Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Blacklisted iphone..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I bought a brand new iPhone off Gumtree (yes, stupid I know) but found out it was locked so sold it on. Just heard from the new owner that the phone is blacklisted by EE.

Is there anything that can be done with it?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Makes a nice iPod if you put a sim in it.
    Sorry nothing useful to add

trail_rat
    Free Member

Stolen.com

ALSO

Gumtree isnt an apple resller sô you didnt buy a brand new phone,

Could also be a scam by the new owner how ever came from gumtree so suspicions raised,

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Nope, sell it on eBay stating must go abroad.

I assume you didn’t collect it from his house?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is this fencetrackworld ?

footflaps

It took all of 2 secs with Google to find that link, so this is hardly secret squirrel stuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

This place has changed.

Would be burning daily mails if it was how do i sell this stolen bike….

loddrik
    Free Member

What’s the difference between blacklisted and iCloud locked?

I just spoke to EE but they won’t tell me if the phone is blacklisted or not.

The new owner said that it works fine over WiFi but no calls or texts.

jam-bo

Blacklisted has been reported stolen/missing and will be blocked from accessing any UK network

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Blacklisted is network locked can’t make calls etc.

Icloud is you ain’t even getting it activated/into it.

And it’s prob not stolen. Well not in the conventional way. The usual scam is get upgrade, sell on gumtree. Give it a week, declare stolen, get new phone. You now have £££ and a new phone.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Get the imei and go to checkmend.com pay your £2 n see what’s occuring.

loddrik
    Free Member

I think I’ve learned my lesson!!

I’ll try and get my money back from where I got it from but I’ll have to refund the buyer regardless… 🙁

Would it get any money on eBay with disclosure?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah spares repairs. Have a search you’ll get the idea.

loddrik
    Free Member

Could any of these ‘local’ phone shops do anything with it?

wwaswas

Could any of these ‘local’ phone shops do anything with it?

“I’ve got this phone that was reported stolen, can you get it working for me?”

🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“And it’s prob not stolen. Well not in the conventional way. The usual scam is get upgrade, sell on gumtree. Give it a week, declare stolen, get new phone. You now have £££ and a new phone.”

So stolen then !

robdob
    Free Member

I have no idea why someone who has any brain capacity would buy a brand new iPhone off Gumtree. Really???

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m sorry it might not tickle the moral bone of some, but I’ve paid nearly 400 quid for a phone which it turns out is blocked, I’m refunding the person who bought it from me, I’ll be trying to recover the money I paid. However I’m a bit old to go around beating people up these days so if I’m unsuccessful, I am going to try and recoup the money I laid out somehow.

McHamish
    Free Member

IANAL…but, I think it’s frowned upon to sell something that is stolen.

I don’t think it matters that you were not the original thief, or involved in the crime…you’re still handling stolen goods.

I suspect that selling it on to get your money back would still be a ‘crime’.

jam-bo

I’m sorry it might not tickle the moral bone of some, but I’ve paid nearly 400 quid for a phone which it turns out is blocked

blocked because its been stolen.

by rights you should probably hand it in to the police and hope you don’t get done for handling stolen goods… 8)

convert

Would be burning daily mails if it was how do i sell this stolen bike….

This

I have no idea why someone who has any brain capacity would buy a brand new iPhone off Gumtree. Really???

and this

jambalaya
    Free Member

caveat emptor, buyer beware

My mrs bought a new iPhone form an unofficial reseller but we called Apple from the shop to confirm it was legit / unlocked. fyi phone was bought in Paris and had been a vodafone replacement in the uk. OP you could have done the same by getting the IME code from the gumtree seller

robdob
    Free Member

I think I have the answer for you Loddrik – I have just been told you’ve won a massive cash prize and I am the agent for handing it to you. All you need to do is send me a handling fee via PayPal gift…….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If it’s on EE’s list report it to them with any details for who sold it to you, if it’s the upgrade/report stolen scam then they should know by the imei number who got the phone and the replacement. At least you can get it linked back to the seller.

