• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Blaenau Ffestiniog – Tips for first uplift
  • votchy
    Free Member

Am off there this weekend for my first ever experience of uplifts. Not a DH’er by any stretch of the imagination but am in possession of one of those northern built bikes with 140mm of travel at each end. Any advice, tips, do’s and don’ts etc much appreciated

cheese@4p

DO – it
    DON’T – fall off
    TIP – yes it is

daveevs
    Free Member

Start with the blue and work up.
    Wear a full face helmet.
    Pump your tyres up hard.
    Make motorbike noises.
    Enjoy it!

Don’t worry about the bike.

jam-bo

Is it a truck/trailer uplift?

If so expect your bike to be battered…

bluebird
    Free Member

Pump your tyres up hard.

Why?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Don’t stress about missing runs, you will get plenty of riding in, so stop for a breather/food/drink when you fancy it.

Don’t go too fast until you are familiar with each track.

If you are a seriel crasher it may be best to armour up.

Dual ply or a good tubeless wheelset, loads of people were flatting and your wheels take a hammering on the black powder run, I’m sure on the full black it will be more so.

Have a good time, I really enjoyed it there and will return soon.

Bagstard
    Free Member

The uplift service is great, no bike damage, very similar to Cwmdown.

jambalaya
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    Is it a truck/trailer uplift?

If so expect your bike to be battered…
    OP, I’d suggest you duct-tape up your bike. You can do it in advance or just take the tape with you. I used van/bus uplift for first time this year and there was much more damage than I’d ever experienced on ski-lifts. Much faster speeds, more vibration, more bikes jammed together etc.

I’d also check the bike over every few runs, you’re going to be doing a lot more runs than if you were just pedalling up and probably pushing a bit harder.

Have fun

100mphplus
    Free Member

Not done this particular uplift yet, but they use the trailers where your bike is held individually in a frame and having used these type on many occasions elsewhere they are probably the best at NOT damaging your pride and joy, so I wouldn’t bother taping up your bike;-

http://www.anturstiniog.com/photo-gallery/?ref=2#

Stevelol
    Free Member

I went there in August for my first uplift.

I experienced zero damage to my bike from the uplift, the bikes seem very secure, but do check that the straps are done up tight..

Take it easy if it’s windy (wheels on the ground) as it’s very exposed.

Take your time on the first few runs because it’s quickly easy to build up a lot of speed, in my opinion as the track is new it still needs to bed in and have altertions, I’m crap but occasionally went off on certain corners!

Park close to the entrance to the car park, if you get a puncture or want some supplies from your boot you’ll have less chance of missing an uplift run this way.

Pack spare tubes and keep them in your camelback when riding, lots of people get punctured.

Don’t skid 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

Can’t offer advice as not done Blaenau yet but have a good one!

Footage and pics welcomed

:mrgreen:

iolo
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Blaenau Ffestiniog – Tips for first uplift’ is closed to new replies.