Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bleeding brakes
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Got some Hope brakes that I've had on the bike for about 2 or so years and I don't know if its the loose conditions I've been riding in or whether my brakes are needing some attention, but they feel like they aren't stopping as well as they were.

If I bleed them does it really make any difference? What are the benefits?

Macavity
    Free Member

Bleed them if you want. Its really if the lever seems to need to be pulled further/ closer to the bar than normal then it needs looking at.

http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_4.html

You could try new pads first.

z1ppy

Bleeding is simple & well worth doing to improve the overall feel of your brakes with clean fluid and all air out of the system. The fluid get contaiminate pretty easily as even though they may not obviously leak they aren't that well sealed either (dirt gets past the piston seals), so a routine bleed will not do any harm, especially after 2 years use.

Check out the colour of the old fluid compared to the new, and then re-ask yourself the question.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Shouldn't need doing more than every 6 months if everything's OK. One issue I found with my Mono Minis is that they seem to lose power if you have the lever adjusted too close to the bars. Wind the screws in a bit and see if they feel better

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Any brake using dot fluid should have its fluid changed every year. It takes 5 mins and costs pennies – just do it.

Try sanding the pads and re bedding them

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Might bleed them – new pads put on a few weeks ago but its only since the dry weather they seem to be less responsive – might just be me not being used to dry ground – its a novelty!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding brakes’ is closed to new replies.