Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bleeding new shimano brakes/swapping hoses
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

The new slx brakes from rose are set up eurpo style, how easy is it to change hoses? How do you bleed these – can’t find anything on the shimano site 🙁 do i need the funnel?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Very easy to change hoses over without bleeding. Bleeding is much easier with the funnel, I certainy wouldn’t like to do it without.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Piece of piss Rob.

Take the wheel out, pump the lever until the pads meet, snip the hose, install new olive and insert and refit to lever then push pistons back in. Works pretty much every time and leaves no need to bleed.

If you don’t manage to get it to work then pop by the shop and I’ll show you how to bleed them.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I did my Deore 596 without even pumping the pads out. Took less than 20 minutes to fit the levers, callipers and cut both hoses. Not even enough time to drink a beer.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you bought front and reat brakes just swap the hoses over without cutting them, other than that as above.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That is fine if you have a very large frame but if you have anything else it will leave big tree catcher loops of hose waggling about.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

matt – sounds like when i did my old slx and xt 🙂

is there a bleed nipple on the lever to open when i push the pistons back in case any air needs to escape?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Nope, just leave everything shut, it’ll be fine

rob-jackson
    Free Member

swapped em and chopped em – all good – 10 mins

honourablegeorge

Here’s a guide that I used:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0008-downloadFile.html/02%29%20Brake%20Hose%20Trimming.pdf

And here’s a great video on bleeding them:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-shimano-brake-bleed-2010.html

If you use the former, you won’t need the latter. Just keep the end of the hose above the caliper at all times,

rob-jackson
    Free Member

george if you read – i did it and 10 mins later no issues

ciderinsport
    Free Member

No need to bleed!

Follow the guide on this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-xt-m785-brakes/page/6

I did it in 10 mins!!

Cheers DezB 😆

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The link is for bleeding ‘old’ style Shimano brakes. The new ones have a bleed port on top of the reservoir cover.

Anyone know if I can bleed new ones like the old ones by completely removing the reservoir cover?

TrentSteel
    Free Member

easier and less panicky with 2 people, one to push the pistons back in whilst you re-insert hose with lever/resevoir need new olive & insert

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yes, but do I need that Shimano funnel for bleeding the new style or can I get away without it somehow?

DT78
    Free Member

Well I managed to completely f this up last night. One lever the olive crushed at a funny angle so it leaked from the lever, the other I can,t retract the pads now. Need to buy a olive and bleed kit now. With a thread of people saying how easy it is doesn,t help my mood!.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how did you f up a simple job like that?

DT78
    Free Member

I imagine beer didn’t help

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding new shimano brakes/swapping hoses’ is closed to new replies.