Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Black Tie…
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Got a family wedding to go to in New York in a couple of months, and found out it’s Black Tie.
    Where did you buy your suit from?
    Not really wanting to hire one, but don’t wanna break the bank either…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Two sugars.

slackboy

Slaters in Manchester are inexpensive and decent enough. Just make sure the bow tie you get is real and black – not a clip on.

mattyfez

Might be worth exploring whether it would be cheaper to buy one when out there, certainly if off the peg, or if bespoke then how long it takes to make the suit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Friends have bought ex hire from http://www.lipmanandsons.co.uk and they looked good.

As you’re going to be in the colonies, make sure you do it properly. None of that American rubbish. Keep the British end up, what!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hire one out there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hire one out there.

Drac

Marks and Spencer came up trumps for me, smart enough and fair qualify for the price. Give how often I wear a suit it’ll serve me well.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just had a look at M&S. Lots of choice there and you can even get something for less than a ton. Keep it simple, so single breasted, single button, simple white shirt with buttons covered, black bow tie (tying is kinda like tying a shoelace except around your neck), flat fronted slacks with a simple bead down the side, NOT a braid, nicely polished black derby shoes (NO patent for chrissakes 🙂 )

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Egads! DD is right!

🙂

M&S is a good suggestion too.

dpfr

I went M&S. Their sizing is a bit ‘Italian’ though so be prepared to size up a bit

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m guessing as the OP is ex mil, he’ll have no problem getting his shoes shiny enough anyway. 🙂

Oh, and go to a store to try one on. It’s rare that something will fit off the peg. With M&S you can (usually anyway) mix and match blazers and slacks. AFAIK, they do tailoring in store as well so will alter sleeves etc.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wear a kilt, a prince charlie jacket, wing tip collar and black silk bow tie. Americans will fall over themselves to buy you drinks and tell you of their “Scotch-Irish” ancestry.
    You’ll never feel better dressed in you whole life.

fasthaggis

If you are not going to use it much after the wedding,then just hire the gear across there.It also saves you having to haul it there an back,so you have more room for bike bits souvenirs 😉

mattyfez

^this. Percheypanther wins the thread!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

M&S are good. They even do a few affordable slim fit cuts, unlike much of the rest of the low end stuff which seems to be cut for someone with a BMI above 35.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

DONT hire / buy a suit out there. American suits are awful. Especially their ‘tuxedo’s’

edhornby

I’m guessing you’ve asked friends / acquaintances if they have one? I lent mine to my brother (tthew on here) as they are used so rarely he only needed his for a prize giving thing

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Is it proper black tie? If so then it’s a white tux jacket not black and you have to wear a proper bow tie. A proper tux is single button too. Shoes should be Oxford style not brogues and I’m pretty certain they should be patent style. Don’t forget your pocket square.

br
    Free Member

When you buy one, either get it from somewhere that will ‘make it fit’, or buy it and then take it to somewhere that will ‘make it fit’.

Nothing worse than a badly fitted suit.

GavinB

Weddings are not black tie. Tell them that, and wear a suit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve never been to one in America but have been in hotels there plenty of times when there has been a wedding on. Not a single one hasn’t been black tie. They’re mad to get into a tux-eeeee-do, them septics.

dragon
    Free Member

Since decent advice above. A few things for black bow ties use a shirt with a normal collar. Also for a better look get a bow tie in your correct neck size rather than an adjustable length one.

Finally yanks have zero style so go and show them how to do it properly.

martinhutch

Spud

I’ve two, a traditional shawl one and a more modern navy one. Both John Lewis, one about 60% the cost of the other.

ourmaninthenorth

I find the circles I move on these days hardly require a suit, let alone dinner jacket.

Some good advice up there, esp from DD though he has failed IMO on the shoe front: Oxfords, not Derbys. Other than that, crack on.

ETA: shirt collar should be turn-down, not wing-tip. Unless you’re serving the wine….

batfink
    Free Member

The key to good black tie is to keep it simple, don’t try to do anything unusual: No coloured tie/cummerbund combos, no wing-collared shirts, no waistcoats , no braces….. Just keep it simple.

Most blokes bought their Tux a few years/inches ago – so having a new one that fits properly will pretty-much guarantee that you’re the best dressed person there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trousers a day shirt from M&S and find a good jacket, picked up a really nice one a while back in the sales.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Subsequent to omitn’s post, I had thought that the difference between oxfords and derbys was that derbys were plain fronted and oxfords had the toecap. Apparently it refers to the way the shoe is structured at the bottom of the lace. I’d expect legal types and stationary sales reps to know this sort of thing, so while I feel a little shame, my time in suits is too long ago. I’d still go for a plain fronted shoe but yes, Oxford type lacing/stitching, but derbys if your footsies are as wide as they are long. 🙂

sofabear
    Free Member

Wot perchypanther said. Wimmen love a man in a kilt.

Of course, it does get a bit tiresome when the auld wimmen keep trying to lift it up.

TooTall
    Free Member

‘What Would James Bond Wear’ is your phrase.

Buy one here, ‘murican stuff is terrible. Marcella fronted shirt (golfball), NOT a wing collar, self-tied bow tie in black, cummerbund in black if worn, smart black shoes.
    Own it and you’ll look like you dress that way every night.

JoeG
    Free Member

dragon – Member

Finally yanks have zero style so go and show them how to do it properly.

🙄

BillMC
    iain65
    Free Member
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

Midnight Blue is the new black

But then I have been known to wear a black tie rather than bow tie.

So take my styling tips with a pinch of 2nd division footballer … 🙂

richmars

Tesco do them, had to get a new pair of trousers a few weeks ago. Funny how the old pair shrink in the wardrobe.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a garish bow tie (so long as it’s a real one). Or so I tell myself. Mind you, I don’t get many black tie invitations any more…

But black tie for a wedding is just wrong anyway. Is it really an evening event?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s the US fashion – even call the outfit incorrectly as a tux, typically with wrong collar (wing with black tie, tsk).

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

This is an opportunity to show the Septics what style is… 😉

No comedy ties or cummerbunds. Self-tie tie, obviously.

No colour other than black, except for the lining. No Braid or velvet.

No wing collars except with white tie and tails.

Ideally the jacket should look well-used, as though you wear it regularly. Try to get a few custard and wine splashes on it.

You can divert from these rules if you are known as a “character” and have the personality to carry it off. Your dress needs to be more understated than you.

If in doubt, ask yourself what Jeeves would do… 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Black Tie…’ is closed to new replies.