Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 261 total)
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • prawny

I missed this thread before.

I am also excited to a point, but more because I’m hoping this could be the film the book deserved. I read the book a couple of years ago and only got round to watching the film the other week, I thought it was a bag of indulgent toss. They’d have been able to fit the rest of the story in if they’d not guffed about so much with lingering shots of people not acting.

AlexSimon

fasthaggis – Member

In get ready mode,I watched the original again the other night.
    Some of it really doesn’t age well,but hey,it was ground breaking in 1982 and still worth watching for Rutger Hauer alone. I’m surprised you thought that. I watched it last year and thought it was perfect.

MSP – Member

Oh god, most of the reviews seem good, that’s probably the worst scenario,now I will end up watching it and be disappointed. If they had been crap, like they should be, I could have quite happily ignored it. This is exactly my fear too. It’s not helped by the fact that I don’t really like Ryan Gosling. Poses/pouts too much.

fasthaggis – Member

Quite an experience to live in fear, isn’t it? lol

antigee

Made teenage antigee watch the directors cut a few weeks ago and she was just blown away by the camerawork and the sets not bothered by the plot thought that mediocre
    😥
    Edit Will check out 2049 IMAX thanks for heads up

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    namastebuzz
    Free Member

Why can’t Hollywood just leave well alone?

The point of mystery/sci-fi is to leave you wondering at the end. Like 2001 A Space Odyssey.

The Alien Franchise should’ve stopped after Aliens but they try and explain everything in the average Prometheus and the truly dire Covenant. It just devalued the whole thing.

It’ll be the same with Blade runner…..

rone

It’ll be the same with Blade runner…..

I’m willing to go with it as Villenueve is a better film maker than Ridley Scott.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I agree with namastebuzz both brilliant and origonal films in their day and both a major influence on every sci-fi film since .Why not leaver it be and make something new and original now .

Drac

I’m looking forward to seeing in a week or two, look stunning.

I don’t get the issue with them doing sequels nice to the story continue.

rone

I don’t get the issue with them doing sequels nice to the story continue

Especially given the multiple tweaked versions of Blade Runner.

Hardly a definitive work. Apart from the Final Cut that is 😉 But messing around 25 years later?

nickc

Like 2001 A Space Odyssey.

you do know there’s a sequel to this, right? 😆

rone

Review embargo lifted.

5* in Empire for what it’s worth.

DezB
    Free Member

5* in Empire for what it’s worth

Not a lot! Don’t Empire just give everything 5*s?? Did last time I saw it.

vinnyeh

Ah, wondered why reviews were appearing. Telegraph gone all existentialist, says trailers bear no real relationship to the film. I’m now wondering if it’s all going to be a bit much for the Marvel generation.

rone

Not a lot! Don’t Empire just give everything 5*s?? Did last time I saw it.

Well yeah.

Try this – Peter Bradshaw 5*

To be fair Empire tend to give everything 4 stars.

fasthaggis

I’m surprised you thought that. I watched it last year and thought it was perfect.

Yes,I was kinda surprised that I didn’t enjoy it more.
    I think maybe the quality of acting around now is a lot better,so some of the timing and delivery looks a bit am-dram.

Drac

Hardly a definitive work. Apart from the Final Cut that is But messing around 25 years later?

Yup exactly that’s ample time for the nerds to discuss theories.

Cougar
    codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m avoiding all reviews cos SPOLIERS, but from what I’ve gleaned its turned out well. I’ll report back next Thursday night when I see it.

rone

Just back, I’m not a fan of the original no matter how many times I attempt to re-watch but I am a fan of Denis Villenueve.

For me it was beautifully crafted (nearly 3 hours) but suffered by being way too ponderous and monotone in its story telling. It is after all a paper thin plot stretched out.

Needed something extra to open out the canvas for a viewer to sink their teeth into. I can cope without exposition and slow pacing but there should’ve been more.

If you’re a Blade runner fan I think you’ll love it but this is the first Villenueve film I’ve not been blown away by.

I predict it’s trying to do two things: follow in the footsteps of the original by being a cult hit appreciated years after and setting up a franchise.

I also think it won’t do too well at the box office.

AlexSimon

I also think it won’t do too well at the box office.

Considering that I’m going to go and haven’t been to the cinema since Django and Drac(?) said he hadn’t been for 20 years and is going, I think you might be surprised.

Edit: You did reasonably well to avoid spoilers, but it’s an almost impossible task as I read far too much into everything, so I’ll bow out now!

rone

Considering that I’m going to go and haven’t been to the cinema since Django and Drac(?) said he hadn’t been for 20 years and is going, I think you might be surprised

I will look out for the extra $30 on the box office takings.

Seriously 20 years. You’ve missed some good stuff.

AlexSimon

Seriously 20 years. You’ve missed some good stuff.

I’ve had a home cinema since 2000, and much prefer that experience normally. And I’m patient/busy enough to watch things when they take my fancy rather than when marketed.
    I’ve also been very cynical of the whole 3D thing and then there’s the prices!
    In fact you’ve got me remembering all the reasons why I don’t go to the cinema now!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Mark Kermode is a weather vane for me. If he says it’s good then I’ll wait for it to come on telly…

rone

I’ve had a home cinema since 2000, and much prefer that experience normally. And I’m patient/busy enough to watch things when they take my fancy rather than when marketed.

