• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jabbi.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bleeding Hope Brakes
  • honourablegeorge

What a joy. 5 minutes, don’t even need the pads out.

SirHC

don’t even need the pads out.

I see you like to live dangerously!

By far the easiest to bleed, no silly tools to remember or syringes to fire brake fluid everywhere.

teethgrinder

+1

How anyone would want Shimano or Avid/SRAM after experiencing Hope bleeding I don’t know.

honourablegeorge

Yeah. It’s just so….logical. Fresh fluid in at the top, pump all the crap out the bottom. Gravity is your friend.

Am sat wondering why I can’t bleed Shimano brakes in the same way.

tjagain

The shimano type setup up saves on components thus weight. Its also sleeker. However I far prefer the simplicity of the Hope system despite the few grammes extra it costs

Gotama
    Free Member

I always make a mess around the lever when adding the fluid in. What do people use to wash the dot fluid off?

As a side wouldn’t it make sense if they designed the reservoir so the top sat level when you rotate the levers round to bleed them. Found it easier tilting the bike on a stand last time. Or as a recent Hope adopter am I missing something 😳

Onzadog
    Free Member

I still choose to bleed bottom up with a syringe on my hopes but still my favourite brakes regardless.

RobHilton
    Free Member

As a side wouldn’t it make sense if they designed the reservoir so the top sat level when you rotate the levers round to bleed them.

AMIRIT different rise bars would make this impossible? Different bars would have different angles to the rise??

tjagain

dot fluid just washes off with water IIRC

fathomer

As a side wouldn’t it make sense if they designed the reservoir so the top sat level when you rotate the levers round to bleed them. Found it easier tilting the bike on a stand last time. Or as a recent Hope adopter am I missing something

It’s a pain in the arse trying to get the reservoir level, particularly with a crap workstand! But yeah, they’re certainly easy (though not 5 minites) to bleed and a joy in use 😀

And as for cleaning, a spray of IPA, not ale, seems to work well.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

As a side wouldn’t it make sense if they designed the reservoir so the top sat level when you rotate the levers round to bleed them. Found it easier tilting the bike on a stand last time. Or as a recent Hope adopter am I missing something

They used to be like this 😉

I’m still running Mini Monos and you don’t even need to rotate the levers as the reservoirs are near parallel to the ground !

Not so with Tech 2 or 3 levers, and as you say, it’s annoying to have to rotate the levers and lean the bike against something just at the right angle.

With regards to removing the pads, aside to the risk of spilling fluid, it’s also recommended that when bleeding, you push the pistons back into the caliper as this helps remove any trapped air, and also prevents you overfilling the hydraulic circuit. But if you’re in a hurry, it’s nice that you can skip all this (as I’ve done occasionally !)

jabbi
    Free Member

@Gotama, turn the bars 90º,so the lever you’re bleeding is over the top tube, this levels out the reservoir and makes it a damn sight easier (assuming you’re talking about tech 3 levers).

@honourablegeorge
    , you can bleed Shimano the same way just half fill the bleed funnel, then bleed down like a Hope, if you were to follow Shimanos instructions to the letter then you are supposed to do this after filling the brake from the bottom up with a syringe.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding Hope Brakes’ is closed to new replies.