Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bleeding shimano m666 slx brakes. can i use my avid bleed kit?
  • imnotamused
    Free Member

As title really. Can I use/modify my avid bleed kit to save me buying a new shimano one and if so, how?

ojom
    Free Member

I would say no. Shimano use mineral oil and your Avid kit will have remnants of DOT in it.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Good point

munrobiker
    Free Member

Wot the bike chain said.

Also there’s no real need for a special kit- nip down the vets and get a syringe (I paid 24p last time) and get a little piece of hose and attach it to the bleed nipple on the caliper and then take off the plug on the lever and push the new fluid through. You might want to get the new shimano bleed tool which about £6 and basically just a little bucket that screws in to the port. You could alternatively just soak it all up with a rag.

ojom
    Free Member

nip down the vets and get a syringe

Stoodent junky!

imnotamused
    Free Member

I like a good bodge munro. Nice

munrobiker
    Free Member

It helps if you’re not a mid 20’s wearing your shop mechanic’s clothes, otherwise they look at you funny and assume the same as TBC. Mind you, if you went in wearing a suit they might think you’re Peter Jones or something…

TBC- be warned, I’m now no longer a bike shop staffer so there’ll be some orders for weird nonsense going your way. You still able to get Orange if I beg?

ojom
    Free Member

Nope. Beg all you like but nope.

Superficial
    Free Member

On the old Shimano brakes you didn’t need anything to bleed ’em. Just pour fluid in the top end and squeeze the brakes to pump fluid down the hose out of the (open) bleed nipple. I’m not saying that’s the most effective way (it’s also messy) but it works in a bind. Not sure if the new ones are different though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding shimano m666 slx brakes. can i use my avid bleed kit?’ is closed to new replies.