Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • B*ll*cks to push bikes!
  • amplebrew

The seating position on the GSA is great and the extra height does give a much better view. It’s a bit like sitting on the top deck on the bus.

I did an 8hr stint on my GSA earlier this week without a single ache or pain, which is a lot better than my previous bikes. They’re so comfy.

The other great thing about the GSA is that everyone moves out of you way. They’ve got amazing presence on the road.

My initial draw to the GSA was the looks though. It’s like a big Tonka toy 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Why the gsa over the gs? Not having a go its a genuine question. I would love a gs but the gsa seems a bit big and unwieldy. My f650 left this morning. Sad…..

amplebrew

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Why the gsa over the gs? Not having a go its a genuine question. I would love a gs but the gsa seems a bit big and unwieldy. My f650 left this morning. Sad…..

I did test ride a standard GS first, but GSA won me over. I did originally shy away from the GSA as I assumed it would be too big for me. Turned out that it was spot on and I fell head over heels.

I prefer the higher seating position and the weather / wind protection of the GSA with the larger fuel tank and bigger screen with the winglets. The fuel tank is so big that it’s nearly like having a fairing.

I also prefer the handling of the GSA, even though the standard GS is no doubt the lighter and sportier bike. I found the GSA to be much more stable in the corners and also easier to ride at slow speed. For me, the GSA feels the smoother and more balanced between the two. Once moving, the GSA just shrinks away and you soon forget how big it is.

The 2015 standard GS comes with the heavier flywheel from the Adventure now, so a standard GS might be just as smooth.

The GSA also came with the spoked wheels, crash protection and aluminium pannier mounts as standard.

I’d recommend anyone to test ride either 1200GS and get a good few miles in, as they really are an eye opening bike. They handle so well, ride far lighter than they look and are a really confidence inspiring bike. It’s just overcoming that initial fear of them looking so big.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

wilburt – Member

When i was a kid more than i want a Jensen Interceptor, a Mongoose BMX or possibly even a nude picture of Farrah Fawcett I wanted a BMW motor bike with the sticky out cylinders.

Not sure now, I would only want one if I had the time and money to ride it around the world.

Go the otherway and get a boxercup replika? The motorbike equivalent of a BTCC volvo estate race car.

grunty
    Free Member

So, 3 months and 6K miles (how did that happen) later, it has been a blast. Been off roading in the chilterns (legal routes only I’ll have you know) and only dropped it once.

I say dropped, I actually mean lowered it to the ground – with a full 33L tank after trying to hitch up my troos whilst getting on it and losing balance. I thought i’d never get it off the ground, but to my surprise it was incredibly easy.

Riding it is so simple, very light to chuck into corners compared sports tourers bikes that i’ve tested (my new saturday past time – ride a new bike for free for an hour) now passed my IAM advanced rider course and this thing can mix it with Ninjas and GSX-Rs all day long and still get 50mpg and no cramp for me.

Two up is a doddle, have to keep checking the wife is still on the back. She must find it comfy as she had fallen asleep on the M’way at 90+ mph, I only knew she was alseep when some asshat decided to pull from the middle into the fast lane and i had to tap the brakes and she slammed into me.

Still not ridden a push bike since, need to soon otherwise I’ll be needing to buy a bigger pair of troos, but it is so much fun!

robidoo
    Free Member

Nice report grunty, I too passed my bike test recently.
    I have yet to test ride the big GS but plan to take one out in the next few weeks.
    I took a Triumph Street triple R out last week followed by a Tiger 800xc, the Street was brill to ride with lots of power for a small engine.
    However the Tiger just felt right, not as much grunt of the street but still quick and really comfortable.
    Did you take any other bikes out or were you set on the BMW?
    Like the look of the new Tracer too.

grunty
    Free Member

I really wanted the triumph explorer as that has the sweet triple triple engine but the insurance was nearly 3 times the price of the Beemer.

I also road the yammy tenere but it felt really basic. I also road the Mt09 but it was just a little too small for two riding (I’m a well built 6ft 17st chap) but that engine was nice.

I’ve ridden the ktm 1190 but that was too bonkers, brilliant but bonkers.

The new bmw s1000xr is amazing, so quick with fantastic suspension, on the se anyway, and almost the same ride position. If I wanted to lose my licence that would be the bike to get!

allthegear
    Free Member

I really fancy that s1000xr…

Rachel

grunty
    Free Member

I would love one but , it just keeps screaming ‘give me more b*tch, I can take it!’ I tore up an M3 and a 911 with 15mins of starting the test ride!

kayla1
    Free Member

+1 firestarter- I haven’t ridden my motorbike for nearly a year now, having got back into MTBing after a few years off. I do have a hankering for a 250 2t supermoto though…

rwamartin
    Free Member

Just downsized. Sold the Transalp and bought one of these (Yamaha TTR250 Raid):

Great on the back lanes. Small is beautiful.

Did a days green laning with Trail-Rides Wales

An excellent day out on their CRF250L.

Rich.

kayla1
    Free Member

Ooh… TTR250 😀 Could be the perfect everyday frugal potterer/weekend hooning tool with 17″ wheels fitted and still not be that far from the letter of the law 😈

kayla1
    Free Member

Speaking of cheap, dirty fun, I had one of these a few years ago-

They are awesome on a stick.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Love that TW. Bit of a soft spot for the Van Van myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘B*ll*cks to push bikes!’ is closed to new replies.