So have I, but some films are worth the extra girth.

There was a time when I hated going to the cinema (too noisy etc) but we have such a good local cinema (walkable and cheap) that I still go quite a bit.

This film is definitely worth a trip for Deakins’ fabulous cinematography.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ll give this a watch when it comes out on showbox, I remember watching the original and i’ll watch it again now to get up to speed with the plot.
    Which original should I watch tho?

rone

I’ll give this a watch when it comes out on showbox, I remember watching the original and i’ll watch it again now to get up to speed with the plot.

Do it at least justice and at least pay to see it.

sweepy
    Free Member

To be honest I’m not that bothered, I wouldn’t go to the cinema for a big clock so it’ll be on the telly one way or another, just a matter of when and how, if it’s xmas in ten years time its no big deal.

CountZero

namastebuzz – Member
    Why can’t Hollywood just leave well alone?

The point of mystery/sci-fi is to leave you wondering at the end. Like 2001 A Space Odyssey.
    Sorry to have point it out to you after all these years, but Arthur C Clarke actually wrote 2010: Odyssey Two, 2061: Odyssey Three, and 3001: The Final Odyssey.
    Perhaps you’d be happier if the authors left well alone as well?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Also just back, IMAX in Glasgow.

I dont really have words yet- stunning, just stunning. In every way. Ryan Gosling can actually act and is very very good indeed. I’m convinced. Visually- I’ve never seen anything like it. And yet it looks like Blade Runner…..go figure.

All I can really say is that they built a believable world based on Blade Runner and our own world, with logical and consistent extrapolations to a world 30 years later. And a plot that unites the 2 eras wonderfully, with enough resonance for fans of the original and (I think) those who’ve never seen the first one. You could live in this world.

And the dialogue is just fantastic. The writers made it all sound right and the actors made it pay off, all of them.

Dare I say it….as good as, if not better, than the original and I think a new high watermark, certainly for science fiction.

At one point, I became self-conscious as my jaw had been hanging open, jaw dropped, for about 10 minutes. But then forgot all about it as something else jaw-dropping started happening.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I was pretty much gobsmacked by how good that was. 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Absolutely blown away by it, soooo relieved!!! Looks like keeping Ridley Scott’s hands off the tiller is prob a good idea from now on! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

This film is definitely worth a trip for Deakins’ fabulous cinematography.

Quite, it was absolutely stunning!

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like there was something good about Alien: Covenant after all!

Scott’s commitment to Alien: Covenant (2017) may have forced him to step away from directing Blade Runner 2049 (2017).

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/trivia?ref_=m_tt_trv_trv

dovebiker

2 meetings in London on Tuesday – tickets for the morning session at the iMax booked!

Fat-boy-fat

Saw it last night. Very very impressed. As many others have said, such a Blade Runner atmosphere, good plot with a little bit of twistiness and good acting all round. Mebbes not everyone’s cup of tea but a must for sci fi geeks like me.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Kermode review on shortly

vondally
    Free Member

I watched yesterday morning at I max 2d, this is how it should be seen, visual and audio joy, the cinematography is memorising, beautiful and blissful. Just watch for this alone.

The pacing of the film will get much criticism as it not the hyperactive marvel film, it is imho wonderfully paced allowing you time to be immersed into the story, the world and importantly the characters.

The plot is either as straightforward or ‘as extensional as you wish.some bits in for me I went meh.

Acting is top notch, I like Ryan Gosling ( watch Nice Guysto see the contrast) the Harrison Ford stops being Harrison and acts reminding me that he could act. Strong female characters.

Yeah good good film off to see again tomorrow

gil_

I found the story lacking, a basic storyline without the twists of the original, the music, although very good, overpowering in places and overused and the lack of fine detail a great let down – I wanted something I would watch over and over again, each time spotting something new – this sadly isn’t it 🙁

Obviously this is just my opinion, you choose to make your own…

shermer75
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go to the cinema for a big clock so it’ll be on the telly one way or another

I keep seeing this sentence at the top of the page but I can’t work it out- which big clock? Something to do with New Year’s?

ktaylor
    Free Member

Watched it last night. Sorry if I’m mentioning any spoilers…

I saw the original before going out which heightened the anticipation.

Audience was ace. No munching or any ambient noise from them. Some Cineworld pass holders walked out as it obviously wasn’t their thing.

Saw it in a regular screen which worked really well. No need for any other shenanigans like 3D or moving seats!

Really, really loved the scene where we are introduced to the lady that crafts memories! Great moment.

The score worked well.

I’ve grown to like Gosling (I quite liked Driver as well).

The film did lovingly linger over its own landscapes a little too much. Outside Vegas was a bit rubbish but hologram Elvis was great in the shootout.

All sorts of interesting characters get introduced but then forgotten. Seems too much about the sequels in that respect!

I reckon a 7 or 8 out of 10 for me.

sweepy
    Free Member

I keep seeing this sentence at the top of the page but I can’t work it out- which big clock? Something to do with New Year’s?

To be honest I don’t know, its just a saying, like for all the tea in china or something. I think it might be something I picked up in Liverpool.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 261 total)

The topic ‘Blade Runner 2049’ is closed to new replies.