Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bleeding Shimano Brakes – bodging.
  • tinribz
    Free Member

Or more precisely putting the fluid in for the first time.

I see various kits and methods online but they use all sorts of tubes and bottles. All I have is the bottle of mineral oil.

Has anyone achieved an install or bleed using commonly found household objects before. Any tips?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You dont need anything other than the bottle of mineral oil, aslong as you take your time.

– You need to take the reservoir cap off and pour in some mineral oil

– open the bleed nipple on the caliper slightly then squeeze the brake lever. Keep the lever held in and close the bleed nipple. Repeat this method till the system is full of oil.

– Keep tapping the hose every now and then to encourage any air upto the lever.

I have bled my brakes effectively this way and it works, its just easier with a syringe to bleed from the caliper.

munkster
    Free Member

I did it like what "59 times…" said above.

What *was* different for me was that the oil wouldn't disappear out of the reservoir no matter how much I tapped things trying to gently cajole it into the hose.

Fearing defeat I "went away" (cursing) for about 10 mins and it must've done the trick, when I came back the reservoir was empty and the system filled up no probs thereafter…

Just in case that happens to you. Cursing and "going away" can help!

antigee

is it essential to remove the caliper from the bike so that you get a good gravity feed? – i've only done it once and found had to do this which is wot it says on the shimano site

PJay
    Free Member

It's useful to have a bit of clear hose (I think aquarium hose should fit the nipple) and a plastic bag fitted over it with an elastic band to catch excess fluid (probably worth taking the pads out too and fitting the yellow spacer block). If the hose is clear you can see when the fluid's exiting the system and also check for bubbles. Once the system is full I think it's just a case of closing the bleed nipple and cycling the lever to bring any air up into the reservoir. That technique worked for me, I had a bit of a fear of bleeding hydraulic brakes but was amazed just how easy it was after being forced to do so after popping out a piston too far and losing all my fluid.

tinribz
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, was going a bit slow so raided a chemistry set and the bathroom to set up a vacuum with a shower gel bottle. First time fail, second time success.

One down 1 to go.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding Shimano Brakes – bodging.’ is closed to new replies.