Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Blackspire Stinger chain device issues
  • idenry
    Free Member

Just fitted one of these whilst changing to 2×9 and something ain’t right.
    The shape of the roller has 3 sections – A high, right angled section on the frame side of the roller,
    then a lower section, then a ramped (approx 45degree) section going back up again.
    In the granny ring it’s fine, the chain sits on the high section on the inside.
    But when I change to the middle ring the chain sits at an angle on the right-angled shoulder of the high section. This not only looks weird but it pushes it against the bash and grinds like hell.

If I flip the roller it’s fine, the chain sits on the angled section and doesn’t get pushed as far over.
    But it doesn’t look like it’s designed to do that.

Something I’m doing wrong?

This is on a BB30 with spacer removed and 24/34 rings.

cheers

ruscle
    Free Member

Stick an extra washer in so to push the roller further out.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

can you post a pic?

kayak23

Yeah I think its to do with spacing. Got one up and running spot on after a while but their law of chain devices usually means they are not trouble free initially.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

as rangers post shows, higher inner step for granny, low channel for bigger ring.

Got an ISCG mount with shimano crank works perfectly with no faffing. Fitted a BB mount with RF crank on a different bike and the granny ring bolts fouled on the guide plate.

Search on here for “blackspire” there’s several threads about problems, and including solutions. How many drive side spacers should you have? If you are still running one, which side of the guide is it?

idenry
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, from that Blackspire set-up pdf it looks like I need to get the low channel in line with the middle ring. Dunno why they don’t include the instructions with the package.
    There was only one narrow spacer to remove so it’s as close to the frame as it’s going to go.
    There are no spacers on the drive side as I assumed the chain device was a like for like swap with it.
    Should I put it back in?
    Might give enough clearance so the chain drops into the low channel.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

it is a like for like, so if you had one spacer you replace it with the guide, if you had 2 you replace one with the guide. Putting the spacer in might bodge fix it, but it might also ruin your chain line, or mess your crank up (raceface need to bottom out at the end of the splines for instance).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This might sound a bit daft and possibly not relevant, but I’ve found the teeth on my Shimano XT granny ring were offset on the ring. It caused me a big problem with a Cube Stereo build (chain was catching on the frame), until I flipped it over . I’m not sure about the middle rings because they’re ramped, but might be worth at least looking at flipping the chain ring round, unless you are absolutely certain that it’s on the right way round.

idenry
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll look at it.
    Looked at the bike last night and the problem is that the middle ring isn’t far away from the frame enough.
    Sticking the spacer back in would move it the couple of mil I need but as crashtestmonkey says, it’s a bit of a botch strictly speaking and the crank arm won’t be flush with the end of the spline.
    Hhmmm. Might try it anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Blackspire Stinger chain device issues’ is closed to new replies.