Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bloc Sunglasses any good ?
  • righog
    Free Member

I was in the airport the other trying on some of the expensive sunglasses to pass the time. I quite liked some Bloc ones and checked out the price expecting them to be the usual £100 + like the Ray Bans Oakley Police etc but blow me down they were only £40.

Checked out there Website and they look OK

anybody had them ? got any real world reviews ?

Bloc

bear-uk
    Free Member

Bloc are very value for money. Had some for a few years now and still going strong unlike some Oakleys that ended up with a broken frame.

dannybgoode

Have a look in TK Maxx – they have some smashing sunnies. Got myself a pair of Smith Optic Polarised for £16 and checked the Smith website and they are listed ast $200.

Also got a nice pair of Nike Optics for £16.

stumpy01

Yep, got 2 pairs of blocs and really like them.

Mate of mine bought some at the 24/12 a few yrs ago – the ones with interchangeable lenses. I borrowed them a few weeks ago and was amazed how comfortable they were; felt like I didn’t have any on after a few mins…

sweepy
    Free Member

I had a pair of blocs that were great, actually got another two pairs expecting to lose a couple, unfortunately I lost all three.

the-muffin-man

I’ve had several pairs – all been very good. Really can’t see why you’d spend more.

My sunny of choice now.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Always had Bloc’s before, always been fine. Last year got a pair of Oakley’s reduced to £80 from about £120 and I struggle to see where the extra cash is. You’re paying for the brand for sure, the lenses on cheap sunglasses have been demonstrated to be as good at filtering all UV radiation as expensive ones, so functionally there is no difference. Just down to aesthetics and branding.

righog
    Free Member

Thanks all. Great stuff.

I was actually looking for a normal/driving glasses like these.

but they also have a decent pair suitable for cycling with photochromic lenses, which I think I will try out as well.

loddrik
    Free Member

Got 3 pairs of Blocs now, won’t waste my money on anything more expensive.

They were initially recommended to me on here.

Drac

Very good for their price.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Had a pair of casual ones for a good few years. Great value

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The guys on the shop floor at work have some funky looking Bloc safety specs, not too dissimilar to the ones in the lower photo above, but with iridium style lenses. Been after a pair for a while.

stumpy01

Righog, I’ve got exactly those casual glasses that you put a picture up of, but they are branded as Tog24.
    Same frame though with a graduated tint on the lens.

Loads better than the expensive Raybans that I had previously – somewhat annoyingly…

AlanMc100
    Free Member

I currently have four pairs of Blocs & two pairs of Oakleys, and I would honestly say that the Bloc lenses suffer a lot less of the “niggly little scratches” than the Oakleys do.

jam-bo

I had a set of Bloc polarised glasses that gave me a splitting headache within about 20 mins of putting them on.

pirahna
    Free Member

I’m going to TK Max tomorrow.

skids
    Free Member

i have seen these block glasses in tkmaxx, they look alright

wallop

Love mine.

binners

Bloc sunglasses are brilliant for the money. I have to say that when I went to them to get some replacement lenses for my Shifter XR’s, their customer service is absolutely fantastic too!

They stock them in Trespass outlet stores too, if you’ve no luck in TK Maxx

stumpy01

stumpy01 – Member

Righog, I’ve got exactly those casual glasses that you put a picture up of, but they are branded as Tog24.

Knew I had a picture of them on flickr somewhere. Not sure a job as a sunglasses model is beckoning – don’t think the piggy eyed squint into the morning sun will catch on!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/gnEWfz]13-06-30 DSCN4459[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have had five pairs of Bloc and lost them all except one pair I trod on. Far cheaper to lose than Oakley and just as good at being trodden on.

toby1

I had a pair with little rubber grippers on the nose bridge – both fell off after a not maassive amount of use. I’d probably buy again though as I’m clumsy as hell with glasses so my current RayBan’s have a limited life span.

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, BLOC are pretty nice, especially if you can find them in TKMAXX.
    I’ve had two pairs from TKMAXX, and a paid of Very nice Nike shades, which retail at £75, all for around £10 per pair.

righog
    Free Member

Just bought both pairs in the above picture for £65 ( No access to TKMaxx atm ) from the website. I am looking forward to the photochromic ones for riding.

When I was trying on the glasses in the airport I actually preferred the BLOCS to the Ray bans, and the price was a bit of a bonus.

and thanks for all the comments 🙂

SiofCannock
    Free Member

The length of the arms (if that’s what they’re called) can vary a bit I have found. But I have three pairs currently and have had a few more over the years, all very good indeed.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m not sure I agree that the Oakley lenses are tougher. I know that with cheaper glasses I am not as careful as I am with my Oakleys so I tend to abuse them more and as a result they pick up scrates on the lens. I treat my Oakleys with kids gloves and if I treated Bloc glasses I had before with the same care they would remain as spottless as my Oakleys have.

dantsw13

I constantly need decent sunglasses in my job as a commercial pilot. I’ve used allsorts down the years, but now I always have a set of Bolle Contour in my flightbag. £9 a pair.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bloc Sunglasses any good ?’ is closed to new replies.