Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Black Sabbath vs Deep Purple vs Led Zeppelin…favourite band/songs and why?
  • GlitterGary
    Free Member

Supernaut on Sabbath Vol 4 is a contender for me.

saladdodger
    Free Member

deep purple for me

Gillans vocals and of course ritchie blackmore

but hey they were all superb music of my formative years

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Gillan was a great singer, but what about the later stuff? Quite liked Burn too with Coverdale and Hughes.

cinnamon_girl

Another vote for Deep Purple, with Ian Gillan of course. Saw them in the 70's but with David Coverdale on vocals.

Fave album? Not sure, need to check the vinyl!

jamesfifield

Led Zepp, when the Levee Breaks. Fantastic. Can't really say anything more, though some of Bonham's live solos are pretty epic too.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Too true, Bonham was a legend. Cinnamon Girl, cool Neil reference.

Kuco

Black Sabbath for songs like Iron man, War pigs, Paranoid

GlitterGary
    Free Member

War Pigs…epic.

skinny
    Free Member

Never been a fan of zep.Sabbath and deep purple equally awesome but surely mob rules was one of the finest albums ever?! RIP Ronnie 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

Sabbath: Sweet Leaf, Children of the Grave, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Into the Void etc etc etc

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Out of the 3 got to be zeppelin for me as they evolved massively from each album and were prepared to chage direction- saying that loved all 3 !
    Depends on mood but Led zep 3 is a fantastic mellow album with the obvious led zep 4 for the more well known stuff.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Led Zep. First, last, always.

All the others were bandwagon jumpers who had none of LedZep's lighter touches and outstanding musical dynamics/instrumental expertise.

Deep Purple – pretentious and lightweight.

Black Sabbath – morbid and monotonous.

Uriah Heep, Grand Funk Railroad, etc etc etc…

I'll give you Humble Pie, though.

Edric64
    Free Member

Whitesnake for me with David Coverdale.Saw them in Hammersmith in 83 When Cozy Powell drummed for them.

MisterCrud
    Free Member

In my youth, I was in a band. Late sixties-early seventies. We supported both Black Sabbath and Deep Purple (and loads of others). I also saw LedZep's first gig in the UK, at the Marquee.
    Who is best? Who cares. It's all good.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Deep Purple closely followed by Sabbath for me, never keen on Led Zep though
    As for favourite tracks, Pictures of Home from Purple and War Pigs from Sabbath (Heaven and Hell is actually my favourite Sabbath track, but assuming you are talking about the original line up with Ozzy)

Still think Rainbow eclipsed all these bands with Rising and Onstage, Stragazer is one epic track with Ronnie at his best and Light In The Black ain't far behind

Why oh why is Ritchie doing all that medieval nonsense with his lovely missus (perhaps that's the reason)

Trekster

Paranoid by Sabbath. My mob ring tone 😳 Saw them twice before they became famous. Also know the woman(girl then)who was Ossies gf before Sharon, married a mate of mine

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sabbath for sounding so doomy. Really defined a genre. War Pigs (Ozzy sounds oustanding singing this) and Into the Void are my favourites. WAR PIGS PARIS 1970 Note that at this stage, the lyrics are different from, not as good, as the cut on the album. It was still about walpurgis and had not yet transmuted into the anti-war protest song we know and love today.

Rainbow, with RJD. RJD's sung version of Still I'm Sad on the live recording (ignoring all the soloing nonsense)

Junkyard
    Free Member

What Whoppit said 😯
    I suspect only Zep have appeal outside metal types and are more likely to be owned by people who have no other metal albums. They were also miles better
    As for Whitesnake you are having a laugh surely? Are Status Quo your second favourtite metal band or are you torn between Poison and Def Leppard? Left Donnington to avoid listening to them.
    I am not a metal head but my best mate was so I went to see loads of metal gigs…I once saw Motley Crue 😳

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Black Sabbath vs Deep Purple vs Led Zeppelin…favourite band/songs and why?’ is closed to new replies.