• This topic has 31 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Blocked toilet? No plunger? Life hacks
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Use a balloon.

Apparently the toilet has suddenly become blocked. No one knows how it’s happened. 11 o clock at night so can’t pop to the shop and get a plunger.
    Tried a wire and a pipe bender to no avail.
    Grabbed a balloon out the car and blew it up just a a bit bigger than the toilet hole. Plunge away using the balloonoplunge 3000. Hey presto, toilets free.

Disclaimer. I can’t guarantee this will work and that the balloon won’t burst covering you and your bathroom in the contents of your toilet.

So any more stw life hacks? Or improvisations?

somafunk

I’ve used a length of goodridge compressionless brake housing to successfully poke away a loo blockage before

spacemonkey

An auger did the trick last time we had a blockage something like 5m from the house. Not nice, but perseverance – and trying other tools at the same time – eventually got us up and running.

sirromj

Grabbed a balloon out the car

manvstarmac

Watched a plumber lay an unfolded newspaper across an almost full to the brim pan. Waited for it to become sodden on the sheets touching the water before he pushed hard on it a couple of times in succession. Blockage disappeared and water flowed again.

Never had reason to try it myself since. Not hugely keen to either despite his success.

Phil_H

No toilet plunger, Put a mop in a bin bag and plunge away.
    When the blockage is clear remove the bin bag whilst turning it inside out, catching any nasties in the bag and dispose of it.

wiggles
    Free Member

sirromj – Member

Grabbed a balloon out the car

[/quote]

RustyNissanPrairie

Life ‘hack’ = boiled piss.

It’s called using your noggin.
    Mini rant over.

funkmasterp

Does nobody else want to know why he has a ready supply of balloons in his car?

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Nope :-\

Poopscoop

Cougar

Ok, I’ll go.

Separating an egg. Crack it into a bowl, get a plastic pop bottle, squeeze it, put the neck on the yolk and let go. One separated egg.

shakers97
    Free Member

I love life hacks and this is my fav. If you want to separate a single piece of paper into two smaller sheets, lay the paper down on a flat surface. Take a pair of scissors and start at one edge. Gently squeeze the scissor handles together and move the scissors across the paper. Bingo two pieces of paper when once there was one. Don’t all thank me at once.

timba
    Free Member

Crack it into a bowl

Is this on top of the blockage, or on the unfolded newspaper for hygiene reasons??

Davesport

Aye, clingfilm wrapped round the porcelain to effect a good seal and press down on it (gently) until the blockage dislodges. You’ll see once you try this you get a bit of a resonance going to shift the offending turds. Check your neighbor isn’t doing this at the same time before you start 😯

bigyim
    Free Member

I’m afraid the reason for the balloons in the car is quite depressing. We bought a big bag of balloons for a child loss wave of light rememberance service and they’ve been in the car for months now

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll go.

Separating an egg. Crack it into a bowl, get a plastic pop bottle, squeeze it, put the neck on the yolk and let go. One separated egg.

Are you trying to advise using this method for separating said Blockage from the Pan bowl? 😯

grenosteve
    Free Member

Unblocking the toilet – 2l plastic bottle with the bottom cut off, better than any plunger!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Um, we did the clingfilm trick in a converted flat i lived in about 20 years ago in France.
    When the blockage finally popped the guy on the ground floor got almost the entire back blast.
    A couple of hundred litres of sewage from the second and third floors.

(A family on the first floor had been putting nappies, food waste and all sorts of rubbish down the pipes………)

Must have been horrific, the top two floors had about a dozen cyclists living in three shared flats……..

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Ok, I’ll go.

Separating an egg. Crack it into a bowl, get a plastic pop bottle, squeeze it, put the neck on the yolk and let go. reach into bowl and gently pick up yolk, place into whatever you need egg yolk for. One separated egg.

wwaswas

Must have been horrific

When I was in Bristol a landlord had to get Dynarod in for a blocked loo.

He must have got the pressure wrong because my friend said the inside of the bathroom was almost entirely pebble dashed when the Dynarod bloke staggered out covered in poo, tissue and sanitary towels.

globalti
    Free Member

I find that a full bucket of water poured into the pan from shoulder height does the same trick by momentum.

trailwagger
    Free Member

+1 for the cling film.

Spread it over the top of the pan (use plenty to get a good seal). Press on it repeatedly and the blockage will clear.

retro83
    Free Member

timba – Member

Is this on top of the blockage, or on the unfolded newspaper for hygiene reasons??

😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie – Member

Life ‘hack’ = boiled piss.

This x1000 👿

scaredypants

When the blockage finally popped the guy on the ground floor got almost the entire back blast.
    A couple of hundred litres of sewage from the second and third floors

My office is in the basement floor of a large public building, quite close to the exit point of a large foul drain
    We like to think of it as “the shower of shite” for exactly the above reason (without the clingfilm)

allthepies
    Free Member

Life hacks – get in the sea.

scaredypants

Life hacks – get in the sea

what does that achieve – washing off the shite ?

zokes
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator – Block User – Quote
    Ok, I’ll go.

Or, crack it and gently pour out the white from one half of the shell, then transfer the yolk to the other half whilst letting the remaining white flow out and get on with the rest of your life.

akira

Have to try the cling film hint, boy number two could block a train tunnel.

natrix
    Free Member

Dropping calcium carbide (used in caving carbide lamps) used to be the standard operating procedure to clear the frequently blocking outside loo at a mendip caving hut. (Carbide reacts with water to generate acetylene gas, the gas would clear any blockage). Worked well until some poor soul wandered in with a lit cigerette in his mouth, and the build up of acetylene gas went boom 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Or, crack it and gently pour out the white from one half of the shell, then transfer the yolk to the other half whilst letting the remaining white flow out and get on with the rest of your life.

OR! http://amzn.eu/3XN7DkQ

only 36p 😆

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Blocked toilet? No plunger? Life hacks’ is closed to new replies.