Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Blackberry and GPS tracking..
  • MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Hi All
    After some info advice for the Blackberry 9300 which I just upgraded to! 😀
    I know it has GPS and some mapping of some sort.
    Does it Track where you been and then can I down load it?
    As I like to map where I have been on some rides.

If not, I know I can get an Apps for the phone, OS map layout whould be best but open to others,
    So can anyone recommend any? app thats Free be good but if you highly recommend ones thats a few £ still like to know about it.
    Also do I need to download any softwear for PC? pay for use of the website?

Also what is the Batt life like? has I read somewhere it might be better to get a bluetooth GPS Receiver to help with Batt life or would it lead to more hassel with setup/working with phone and a new app etc.

Any help/advice would be great as i am very new to this blackberry/smartphone stuff…

Thanks
    Rob

TheFopster
    Free Member

I have the same requirement, but not found anything yet. I want to get OS maps onto a Blackberry, but can’t find a way. There are a few apps aimed at treckers/bikers, but most seem US biased and no decent maps for UK. You can use the inbuilt mapping or google mobile maps, but neither are any good as far as I can see if you are off the beaten track. I suspect there is a way to get OS maps to work with an app called Trekbuddy, but you’d need to devote a fair bit of time and effort to do it. I can think of better ways to use my free time (like going for a bike ride, for example…)

trusz
    Free Member

check the blackberry app store. If you just want to track your route, check blackstar. Its simple and free. exports to gpx. MapMyTracks also do a blackberry app that will upload your route and gives the option of live tracking.

I don’t know of any OS map apps to be honest. Battery life is fairly good for my 8900 curve. I’ve been out on 4 or 5 hour rides and tracked with battery to spare.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’m using ENDOMONDO on mine.

Free to download and dead easy to set up and use.

Tracks your ride and gives you a profile/speed chart too.

Either it uploads after your ride finishes or you can set it to live tracking.

You can programme rides in or follow previous routes.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Thanks Guys,
    Fopster, I am with you on not whanting to down load a app, then spend hours puling out hair that I don’t have to waste!

Trusz thanks for that Black start looks ok, I did find TMJ-mobile on the blackberry app website. I look in to them.

But if Endomondo half as good as namastebuzz says it, I think we found a winner as I do like the able to programme a ride/route as it a real added bonus and be handy. I have a better look in a mo.

thanks again guys, most helpfull 🙂

bruneep

2nd the Blackberry app.
    http://www.endomondo.com/download

chrisdb
    Free Member

endomondo FTW

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Ok cool thanks for that
    I just down loaded endomondo, anything i need to do before starting it? like turn of blackberry maps?
    So I take it I just open it in the download, sign in wait for it to connect to gps and away I go…??

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Yeah think you have to register on the website too – if you haven’t already.

I didn’t turn off anything on my Blackberry. Just opened endomondo and got going. It’ll either upload your ride to the web when you press “stop” or it’ll do it live if you have set it for live updating.

Just play about with it and see.

Ignore the top speeds it sometimes gives – I got 293.2mph on my first ride which was a bit optimistic I feel.

I’ve manually programmed in some routes but haven’t looked into the importing/downloading idea as yet.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have a 8520, so no GPS but i have used Trekbuddy and copied os maps on to it. In conjunction with the ability of the phone to know where the masts it is using are it has allowed me to navigate around various places, including Gran Canaria (not recommended as roaming hurts!)

dobo
    Free Member

my blackberry has no gps either curses to IT procurement… it still seems to know where i am on google maps to within about 1km though..

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Bit of an updtae, I used endomondo over the weekend and very pleased, seems to track well, uploads very quickly at end of ride.
    Map on website are ok, bit of a shame it doesn’t show bridleways etc but can’t have it all.

rob

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Good stuff – glad you’re getting on with it. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Blackberry and GPS tracking..’ is closed to new replies.