Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Blackspire Stinger – Worth it?
  • balfa
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a blackspire stinger as I find I drop my chain a lot on the descents. Do they work and are they worth the hassle? Is there drag associated with running one? It would be fitted to what it primarily an xc bike so don't want to feel like I'm dragging a spare tyre behind.

mark_b
    Free Member

I've run an MRP LRP – essentially the same thing – for years. Minimal drag and no noise. Can't remember the last time i dropped a chain since fitting it.

Can't understand why more people don't run them, even on xc bikes 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

The MRP rollers used to have a much better reputation for reliability, not sure if that's still the case. They'll be interchangeable though so you can fit one when the blackspire bearings inevitably seize.

Shandy
    Free Member

Stingers work well for me, not much drag if you keep them lubed. I've dropped a chain once, on a very rough section of trail.

AndyA
    Free Member

Run a stinger on my spicy and it's all good. No noticable drag.
    Superstar components also do one that looks pretty similar to the stinger. May be worth a look as stock on the stingers seemed pretty low when I was looking one.

Burts
    Free Member

Added a Stinger to my Heckler last summer and its been brilliant, not dropped the chain once and no noticeable drag.

_tom_
    Free Member

Bit OT but can BB tensioners such as the stinger be used to tension a singlespeed chain rather than having a rubbish rear derailleur hanger mounted tensioner?

thomthumb
    Free Member

_tom_

yes.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Stinger works fine for me.

Cronin
    Free Member

Same here. Well worth the cost. Used one on Yeti 575 for 18 months including alpine downhills and never lost chain. Drag minimal.

zangolin
    Free Member

Stinger = excellent.

carbon337
    Free Member

Ive been waiting a week and a half for one coming from Rush Cyles. I wish they would be in a "rush" to get it to me.

robhughes
    Free Member

carbon.give them an email.i waited a while for one off them.
    1 email and they arrived 😉

PeteG55
    Free Member

Stinger has been great for me, but I would agree on Rush cycles, seems they need a bit of encouragement. Won't be bothering with them again tbh.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Blackspire Stinger – Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.