Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Blatant thievery….maybe too blatant!
  • Beagleboy

A few of us were sitting outside the lab at lunchtime enjoying the sunshine when one of our students pointed out that a chav was taking an interest in some bikes locked up in a covered bike rack about 50m away. As I watched the guy, (and he watched me watching him), he casually pulled out a set of bolt cutters! By the time I’d gotten to my feet and made it about 5m towards him,he was on the bike and away. Now admittedly, I’m not fast off the mark nowadays, but the speed that he nicked that bike was frightening!

I immediately reported it to the lunchtime porter on duty in our building, who’s initial reaction wasn’t over inspiring as he just said, “happens all the time”, but he must have done something as our normal porter just phoned to say that the guy has been nabbed by the coppers with two bikes!

CCTV cameras everywhere, lunchtime in the centre of Glasgow’s West end, whilst being watched by folk, and it didn’t phase him a bit. Must have taken him all of 10 secs to pull the bolt cutters out, cut the lock and jump on the bike.

At least the only disappointed person today will be the chav. Good work from the University porters and the Police!

C.

ebennett

See, what you were dealing with there wasn’t a chav – it was a ned. A ned is like distilled essence of chav…

Northwind

Doing it so openly, might even have been a bam

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_M
    Free Member

See, what you were dealing with there wasn’t a chav – it was a ned. A ned is like distilled essence of chav…

Beaten to it, you need to get your terminology correct 🙂

The ned would probably have chibbed you for calling him a chav or at least stuck the heid.

ebennett

Scotland is so good at producing neds that we even have different sub-species of them 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve watched a guy walk up to a bike and test every bike on a rack then just yank one and ride off on argyle street.

legend
    Free Member

So we know Beagleboy is an outlander then, or even worse *shudders* from Edinburgh!

ebennett

So we know Beagleboy is an outlander then, or even worse *shudders* from Edinburgh!

Nah, he didn’t call him a pleb or an oik 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

You should have spoken to the miscreant in terms he could understand.

“Bolt ya Rocket!” would have been a suitable opening gambit, I suggest.

Beagleboy

Bonnybridge actually. UFO capitol of the UK, 1995!

C. 🙂

warton
    Free Member

A ned is like distilled essence of chav…

Also see, Charva, from Newcastle.

DezB
    Free Member

Worst is when that happens and the chav (it was in this case) rides past you, within STRIKING distance, on your mate’s bike. And you don’t realise until he’s gone. Still seeth about that one…

legend
    Free Member

Beagleboy – Member

C.

But your posts don’t seem to have liberal usage of the words “ken” and “like” – I’m confused.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Maybe time to invest in a crossbow, and shoot him right in the face with it.

“Cut this bolt, ya wee shite!”

poah
    Free Member

where abouts at the uni and you found a porter lol

what lab you work in?

Beagleboy

I work in the Wellcome Centre for Molecular Parasitology in the GBRC next door to the British Heart Foundation. 🙂

poah
    Free Member

I did my PhD in the joseph black. who is your supervisor?

Beagleboy

I’m a research tech. I supervise the supervisors whenever they decide to do some lab work….heaven help us! :-p

maccruiskeen

I immediately reported it to the lunchtime porter on duty in our building

Yeah – don’t go troubling the police while you’re actually witnessing a crime in action. Especially not on their lunch break. 🙂

Beagleboy

It honestly didn’t occur to me to phone the police myself maccruiskeen. I assumed everything was caught on the CCTV at the porter’s desk and as I was standing right at the entrance to the building when the guy legged it with the bike, I just went in and said “Did you see that!”
    They seem to have coordinated with the police and dealt with it very effectively as the guy was caught trying to lift a second bike from the campus soon afterwards. I have to admit that’s probably my first ever encounter with ‘proper’ crime in all my 47yrs and I was just completely taken aback by how brazen he was. I’ll put crimestoppers on my phone just in case something similar happens again, if that’ll make you happier. 😉

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Please don’t ring Crimestoppers for that. Just ring 999.

poah
    Free Member

Beagleboy – Member
    I’m a research tech. I supervise the supervisors whenever they decide to do some lab work….heaven help us! :-p

I’ve been lucky, the people I’ve worked with actually know what they are doing in a lab.

kevj
    Free Member

He’ll be shaking like a shitting dog right now with no gear in him.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Also where I’m from!

DT78
    Free Member

See this is why when I do park my bike up I always shift it out of gear so if someone was to jump on it, it wouldn’t be a fast getaway.

We had gypsy lads break into our secure bike lockup during working hours about 25m from a glass office full of hundreds of people.

Luckily they were chased off by staff….

bigG
    Free Member

Now admittedly, I’m not fast off the mark nowadays

Master of the understatment eh beagy,,

You’d never get that sort of thing happening if you parked your bike outside the Red House I’m sure.

G

neilthewheel

You should have been here in 1773 when a handful of people stole 8,000 acres of common land in full view of the people who had rights to it!

duckman

funkweasel – Member

Maybe time to invest in a crossbow, and shoot him right in the face with it.

“Cut this bolt, ya wee shite!”

Posted 19 hours ago # Report-Post

Walks away from Funkweasel without making any sudden movements…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Blatant thievery….maybe too blatant!’ is closed to new replies.