Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • blingy road shorts – Rapha Classic vs Assos T.equipe s7 ?
  • iainc

anyone tried both and have a view on preference ?

Following another thread I recently got the Rapha Classics but ain’t convinced. CRC and free returns may be getting a visit for the Assos ones but keen for real world experiences first.

Am 5ft 10.5, 34 waist, 12 stone 2, short legs long back. The Rapha Classics in L feel maybe a little big so am waiting for a pair of Mediums to compare, though I suspect the shoulder straps may be a bit short, which is a common issue for me

peteimpreza

Yes , after being a long time Assos fan I found the Classics to be much nicer all round , had to go down a size from Assos . Medium to large .

No issues with the length of the shoulder straps. They are meant to be a little tight when stood up straight but just right when in a riding position .

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Assos reduced at Ribble at the moment FYI.

iainc

useful, thanks. The Classics seem very stretchy which makes them seem loose, even though I am right size on their sizing info. They seem to bunch a little on the upper leg/thigh. I will try the mediums before investigating Assos ones, cheers

mrmo
    Free Member

not quite the same, but i have a set of Rapha Cores and a set of Assos Neo Pros, the Cores have a VERY irritating seam down the middle of the pad. I believe the pad is the same on the classics????

Admittedly the seam issue only kicks in longish rides, 90-100+miles but it is a niggle you don’t want.

nathb
    Free Member

I’m going to quote you from the other thread:

nathb – Member

iainc – Member
    ^^^^ how you find the sizing on the Rapha ? I recently got a pair of their Classics in Large, which is as per size guide but they are so stretchy I might try a medium… 5ft 10.5, 34 waist, 12 stone 2….
    The Large ones seem to wrinkle a bit around thigh area, but maybe just the material

Regarding Rapha, I recently bought some core bibs, tried them on in the shop beforehand.

I found the medium to be the best fit I’m 6ft, 32″ waist, 10 stone 5. My castelli bibs are all large (due to the straps).[/quote]

I think the mediums will be better, the material is so stretchy.

I think I have quite large thighs as I managed to convert most of my previous 15 stone bulk into muscle in that area, and the thigh area is the area with least room on the shorts for me.

iainc

thanks nathb, that is good to know – mediums are on their way !

iainc

Rapha Core ones turned up yesterday – pretty impressed with them on first look. Tighter and more compressive fit than the Classics’s in same size. Identical pad to Classic but more ‘normal’ lycra than the Classic soft stretchy material.

Some Classic’s in next size down plus some Assos S7’s on their way to make some comparisons 🙂

iainc

Well the Rapha Classics are going back as they tend to bunch up. The Rapha Core are good, although the leg grippers are a bit gappy off the bike (seems common issue with them reading reviews). The Assos Equipe haven’t arrived yet, but the wildcard, the DHB ASV Race ones, at a miserly £60 arrived this morning and were put to test on a shortish hour and half ride this afternoon. They are very good and are a big step up from the Aeron’s.

iainc

so, an update.

The DHB ASV Race seem to be the best of the bunch for me. Couple of rides at weekend, a 25 and a 50 miler and they felt great, with no discomfort and a great fit (L). The Assos ones (L) were gappy on the leg grippers, a bit like the Rapha Core ones (L).

Might try Rapha Brevit, but given sizing weirdness with Classics/Core and the fact that the DHB ones are 1/3 of the price I might not 🙂

Anyone with Brevit’s care to say how they fit ?

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Received the new DHB Aeron bib shorts and the DHB ASV Race today.

Both size medium, but the leg grippers on the ASV Race are baggy around my thighs just above the knee.

Nice length and great pad, I already own the ASV bib tights, but the fit with the Aeron shorts is just so much better for my body shape. Not sure yet how much an improvement there is with new the pad on the Aeron shorts.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just to add a curve ball, I’ve been trying some Madison Sportive Race bibs recently. They’re very, very good indeed. Great fit, great pad, and some of the best value for money kit I’ve used in ages.

Sadly, they do have the word Sportive written on them, though. 🙁

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Another curve ball to add. Merlin Wear Elite bibs have been awesome for the price.

iainc

I tried the Madison ones but pad was a poor fit, received Rapha Brevet in Large today and Mediums should arrive Sat. Large is a bit loose, largely as so stretchy like the Classics

Merlin ones are out of stock but will keep an eye on stock

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Further curve ball, I’ve been using Velobici Victor and Verne shorts recently, they beat Rapha out of the water for comfort, I also had the DHB ones and frankly, thought them a bit crap. Sure, they’re expensive but made in UK from UK sourced materials, the quality is superb.

Used a brand new pair of Victor’s at the Majorca 312 and didn’t have any ill effects or rubbing at all, which is more than I can say for the Rapha Pro’s I had which I have only ridden for 25 miles before deciding they weren’t for me.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve used asoss regularly and have just been trying some red/white shorts. New company, very different pad from the asoss but equally comfy

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A RedWhite is not a fashion accessory. It is a finely tuned Weapon

And then, the pad being designed by a “disruptive Italian company”?

Ahhm oot.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘blingy road shorts – Rapha Classic vs Assos T.equipe s7 ?’ is closed to new replies.