Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Blade Runner, is it me?
  • jahwomble
    Free Member

"Up until Bladerunner and Alien all sci-fi films were like 2001, pristine high technology, "

Unless of course you ignore Jean Luc Goddards 1965 "Alphaville" Private eye exploring the lines between humanity and inhumanity in a dystopian future anybody?, Lang's "Metropolis" or Ubaldo Ragona and Sidney Salkow's "last man on Earth". Oh and dont forget Orwell's "1984", which had it's first cinematic release in 1954. Any other number of film noir/science fiction crossovers from the fifties.

Imho:)

it's not bad film, but I think Scott's "The Duellists" is a lot better.

jahwomble
    Free Member

And by "ignore" I meant count…….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"how do you give an artificial life form the concept of empathy"

on the money – Rachel and Dekerd are an advanced model manufactured to have emotional responses. We empathise with them as they do with each other, but we don't with the others.

but also…

What value do you place on artifical life? e.g. Roy's memories?
    If you believe you are human as Rachel and Dekerd do, is that all that matters?
    The immorality of abandoning the polluted Earth to the lower classes and the physically ill.

Drac

aP – Member

W&I drinking game is to match whatever's being drunk on screen. It's not pretty.

I'm glad you cleared that up. 😕

flamejob
    Free Member

I have to add (after reading the whole thread) I am in the 'Best film ever' gang.

If you don't get it maybe you never will, but it is an incredibly subtle film that makes me think a lot….

…what BLY and Binners said and some

I hope they just leave it alone and don't make any pre/sequels

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I watched it the other night when it was on TV and got it more than I ever have – I don't know if it is being older or having kids but it really struck a chord with me and I found myself getting quite emotional towards the end.

The whole bit about memories defining you and making you human really stirred me up. The memories I have really will be gone once I am!

IdleJon

jahwomble – Member

it's not bad film, but I think Scott's "The Duellists" is a lot better.

Yes, another beautifully made RS film – I particularly love the way the hairstyles and uniforms change through the wars.

One thing about RS flms is that they normally look fantastic, although I recently watched Body of Lies and thought that not only was it a steaming pile of horsepoo, it looked pretty average as well. I hope he's not losing his touch.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Here hare here. 😛

robgarrioch

I hope he's not losing his touch

Clearly you haven't seen 'A Good Year', or your mind would be well & truly made up! (it's unbelievably terrible, btw)

westkipper
    Free Member

It looks to me as if BR was Ridley Scotts last committed film. Everything he's done since seems to me to be run of the mill action/ blockbuster Hollywood mediocrity*- much like brother Tony.
    Still, three great films is 2.3 more than James Cameron has managed.
    * He needs a special boot up the arse for wasting Takakura Ken's talents in the awful Black Rain.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Blade Runner, is it me?’ is closed to new replies.