loddrik
    Free Member

Here’s the checkmend report. Doesn’t say stolen on it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What does the stuff on See Full explanatory notes on PAGE 2 say?

milky1980
    Free Member

Possible the original owner never paid their bill so the network blocked the phone and sim. They then sold it on for a juicy payday.

loddrik
    Free Member

Ever blocked: An amber result indicates that the device being checked
    is has been blocked during its lifetime by one or more GSM/LTE
    network operators worldwide. This is important as, if a phone has been
    blocked during its lifetime it may affect your decision as to whether to
    purchase or handle it. Network operators generally block phones because of
    loss or theft reports made by subscribers.
    Currently blocked: A red result indicates that the device being checked
    is currently blocked by one or more GSM/LTE network operators
    worldwide. Network operators generally block phones because of loss or theft
    reports made by subscribers. This is important because you want to know if a
    device may stop working if you travel abroad. If a device is blocked it may also
    impact its value.
    Note that mobile phones/devices shown in the “Ever blocked” category but not
    “Currently blocked” may still be blocked by some network operators as the
    networks are not compelled to unblock them depending on the reason for the
    unblock. Any device that has been blocked historically should be carefully
    checked for proper functionality. We strongly recommend that blocked phones
    should not be traded as they are generally blocked only due to loss or theft
    reports. In either case you may be trading stolen property or cause a theft to
    occur by the act of trade.

The chap who bought it said that it wasn’t EE who blocked it, even though it’s locked to EE. Doesn’t make sense to me…

Flaperon

The phone belongs to the person who took the contract out, not the operator. They can’t – shouldn’t – block it for non-payment of a bill because it’s not theirs to block.

The SIM, on the other hand, is very much their property.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Are you sure flaperon ? If you get a £500 phone on a £50 pm contract and never pay how is the phone yours ?

loddrik
    Free Member

So the phone is blocked but iCloud lock isn’t on.

Which is worse from a potential buyers perspective?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Icloud. It’s basically an expensive paperweight. And whatever the seller says he’s lying only the network can block it. Shoulda bought one from me 😉

bigjim

I have no idea why someone

I have no idea why someone would spend such a daft amount of money on a mobile phone made by a bunch of tax dodging human rights dodging bleeps 😛

razorrazoo

jambalaya – Member

Are you sure flaperon ? If you get a £500 phone on a £50 pm contract and never pay how is the phone yours ?

I think in this case the network will not unlock from their end (ie use on their network only) until the end of the contract. After this they will for a fee.

Flaperon

The phone is yours from the moment you sign the contract. It’s basically a gift. If it still belonged to the operator, then any fault would be the phone company’s problem to fix. If they couldn’t fix it quickly, you’d be able to leave the contract early.

It’s usually buried in the terms and conditions somewhere but they make clear that the phone is yours. I’ve used unreasonable price-hikes in the past to cancel 24 month contracts six months in and kept the phone under this argument.

* caveat: I have no idea how this works with the O2 thing where you pay separately for the phone.

Cougar

If it still belonged to the operator, then any fault would be the phone company’s problem to fix.

Any fault is the phone company’s problem to fix (assuming that’s who you bought it from). SoGA 101.

Flaperon

Any fault is the phone company’s problem to fix (assuming that’s who you bought it from). SoGA 101.

Yep. Worded my previous reply badly. The phone is independent of the contract, but SOGA still applies.

spooky_b329

Could it be blocked through multiple failed attempts to unlock the phone from the original network?

On Android buried in the menus is an option that shows how many attempts remain to network unlock, assume iphones have a similar menu.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Nope.

loddrik
    Free Member

It was sealed when I bought it so can’t be that.

I guess it’ll have to go on eBay as ‘brand new iPhone for parts or repair with no iCloud lock’ and hope it fetches a half decent price…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Blacklisted iphone..?’ is closed to new replies.