Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Blackspire Stinger positioning, does this look about right?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi, i have never used a chain guide before and the Stinger didn’t come with any instructions.

I fitted it but hoped you lot could take a look at the pictures and tell me if it looked about right?

and

khani
    Free Member

I’d go a bit higher, looks like when the chain is on the small ring it wouldn’t be on the roller
    EDIT and threadlock the bolt in the roller, mine fell off within 200yards before I threadlocked it

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

more towards 8 o clock do you mean? or as in the roller nearer the bash?

neil853
    Free Member

The roller should ‘brush the bash guard, my email is my profile if you want the instructions…..

khani
    Free Member

More towards 8 o’clock, it should only be a couple of mm’s away from the bash
    Pic of mine

thomthumb
    Free Member

it’s supposed to have a chain on. HTH

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

ha i know that, i can’t put the chain on till the Royal Mail catch up with their back log and deliver my front and rear mech.

Yeah roller will be right up to the bash when the chain is on.

I will move it up so that it is nearer 8’o’clock.

Thanks guys, especially the picture.

khani
    Free Member

If you look at your pic the bottom of the roller is lower than the bottom of the bash, if you look at mine it’s above the bottom of the bash, that’s what your aiming at.

crikey
    Free Member

khani, are you green and do you ever get accused of jolliness?

legend
    Free Member

as he says ^

the roller (and mount) should be out of the firing line of any rocks, logs, etc so you certainly want it a bit further round

khani
    Free Member

I have long leggys 😳
    And more a miserable northern git than jolly green giant 8)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Balls best start taking off the chainset then.

sherry
    Free Member

It should be just slightly touching the bash ring/plate and facing between a 7 and 8 o’clock position. The fitting instructions are here: http://www.blackspire.com/site_assets/www.blackspire.com/images/dynamic/Stinger_Setup_guide.pdf.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, all done now.

Mugboo

I assume the roller is supposed to be turned by the bash ring?

walleater

It should turn on it’s own unless you’ve over-tightened the fixing bolts.

steel4real
    Free Member

If you can post on the forum for assistance why not

Try searchingBlackspire stinger fitting instructions and you will probably be able to do it exactly as the manufacturer intended !

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Steel4real why bother posting?

Mugboo

Thanks walleater.

It turns on it’s own, but I meant is the purpose of putting it close to the bash ring so that it is turned by the bash ring?

Or is it just turned by the chain passing over it?

legend
    Free Member

the purpose of putting it close to the ring is so that it’s not possible for the chain to jump over the roller when riding.

yeah, it’s just turned by the chain

Mugboo

Cheers

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

slight thread hijack, and having read the fitting instructions 🙂 :
    Just tried to fit one to a Nomad (73mm BB shell) with a raceface crank and external BB. So that means replacing the one drive side spacer with the stinger (and no other spacers used).

The granny ring bolts foul on the stinger stopping the crank turning (so now I’ve marked it I cant send it back to CRC 🙄 ), and the chain doesnt line up with the roller groove. It looks like it needs a spacer between the stinger and the BB cup, but that would throw the chainline out and would make the effective length of the BB too much for the crank/axle.

what have I missed (with apologies to the OP but didnt want to start a near identical thread)?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

no problems from me mate, your just being economical.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Blackspire Stinger positioning, does this look about right?’ is closed to new replies.