Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Blackdown – nr Haslemere
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

fancy a change of location for a ride this pm

anyone ride around B’down? is it any good? i can see a hot spot of strava routes on the N/NE side

want to avoir climbing Quale Lane – bad enough on road bike!

gregsd
    Free Member

There’s some stuff on the top, but most of the other bits are down, or a climb back-up! If I head that way, I normally do a loop that includes Marley Common & Stanley Common.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers went for a long loop over Punchbowl,and Hankley instead. Found a few new cheeky trails on edges of Punchbowl and the cheeky bit of jump building on the bomb holes – hmmm…..

A few of my other favourite cheeky bits are completely overgrown with bracken and thorns at the moment 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

A bti of trail pixie-I is required, take some secateurs next time, I’m always up for an excuse to stop and rest !

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Lol its a double edged sword . We all like riding down hills but first you gotta ride up them ! Living in Portsmouth there really isn’t that many !

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Blackdown is good not ridden that heavily but some good trails, happy to show you round at some point maybe an evening ride.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Hi where are the bomb holes at hindhead are they easy to find? I think I always end up asking you where local trails are ? I quite regularly ride the hinhead/hankly route now, I think I have trig tumble down to 16 seconds. Cheers

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I’ll trade you trig tumble (short drops of pitch hill trig perhaps) for bomb holes. All explained here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bomb-holes-at-hindhead

The trick is not to miss the climb up after the Tmeple or the turn off right for the start of the actual bombholes. From the bottom, I found (yesterday) easier to turn left and then ignore obvious climb back which the trail crosses, to keep going straight then left up stead climb back to the start. Better than going back to the bottom of the main climb from the Temple side IMO). Beware the unfinished work of the pixies, although you do have to spot the first fun bombhole on LHS)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Edit, you are probably talking about Gibbet trig point!!!!! Doh…..

bitterlemon
    Free Member

It’s the one on the slight hill just up from hankly carpark?

Thanks for the directions (again) and link, I’ll hope to find them during the week.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok as originally thought. I did notice that they had been ridden recently. They are around my limit although still don’t like the drop on to the BW on one of them!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bitter lemon – had a “session” session up on Hankley tonight. Half on drops and half on the runs off the trig point. Build up confidence on the left hand of the three – amazing once you let go of the brakes once, it become so much easier!!!

A bit mincy down the right hand one – need to practice that one a few times. And the middle one is next. Quie a good place to get confidence up. But 16 seconds suggests different leagues!!!

Legs are torn to shreds by the gorse now!!

Rest of family walked the dogs and we all only saw one other person on a night like tonight. Amazing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Had a fun, short ride up there this evening. Parked at the third CP on Tennyson and explored from there. Frustrating first 20 mins, mainly getting nowhere on rooty off camber single track on the east side. Then rode over the top trying to find stuff. Fast BW down the south side which was fun. Then some very overgrown cheeky stuff in the middle which was fun followed by the maze of narrow, fast simple single track in the middle of the top. So overgrown that I didn’t see the log which led to a slightly scary slow mo OTB moment!!!,

Probably missed the best stuff but had a giggle on lots of simple flowing singletrack. All a bit short. I guess you need to really extend all the way off the top to get a really good ride.

First wet roots for quite a while!!!!

Need a guide next time but the beauty of riding quietly on your own, is stumbling across a couple of beautiful deer in the middle of the gorse.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

How about a ride one evening this week could do a black down / Marley loop If your interested, anyone else?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Would love to, but don’t get back in time, sorry.

Two of the best bits of easy fun were the deer track from the south and the narrow singletrack form the north that come down just uphill from the gate in the shallow valley going East to West in the middle. They both exit at an obvious tree as you emerge from the dark above the gate and neither are obvious! The southern side is almost submerged in bracken and heather hence the OTB over a stump on my first attempt!!!

gribble
    Free Member

Hi, I live locally and would be up for a ride around Blackdown and Hindhead. I need to organise childcare and work, but am up for it. I have got lights and most of my early night riding has been done around there.

I know some of the tracks ok, but am not massively fit at the moment and that needs to be factored in – frustrating to have to cycle with a beer bellied, unfit bloke like me.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I know where you mean with those deer tracks, the BW drop down through the gorse then woods is really good if you hit it fast. Z run is always entertaining down from temple of the winds also full height drop to fernhurst though mainly big tracks is about as long as it gets for around this way.

Gribble, may be not this week now but early next week could be good if your up for a ride, always good to share trail knowledge.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Blackdown – nr Haslemere’ is closed to new replies.