. Caught maleria and had several reoccurances over the following years – each time not as bad. I enquired about giving blood again when back in the UK; no because I’d had maleria and no because I lived there. Haven’t tried since, the first maleria episode was over 15 years ago, judging by your result it’s highly likely my blood would also still be rejected.

The Botswanan Blood Transfusion Service used to turn up at schools and collect blood. All pupils (over a certain weight, and not obviously ill) were ‘encouraged’ to donate. Most staff also did.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Blood donation – (1) malaria (2) bike commuting’ is closed to new replies.