Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • BlackBerry Gives Up On Consumer Market
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

In pretty much every other respect it’s like it’s a couple of years behind.

Depends what you need though. My company needs the phone to work well as a phone, and also access to email, remote wipe, encryption and long battery life from our mobile devices. Presently the only company offering all of these is RIM. For similar reasons we still use Solaris 10 on a load of our really important servers because it’s rock solid under load and has uptimes measured in years, and when it does fail it fails gracefully. We could stick the latest bells and whistles Linux on but even OEL or RHEL don’t fulfill or design criteria.

Saying that I can’t wait for iphone 5, my ipad is turning me into a right apple gayboy.

GrahamS

I wish there were an iPhone with physical keyboard.

Not sure why you’d want it but there at least a dozen iPhone cases like this:

GrahamS

My company needs the phone to work well as a phone, and also access to email, remote wipe, encryption and long battery life from our mobile devices.

Which of those does the iPhone (or droid) lack then?

Okay battery life: but if you use them like a phone (rather than a personal PC, mp3 player and console) then you get a couple of days out them. Certainly no problem lasting a work day.

arcane
    Free Member

I just want to try something here. Call it an experiment. 🙂

Application.

Wow. It actually didn’t hurt. It didn’t make my brain boil or my guts spew like a double bassist hit the brown note and wouldn’t let it go.

I have learned something today.

There really is no pain or strain involved in typing the word ‘application’.

My theory is that it’s even easier to say it. I will put this to the test tomorrow! 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Petroleum is good too 🙂

GrahamS

Good point arcane.

I also hate it when people say “TV” or “phone”.

It’s not hard to write or say “television” or “telephone”.

Though really they should say “technicolour stereo telephonoscope” and “apparatus for transmitting vocal or other sounds telegraphically”

😉

CountZero

Arcane, why use four syllables when you can use one, and why type eleven letters when you can type three?
    Perhaps you’d like to use the term ‘velocipede’ rather than ‘bike’?
    Or perhaps you just want to be an arse?

konabunny
    Free Member

GrahamS: I’d want a physical keyboard because I don’t like virtual touch keyboards. Simple. Thanks for the suggestin – I might i buy one after all.

Arcane: wtf is wrong with “did not” instead of didn’t?

GrahamS

You can also use any Bluetooth keyboard so if you really want you could carry a seperate pocket-sized keyboard for use on the move and have a full size one for use at home.
    (same goes for droid naturally)

But to be honest I find the virtual keyboard quite good. (Good enough to answer this post 🙂 )

In some ways it’s actually better than a physical keyboard for the kind of typing you do on a phone (how many physical keyboards have a “.co.uk” key or let you easily enter á?ç?ñtëd ??ttèrß?)

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Okay battery life: but if you use them like a phone (rather than a personal PC, mp3 player and console) then you get a couple of days out them. Certainly no problem lasting a work day.

You mustn’t do much in the way of work 🙂

GrahamS

You mustn’t do much in the way of work

More than a Blackberry user apparently:

Blackberry Torch 9800:
    1270 mAh battery giving up to 6.5 hours talk time (GSM) or 5.9 (UMTS)

iPhone 4S:
    1432mAh battery giving up to 14 hours talk time (GSM) or 8 (3G).

😀

The iPhone only struggles for battery because the usage is different. Folk use/play with it constantly. If you spent two hours playing Angry Birds on a Blackberry then it would struggle just as much.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

😯

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘BlackBerry Gives Up On Consumer Market’ is closed to new replies.