Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cairngorms -Blair Athol/Pitlochry advice please
  • bobdmr
    Free Member

Hi all… Looking for some advice on where to ride.
    Got a week booked in a lodge in the Cairngorms in a few weeks time (November) for family shiz.
    Think its in or near glen tilt.

Any recommendations for Some good trail riding in that area?

Or anything within a 45-60 min drive?

Is it likely to be loppy or is it quite rocky?

Cheers

hodgynd
    Free Member

Bobdmr ..really not sure if you are being serious here ..but I will give you the benefit of the doubt ..
    The whole area is crawling with good riding ..we did a ride slightly off the radar as a there and back route from Pitlochry to Aberfeldy in early June as a gentle warm down route on our way home from 4 days of riding in Aviemore ..it turned out to have the most climbing of any ride we had done !
    A good book to buy would be Scotland : The Wild Trails published by Invertebrate Books ..plenty for you to go at in there..

scotroutes

What is “loppy?

tjagain

Glen tilt circuit – very scenic but mainly double track
    Lots around the hermitage IIRC
    Loch ordie circuit at Dunkeld

No need to drive at all really from there. But within an hours drive there is simply loads

bobdmr
    Free Member

Yer sorry, have been trawling the Internet for routes, but most of what I’ve does seem to be on double track (all be it with stunning scenery)
    Had seen the glen tilt circuit was mostly double track, and wondered if there was any nice single track/more natural trails to ride.

Tanks for the pointers, that’ll give me something to go at

frazchops
    Free Member

Lots of nice techincal trails below Ben Vrackie (at Pitlochry), more at Aberfeldy/Weem and tons of trails at Dunkeld. You can splice everything with the parts of the Rob Roy way etc. if you fancy something longer.

I’d go and download a copy of trailforks if I were you.

poah
    Free Member

check out trail forks

matt_outandabout

bobdmr – much of our Highland riding has significant double track. It is not worse for it, just different…and much of it is that rocky and steep, you may as well be on singletrack.

In addition to the aforementioned Tilt, Hermitage and Ordie I would add some nice rides around Black Woods / Rannoch / Bridge of Balgie area, lots around Pitlochry (and Escape Route in town is good for advice). If you fancy a proper big carry ride (and by luck the snow is not down by then….) then think about the over Ben A’Ghlo or Ben Vrackie…

From there you will also find that Laggan Trail Centre is only 40-50 mins away…

bobdmr
    Free Member

Excellent, can’t wait to get there …. Thanks everyone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms -Blair Athol/Pitlochry advice please’ is closed to new replies.