Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Blencathra – Lakes
  • fergal
    Free Member

Anyone ridden this, via Scales tarn looks promising, how natural is it, just trying to weigh up options, Ta.

djglover
    Free Member

Via Sharp edge LOL

I don’t think so!

fergal
    Free Member

Doh! the trail comes down over to the left, have seen pics on here it don’t look too gnarly.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I reckon you could push/carry up the back of foule Crag, and then down over Scales Fell and Mousethwaite Combe. Bit cheeky though and gets busy, so best go at a time to avoid the walkers.

The trails down the Glenderamakin are good, especially the one under Sharp Edge

P8080011 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

And Mousethwaite Combe is a good fun short steep blast.

(And as for cheeky, Mr Wainwright himself describes the path on the east side of the Glenderamakin as a bridleway)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

In fact, I might give it a go this weekend. 🙂

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ve come off towards Souther Fell once upon a time, was pretty cool.

fergal
    Free Member

Cheers Bandito poss tomorrow.

lowey

I have heard a rumour (and watched the video) that certain members of the Keswick Tuesday night ridersNutters, do it.

I often thought that the descend from Scales Tarn to Scales would make a cracking run.

Most certainly a night time only run though.

Up via Blease Fell, along the ridge and down along Foule Crag then double back on yourself to pick up the Scale tarn path.

Trekster

mmmm must give that a go. Got a rough route outline bandito?
    seems lots of people using footpaths these days!!

grum
    Free Member

Hope he won’t mind me reproducing this – got it from someone else on the forum

Blencathra route I took was

(we camped at Gillhead farm so rode from there)
    Mungriside – onto the footpath west following the river Glenderamackin up to Mungriside Common.
    Its not on the map (but on google earth) there is a steep trail up to foule crag and then the summit of Blencathra.

Descent – (again not on the map but visible on google earth)
    From the summit head NE down the wide doubletrack as if going down Scales Fell. After a couple of switchbacks you will see a feint trail heading left towards Scales tarn. This opens up into really good steep singletrack down to the tarn.

From the tarn follow the marked footpath SE along the opposite bank of the Glenderamackin. Its nice flowing trail centre type riding (apart from a section of very steep steps, one of our group cleared it but its pretty nasty!). After about a mile you will see a track going slightly up to your right. Follow this and you get some really nice tech singletrack then a steep loose surfy section. Straight over the 4 way trail crossroads and then the last section down to the A66 and scales. Coming out about 100m from the pub (really good cheap burgers!)

In fact, I might give it a go this weekend.

Dunno if you were joking but I really wouldn’t do it at a weekend – unless early or late on.

edit: sorry just noticed the bit in your other post 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Blencathra – Lakes’ is closed to new replies.