Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Black Tie…
  • MTT
    Free Member

Apparently I have reached the age where every other weekend I am at a wedding, frequently between two people I've never met. It seems fashionable to request that all guests turn out in Black tie (even to the church… is this usual?).

Should I hire from Moss Bros or similar? or can anyone suggest a place I can pick up a reasonably priced tux?

I suppose I could have an off the shelf one adjusted. All help appreciated. 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

(I don't why they dragged me here -I don't know anyone!) 😈

theotherjonv

George at Asda sell them (that's not a recommendation BTW)

Try local suit hire places. They might have one they're prepared to sell…

Lactic
    Free Member

Black tie at a wedding! Do you live in America?
    What you want is a morning suit

organic355
    Free Member

Hire a formal kilt outfit and let the boys swing free!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Who the F asks for black tie at a wedding?

It's a stupid enough request at works christmas parties!

beamers

Black tie at a wedding? Is this a script from Eastenders or Corrie?

aP
    Free Member

Just buy one. As long as you make sure there's a bt of space round the waist it'll last for decades.
    If you're going for black tie wedding then make sure that one of them is on Burgh Island.

ps – are you still on the same email you had last year? tx…
    I might have what may turn into a fairly substantial house refurb inc new build if you're interested?

ourmaninthenorth

I've been to some black tie weddings. Weirdly, the "happy" couple see entirely unaware that one should never be in black tie before 6pm.

Given that a wedding ceremony may not take place after 6pm, I consider this a problem.

Apparently, I am an old curmedgeon.

Oh, and as to where to pick up a cheap dinner jacket (please, not "tuxedo"), Moss Bros is as good a place to atart as any. If you're anywhere near Manchester, try Slaters.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oxfam / British Heart Foundation shops always a bargain for dinner jackets. Unless you are a real fashion follower who wants whatever style of button is in fashion this year (in which case you'd probably have it anyway). They aren't something that people wear often, so you can pick em up dead cheap in good condition in charity shops. You'll probably get a fancier one that way too than what you'd get if you got it from ASDA.

At least that's my experience from my student & trumpet playing days, where I seemed to need to wear black tie way too often. I think my DJ cost about a tenner, probably with inflation you're looking at £15 quid or so. Oxfam usually have nicer things, but cost a lot more than other charity shops. Charity shops in posh university towns and places like that have tons of DJs in.

Joe

clubber
    Free Member

Odd, of all the weddings I've been to and even heard of until now, I'd never known one with a black tie dress code…

M&S probably do a reasonably priced one that's a decent cut.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Got mine from T K Maxx (Decent one, and was knocked down to £100 from £250). It's where I get me snowboarding gear from too…

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Slaters Menswear – £49.95 inc shirt and tie + they will alter the length the trousers / sleeves for free.

Just don't stand too close to a naked flame…

MTT
    Free Member

All excellent advice thanks, unfortunately I picked a girlfriend who a number of friends, all of which aspire to have children called Lucinda or Hubert. Regardless I must attend.

aP – My new address is in my profile. Thanks for a fantastic offer but i have canceled my fee's, packaged up my set square, set fire to my rotring pens and left the profession. I couldn't see a way back so now I'm waiting to start in a PM post in Bristol. Sucks. Hope everything's alright where you are. Thanks again for the offer.

TooTall
    Free Member

MTT – come and try the Bristol Bike Jumble on Saturday – you might get one there! (or at least some local blokes who might be able to point you in the right local direction).

I think there is a 'Suits You' or something in the Swindon Factory Shopping place – probably a good source.

aP
    Free Member

mtt – blimey! Brizzle eh? PM! sheesh.
    Good luck. A.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I share OMITN's distate for the black tie wedding, although I'm also not wild about still wearing my morning suit at midnight.

The key issue is that weddings and their receptions are too long. Start at 11am at church, off on honeymoon by 4pm, morning dress. Or start at 7pm, dancing til late, in which case black tie may be alright.

But start 11am, still going 13 hours later is tiresome, and impossible to dress for. 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Black tie weddings for new money and yanks.
    Charity shops are the way forward, as Joemarshall said they hardly get worn and plenty of people grow out of them as middle age spread takes a hold!

MTT
    Free Member

But start 11am, still going 13 hours later is tiresome, and impossible to dress for.

That's the one. The wedding is in Newcastle at 11am (black tie), the reception is in Durham… and starts at 3pm after photos (the Cathedral).

Furthermore my other half likes to dance 😡

I'm such a winge.

aP – Thanks, my logic being that it may prove a route back at some point rather than a complete change. We'll see.

Anyone wants a Google Wave invite raise your hand.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OMG

I just found This guide.

