Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • blocked grub screw on rebound adjuster – Help!
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

When trying to replace the oil on my forks I’ve managed (god knows how) to snap the end of the 1.5mm allen key off in the grub screw on the rebound adjuster – this means I can’t get the grub screw off.

Any ideas on how to sort this out? Am I going to hell?

I’ve tried magnets, tapping it, banging it, hitting it, using a pin, using a needle, pushing it in as far as possible to use the allen key… next option is drilling it out 😕

Greybeard
    Free Member

Trying to drill it out may be all that’s needed. Assuming you were trying to turn it anticlockwise when it broke, and it’s jammed in because it’s rotated in the socket, the clockwise torque of the drill may free it. Drip some oil in first and drill gently, to avoid jamming it the other way.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Superglue on another allen key and carefully pull the broken bit out?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Interesting idea, I was thinking if I cn get the adjuster off I can order a new one and still use the fork

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ashy – I did think of that but worried about the risk of supergluing the Allen key to the rebound adjuster 😯

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Is it acetone that dissolves superglue? Nothing lost in that case. Maybe a totally daft idea but try hoovering it out whilst poking it?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Good point on both points 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Tried the superglue and no joy. Then tried drilling it out and I think the allen key piece is hardened as the drill is just spinning and having no effect 🙁

Gutted.

tthew

If you are planning on replacing the adjuster, use a fine tooth junior hacksaw to cut a slot through the adjuster and grubscrew and use a screwdriver. (would be my next plan of attack, not promising it’ll work).

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Bluetack?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Small drill bit in reverse. You’ll only need to just snag some of the Allen key/grub screw assembly and the whole thing will come out. Possibly quite quickly.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Will give that a go. Depressed at how few options left other than ordering a new rebound damper at £140 a go!!!

carlos
    Free Member

OP – can you not just sacrifice the rebound adjuster?? Thinking along the lines of carefully hacksaw one side and prise open?

What fork is it and have you any pics

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Not sure, it’s a bit tight in there…

The forks are a pair of Marzocchi 350 NCR

[Grumble]Stupid 1.5mm hex grub screw!!![/grumble]

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You weren’t using a ball end in there were you?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

yeah, wasn’t thinking. It was one of those “Doh!” Homer Simpson moments you have in life that you instantly regret.

VanHalen

araldite a second allen key in?

carlos
    Free Member

Hmmm, swap out the hacksaw for a Dremmel?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Is araldite the same as superglue? If so I did it this morning…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve got a Dremel – any suggestions on what bit to use? cutting wheel or diamond tip drill or another?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘blocked grub screw on rebound adjuster – Help!’ is closed to new replies.