Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Blisters or Cold Sores from Energy Gels or Drinks
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve started getting cold sores every few days, quite small ones, that don’t last long, on my lips, I’ve now got a few small looking cold sore or blisters on my skin, arms, hip thigh, and quite a large one on my wrist. It all seems to have come on since I upped my mileage in my Great North Run prep and started using SIS Go Gels and SIS Go tabs. I’ve basically had some sort of cold sore for the past month or so. I seem to remember energy gels having the inside of my mouth blistered a few years ago on a bike ride, but they’re not something I’ve used regularly before.

So, is this actually feasible, and if so, what shall I use instead. Fuel wise, I don’t think I’m dependent on them, although I’m not sure as I’m slow so 13 mile is going to take me well over two hours, but I certainly rely on them as part of my routine in my longer runs to break things up,

Any ideas?

(*Having a cold sore is not in itself unusual, usually get one a year)

yunki
    Free Member

Sounds like the start of a shingles outbreak.. Which could end up with you feeling very rough if you don’t get treated..

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Sounds like the start of a shingles outbreak.. Which could end up with you feeling very rough if you don’t get treated..

Don’t say that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    highclimber
    Free Member

Cold sores are a virus. not likely to be from an energy gel unless it was mouthed by someone with the herpes

ojom
    Free Member

What the man says. You may be run down and not realise it. I get sores and ulcers and something else altogether unpleasant at the back door when stressed (don’t even need to feel stressed – just be under pressure) and run down.

Go see a doc.

Stop the gels anyway. Just cause.

scotroutes

Blisters/ulcers in theouth can be caused by excess sugar but cold sores are caused by the herpes virus. Like any virus, you are mire susceptible when run down. Could be you are just pushin yourself too much.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

Cold sores suck, there’s not much you can do about those. I always get one when in the alps due to a combination of UV and being knackered.
    There are some things in clinical trial in the US http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-37314/Is-cure-cold-sores.html don’t know how that will turn out.
    How about instead of adding calories, try something so you burn the ones you have more efficiently.
    Try those beet it beetroot juices before you ride, apparently according to Horizon or whatever the program was I watched, they give you an extra 16% of endurance.

dantsw13

I’d say more likely caused by you upping your mileage than the drinks.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cheers peeps. I’ve got no long runs left until the actual event now, five mile tomorrow with just a bottle of water, and I may do a three miler during the week, so I’ll see how it goes.

zero-cool
    Free Member

As above, most likely a virus or something that’s flaring up as your body is getting run down, so you immune system drops. If it continues see GP but I’d suggest rest and healthy diet for a bit but I assume you’re going to keep training until after your event.
    Energy els and strong stuff like that can cause blisters in your mouth sometimes as they’re very concentrated but not on the rest of your body.
    Beetroot juice and similar fad wonder foods tend to not have any real evidence to back up their claims, but making sure your diet is good, contains lots of fruit, etc should help your immune system, but most likely rest is what you need.

Good luck on the Great North Run

Tom Kp

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I get cold sores and I am convinced that artificial sweetener can trigger an outbreak. Coincidentally, SIS is full of the stuff.

Of course, I have no empirical data to back this up, but I avoid artificially sweetened products like the plague.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re run down to me.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I feel like I’ve been run down at the moment. 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Are the sores near joints?

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Cold sores are horrible things and I used to suffer from them on a regular basis until I tried this,

http://www.vcs.eu.com/

It’s a fantastic little machine with no mess from creams etc, and seems to stop 90% of my cold sore attacks, those that do carry on are less severe and clear up quicker. Also as an added bonus my attacks are far less frequent than they used to be.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Chunky. I wouldn’t say these things are specifically near my joints.

Pocketrocket, how long have you used that for?

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I’ve had it for about 3 or 4 years.
    If I remember correctly brought it on a half price offer for about 20 quid from Lloyds chemist.
    As I said, I cant recommend it highly enough, though after having had a mild attack of shingles myself many years ago, my money would be on that as your current problem.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Again Shingles episodes commonly happen when you’re run down and immune system is low.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

pocketrocket – Member
    Cold sores are horrible things and I used to suffer from them on a regular basis until I tried this,

http://www.vcs.eu.com/

It’s a fantastic little machine with no mess from creams etc, and seems to stop 90% of my cold sore attacks, those that do carry on are less severe and clear up quicker. Also as an added bonus my attacks are far less frequent than they used to be.

I get a MALWARE WARNING from Google when trying to access that page. Watch out.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I get a MALWARE WARNING from Google when trying to access that page. Watch out

It would seem that no issues are detected when using Internet explorer but when I viewed it with Google chrome, Mcafee seemed to think it was a dangerous site??

Anyhow here’s a different link to the same item which to my untrained IT skills seems Ok.

http://www.virulite.eu/about-virulite/

paulosoxo
    Free Member

UPDATE

Well, it’s almost a year later, I’m at the same point in my training as before, and I’ve started to use sis gels as part of my run. Had one at four miles and one at seven, as well as 500ml of sis hydro tab mixed with water.

At around 8 miles I started getting a tingling on the end of my tongue and centre of both my lips. I’ve just checked after I got out of the shower and I have a tiny blister on the end of my tongue, and both lips are tingly in the centre, so
    I’m now convinced that either the gels don’t agree with me, or I’ve managed to cut my tongue on the foil packaging.

Nobody else had the same?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Blisters or Cold Sores from Energy Gels or Drinks’ is closed to new replies.