Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Blackspire snaggletooth narrow wide compared to Raceface?
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I am getting a new Raceface SixC cinch crankset and need a new cinch chainring. I want a purple raceface one but they don’t appear to make them so I’m either stuck with a black raceface or the only purple one I can find is the Blackspire snaggletooth. I have used raceface narrow wide on 5 bikes since they came out and I think I have only dropped a chain once when throwing the bike over a gate. Durability has always been excellent too

How does the Blackspire compare for chain retention and durability? Or does anyone know of another purple cinch chainring available?

Thanks

Andy

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve got one on the 1×11 Xt setup on my hardtail, it’s only done a couple hundred miles but seems ok so far.

Never dropped the chain and wear looks ok considering it’s mainly been being used in the mud, 1 ride at Swinley and the rest on the Quantocks. Can’t say the same about the cassette though!

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks
    I might give one a go. They are only £30 so not the end of the world.
    I had a look at works components but they don’t seem to do a round clinch chainring only an oval and I don’t fancy another oval after trying one on my anthem.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Mine replaced a Sram X-Sync 30t and it has been fine so far, after 3 months use, although it’s still too early to tell if it will last as long but it seems to be wearing well.

JackHammer

Had one on my process with 1×10. It was fine until it wore out, but I did put it onto an already half worn drive to begin with. Considering that it was good at retaining the chain. Saw all the elements ridden allover Wales and a few races too.

Haven’t used a raceeface one, but I have bought superstar ones since then and they seem pretty good and lots of colour options (cheapish too if you can wait for their deals)

kimbers

My blackspire one outlasted the slightly lighter racefeace one, by quite a bit

I avoid the RF ones now, Ive used On One, Superstar and Blackspire and they all lasted better than RF

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. I have just been and ordered one from my LBS.
    I have also had to order a new 30mm bottom bracket. Why exactly do we need 30mm axles? I cant imagine ever needing stiffer cranks than my current SixC’s. Not that I have ever used any cranks which I thought lacked stiffness.

kimbers

Not that I have ever used any cranks which I thought lacked stiffness.

I thought that till I got a bike with some SRAM s1000 cranks on them, they felt flexy but thought it may have been the BB or something

stuck them on a bike with a new BB and a wide back end and they occassionaly contact the seatstay under when im riding

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thinking about it most of the sets of cranks I have owned have been race face and I honestly can’t tell the difference between my turbines and my SixC ones which were about 3x the price. They look sexy though which makes it worth it.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Fitted one to replace a shimano and I haven’t dropped a chain. It’s noisier than he shimano though.

zelak999
    Free Member

Have you got an update on this Andy after a few months use?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Blackspire snaggletooth narrow wide compared to Raceface?’ is closed to new replies.