Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Blocking emails / bouncing them back
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Will the sender get his/hers email back if I’ve blocked the address?

I’d like them to know certain mails are not wanted. It’s mainly companies sending me monthly offers or pages from catalogues. Some days my mail box can fill up with these, and the ones I want can’t be recieved.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just unsubscribe from their mailing list – they are legally bound to have unsubscribe links on emails they send out. They will know you have unsubscribed.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And if they don’t have unsubscribe links, email directly and tell them to stop sending to you – reminding them of their legal obligation to have unsubscribe functionality.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Only if they are reputable companies though. If it’s a dodgy spammer and you click the unsubscribe link, you’ll just validate your email and then get tons more spam.

bassspine
    Free Member

(edit) beaten to it

oldgit
    Free Member

They’re all reputable companies, the problem is individual salespeople sending me stuff that they think might interest me. So not the usual weekly spam, so none of this stuff has an unsubscribe link.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Only if they are reputable companies though. If it’s a dodgy spammer and you click the unsubscribe link, you’ll just validate your email and then get tons more spam

Agreed – occasionally I nearly do click those links but then remember what they do. I usually only unsubscribe from companies I know to be ‘reputable’ and just block others.

Dell are fun though – it took me months to finally stop getting their spam as they have multiple accounts they send from so buy one computer and they farm the email address out to every account they have and you have to unsubscribe from EACH account, not just globally. It took a Twitter bombardment from me to finally get them to cease.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They’re all reputable companies, the problem is individual salespeople sending me stuff that they think might interest me. So not the usual weekly spam, so none of this stuff has an unsubscribe link

If it is individuals, just email them directly back telling them you are not interested.

oldgit
    Free Member

If it is individuals, just email them directly back telling them you are not interested

I have done, but now I just bang my head against the desk.

I was hoping there would be a way that would return their mails and make them think for a mo.

wwaswas

do you want to return all mail from these individuals (i.e. you never get correspondence from them other than spam)?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have done, but now I just bang my head against the desk.

I was hoping there would be a way that would return their mails and make them think for a mo.
    If you know the individuals why not speak to their line managers and tell them about your dis-satisfaction? Just because they contacted you by email it doesn’t mean you can’t pick up a phone and speak to someone – probably more likely to get something done that way.

NZCol

Just blacklist them, your AV probably has a mail filter in which you can blacklist sender addresses.

oldgit
    Free Member

do you want to return all mail from these individuals (i.e. you never get correspondence from them other than spam)?

Knickers, I didn’t think about that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Blocking emails / bouncing them back’ is closed to new replies.