Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Blade Runner, is it me?
  • IHN

Or is it gash?

I'm making myself watch it, but I just don't see what the hype's about. It's actually pretty dull.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Which version editors cut or original release?

Great film IMHO

porterclough
    Free Member

It's you.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I didn't like it first time either, but it kinda grew on me. It's a lovely film and worth the effort.

IHN

The version that was on the telly a couple of weeks ago. Supposed to be the 'ultimate' version.

binners

Sorry mate but its you. Watched it a couple of weeks ago and its bloody genius!!!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ha, tried to watch it so many times as it supposed to be such a classic but it just bores the back teeth out of me after 10 mins.

IHN

What's the appeal? What am I missing?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I've tried watching it a number of times as I keep being told how good it is and I just can't get excited by it at all and have given up each time. So, no it is not just you

TheSwede
    Free Member

Nothing. It's naff but people love it for the beautiful scenery and cinematography, sci fi naffness and Ridley Scott factor.

binners

Its , just…. like TOTALLY about our fragile mortality an stuff, innit?

TheSwede
    Free Member

The ambitious, enigmatic, visually-complex film is a futuristic film noir detective thriller, blah blah blahdy blah and I've gone again.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Give it time…

Plus of course it's well worth watching a wooden Harrison Ford being comprehensively out-acted by Rutger Hauer – some might argue that this was intentional on Ford's part.

Compelling.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I liked it but if you aren't into it it's not the end of the world for me.

IHN

I'm afraid I'm going to file it under 'pretentious old w@nk', along with Apocalypse Now, Withnail and I and everything by Tarantino

TheSwede
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member

Give it time…
    I've given it since 1989 when I bought it and haven't been able to sit through it yet.

TheSwede
    Free Member

I'm afraid I'm going to file it under 'pretentious old w@nk', along with Apocalypse Now, Withnail and I and everything by Tarantino

Withnail and I. "W@nk" Step out side sir!

Pigface
    Free Member

Awesome movie. I go against most and reckon the original version is best, the later versions remove the ambiguity about Deckard.

It is in my top 10

binners

IHN – you've just dismissed my three all time favourite films. Just out of interest what are yours fella?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's you. Don't worry about it – I loathe Tarrantino movies.

Kiril
    Free Member

In my top 10 as well; what does it mean to be human?
    what assumptions do we make about our existance (and how mundane it is?)

benjag
    Free Member

watched my copy of blade runner directors cut last night, might watch withnail tonight! My other bestest are 5th element, Ronin, and Bullit.

TheSwede
    Free Member

He likes

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

IHN – Member

Well done that man, a lesson on how to win people & influence them if ever there was one 😉

FWIW I turned off With nail & I, as I'm not, and never have been a student. I love Apocalypse Now though, & Tarantino is normally worth the effort in a mind numbing, get to the **** point, kind of way…

Cheers.

deluded
    Free Member

Blade Runner was seminal and is the most important film ever made.

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those … moments will be lost … in time. Like … tears … in rain. Time … to die”.

Superb.

Pigface
    Free Member

Easy there deluded that is a hell of a claim.

TheSwede
    Free Member

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those … moments will be lost … in time. Like … tears … in rain. Time … to die”.

Superb.
    ZZZZZZZZ Eh, what, eerr, sorry I'd gone again.

IHN

Blade Runner was seminal and is the most important film ever made.

I think the Lumiere brothers might have something to say about that

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I remember, at the time, being mostly impressed by the vision of the Far East becoming dominant in the future, which still remains the case. However, other than that, I never quite got it, so it has never been on my list (I love SiFi BTW). Apocalypse Now and Withnail and I certainly are on my short list. Loads of people quote it as a seminal film, so I'm prepared to concede that I missed something, somewhere.

TheSwede
    Free Member

La Sortie de l'Usine Lumière à Lyon was a little short in my opinion. 😉

grumm
    Free Member

It's interesting and looks great but doesn't really work particularly well as a film overall imo.

westkipper
    Free Member

I sometimes find its gloss ( and the acting of some of the leads) a bit shallow, but it is probably the most influential SF film- all views of the future reference it in some way,
    Its ironically one of the few films thats arguably takes a more moral, humane and complex look at its themes than the book it is based on, as Dicks androids were more one dimensionably evil-incapable by their man-made origin of being truly human.
    Syd Meads design work is outstanding too.
    BTW, Dustin Hoffman was alledgedly originally up for the part of Deckard-that would have been great IMO

cannondaleking
    Free Member

i like blade runner but being more of a book person i found the book "do androids dream of electric sheep" a really good read, i find that you need a good imagination to watch films like that and good understanding of the mental process that is STOP LOOKING INTO IT TO MUCH ITS ONLY A FILM plus sci-fi needs that certain kind of person to watch it. if you dont get dont worry your just not that sort of person but please dont bitch on about it yeah. 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I should be a fan as it was shot in my home town of Middlesbrough…
    it also looks nice and ticks the box in terms of the type of film I like, but I just find it a bit dull and confusing in what it tries to be a metaphor for
    maybe when I'm older and boreder it will make sense

chewkw
    Free Member

It's shite as the story line is predictable.

😆

CountZero

Posting up about how you 'don't get' a certain film/book/piece of music just makes you a target for abuse. If you don't understand it, fine. Just get over it and move on to something simpler, like Knocked Up. I loved Bladerunner from the first time I saw it in the cinema first time around, same as 2001, which I certainly didn't understand, but I didn't care, 'cos at the age I was then it just totally blew me away. Apocalypse Now was based on the book Heart Of Darkness, but translated to Vietnam from Africa. The making of the film was just as insane as the insanity of war it portrays. I love the smell of napalm in the mornings, BTW.

ourmaninthenorth

Good grief. If these films/directors are pretentious in your view, I'm Brian Sewell..!

westkipper
    Free Member

Anybody notice that one scene in the film has dated really badly-
    When Deckard calls Rachael from the bar, much is made of the huge wallbooth videophone,
    Now, weve got tiny handheld devices that do the same thing!
    but weve not yet flown away to the offworld colonies yet 🙄

samuri
    Free Member

I think it's a great film. I'd be seriously worried if we all liked the same stuff though. Don't worry if you don't like it. Just enjoy the stuff you do like.

jedi

the original narrated version is best

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Blade Runner, is it me?’ is closed to new replies.