Myself seeing as they are asking for black tie before 6 pm thus getting it all wrong anyway I would be awkward and get it even more wrong. I have always wanted a sharkskin so this could be the excuse 😈

happysnapper
    Free Member

I'm getting married next year. Think I'll make guests wear morning suits until afternoon tea (finish around 5:30) and return in white tie (black tie just not formal enough) to dance and drink the night away. Barn dance in tails should be interesting.

On the other hand, might just make sure as many friends are there as possible.

ourmaninthenorth

The wedding is in Newcastle at 11am (black tie), the reception is in Durham… and starts at 3pm after photos (the Cathedral)

Suggest the interim period is spent in, inter alia, the Dun Cow (completing the challenge, natch), Swan and Three and, for a bit of frisson the Fighting Cocks. And then there's the Market Tavern and Shakespeare on your way up to Palace Green.

mudshark
    Free Member

I would refuse to go lest someone I know sees my at such an event.

Have a word.

TooTall
    Free Member

Black tie function in Newcastle – are you sure you're not doing the door for it?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Remind me Tom, what is the Dun Cow challenge? I don't think I've been in since I was old enough to drink legally… 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Totally agree about black tie before 6:00pm – just wrong.

Anyway, spend the same amount on a DJ and trousers as you would on a normal suit. If you don't have a suit, aim for £250 minimum or you will be buying again in 2 years. A decent evening suit will last you 10 years + and save you a fortune compared to hiring

Daffy

I wear highland dress instead…

MTT
    Free Member

Yeah, i bet you do…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Another curmudgeon here – black tie in the morning???????? Aaaarrrggghhhh!

All the same, there comes a time when a man must own his own dinner suit. M&S will do some decent ones for around the £200 mark – and at least it's yours then…and you won't be wondering what to do the next time.

And face it, men do look their best in black tie.

p.s. what kind of PM stuff in Brizzle? Building type PM?

jonb
    Free Member

If your in Durham you might as well head to Klute. Always ended up there in Black Tie after various uni events and too much alcohol.

Coyote
    Free Member

Black tie? Morning suits all all-round. Pretentious bollocks.

Main parties get dressed up, rest of you come as you like. As long as you are presentable.

smiffy

I saw men in a going into a pub at 12:00 yesterday in evening wear, looking total nobs.

Black tie to match the sky, I say.

bensales
    Free Member

M&S. I had to run in today because I have a black tie dinner tomorrow night and it turns out I've shrunk (or got fitter) since I bought my dinner suit.

£125 got me a perfectly reasonable jacket and trousers. Obviously I've already got shirt, cummerbund and tie, so you should factor another 50 quid for them.

Black Tie Guide contains all you need to know about what, when, and where to wear evening dress.

One should only wear evening dress before 6pm if one is on the way to a black tie function. And a wedding after 6pm should always be black tie.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Also, check those 'retail outlet village' places – got myself a very nice Austin Reed tux from one of therm for about £80 notes – i.e. about 2 x the hire price of one. Had it about 5 years, worn about 10 times……

nickc

Charity shops. I got mine for £20.00

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Black tie? At a wedding? Oh my dear Lord, no.

Morning dress as standard. White tie at a pinch, if it's a late kick off. But black tie at a wedding? Next thing you'll have the bride and groom going away in a pink stretch Hummer.

If you feel you must fit in with the oiks (I would turn up in Morning Dress regardless), then I can recommend buying ex-hire from Lipmans in That London's Famous London. Good kit, very well priced.

theotherjonv

Dun Cow Challenge – across the pumps from L to R or R to L (you choose) but must be in order. Means you always have a tricky combination somewhere along the way.

Dun Calf is for ladies, and is the same but with hafes.

I sense a few old Dunelmians on here. Anyone else got a Lumley Run club tie? I nearly actually won 'the race' too, until I threw up on Palace Green just before my final pint. Happy days (87-90)

FoxyChick
    Free Member

How on earth can anyone request what guests wear at a wedding?
    Surely only the actual wedding party need do all that coordinated outfits thing! Oh, how I laugh when I see blokes with tatoos, shaved heads and earrings in matching hired morning suits! Oh, and a bloody flower arrangement attached to the lapel. Men should have a single flower only…no greenery!!
    Sounds like Tatsville.
    Just wear what you would normally wear for a wedding.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Black tie for a wedding is almost indescribably vulgar,regardless of the desperately aspirational children's names. If you must wear a suit, single breasted suit in any color except black, with a single vent is suitable, however morning dress ( which is entirely separate from mourning dress) is just about acceptable if still a little crass, if that is what the groom's party is wearing and you have asked permission.

Morning dress is traditionally a gentleman's riding attire for a morning in town, and is appropriate for wear until 4pm, or if a change of attire is not available, 7pm at the latest, at which point the gentleman should retire to his accomodation and return suitably equipped. Sitting for dinner or supper in morning attire is an absolute no no.

Hope that clarifies the situation for you.:)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Black Tie…’ is closed to new replies.