Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Black pudding aficionados
  • frankconway

Is there a real taste difference between puddings made with dried blood and those made with fresh blood?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Don’t really know but I prefer mine with as few “white bits” in it as possible ..

frankconway

Mods, please move to chat forum. Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

Yes massively. And if you want the finest buy boudin noir from France. So much better for being made with liquid blood.

And don’t take my word for it, go to 20mins in and listen to my friend and Michelin starred chef on it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s395f

igm

Scots black pudding is where it’s at Stoner.

Stornoway to be precise.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/protected-food-name-stornoway-black-pudding-pgi

bigjim

Stornoway all the way!

rene59
    Free Member

Stornoway black pudding supper – heaven!

igm

frankconway – Member
    Mods, please move to chat forum. Thanks

Surely trail food and energy supplements are in the bike section?!?

Stoner
    Free Member

Northern luddites!

As it happens I was north of Gretna green last week in the company of a Scots butcher no less and had black pudding for breakfast but I’m afraid it’s not even close to the pleasure of a good boudin noir. You need to try it to realise what you’re missing.

Pretty much the only thing I always come back from the flat in France with is boudin noir.

igm

Southerner!

Easter in Les Gets this year by the way. Two different schools mean only one possible week all winter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If he wasn’t from Stornoway then it matters not who was in your company

Stornoway black pudding is epic . Its the one thing I take to Africa for work
    Doesn’t matter where their from when I get it up on a Sunday it goes down well

frankconway

Love it!

Squabbling over black pudding.
    Surprised that none of the NW contingent have weighed in – yet – with comments about Bury black pud.

Any thoughts about white pudding? I like it but it’s not readily available.

rene59
    Free Member

Any thoughts about white pudding? I like it but it’s not readily available.

Both these places will deliver. I prefer black pudding to white.
    http://stornowayblackpuddings.com/
    https://www.charlesmacleod.co.uk/

ste_t
    Free Member

I used to love black pudding until I started working in a French restaurant. Once you’ve tried boudin noir, the rubbish we have just isn’t up to the job

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Maybe it tastes better when posteurised? 😉

frankconway

@Stoner; great link.
    Will be calling Fruitpig on saturday morning.

portlyone

Got fruitpig black pudding in the fridge, gonna try it for breakfast. My local butcher has been tweeting about it all week!

muttley109
    Free Member

I had a conversation with my butcher about this recently. He told me that most black pudding in the UK is made with dried blood powder and as a result doesn’t have the same strong iron taste that pudding made with fresh blood does. He also told me that it isn’t that simple to get hold of fresh blood now as there isn’t really the demand, having said that, he’s going to speak to the vet at the abbatoir and try and get me some. I’ve got a recipe to make my own that I want to try.

charliew

I am from the NW and had Bury blackpudding cooked from a market stall in Bury Market.

Stornaway is still the best I’ve had.

geoffj

Bury black pudding is much closer to a boudin noire than the sliced stuff IMHO.

nickthegreek
    Free Member

Home

I’ve always prefered RS Irelands

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

English black pudding isn’t a patch on with the stornoway stuff or the Spanish morcilla.

Bury stuff tastes like something that would be applied to a wound. :mrgreen:

Drac

The best is made with fresh blood no matter if from Scotland, England or even France but yes harder to get hold of now.

Murray

Surely the Italian’s the best although this bloke’s been a bit too keen

RustySpanner

frankconway – Member The
    Surprised that none of the NW contingent have weighed in – yet – with comments about Bury black pud.

Stoner has issues with food
    We think it’s genetic.
    His pie blindness is actually a notifiable disease and has been well documented on here.

There’s nothing anyone else can do unless he acknowledges he has a problem.
    All he has to do is ask for help, we’re here for him when he’s ready.

Until then, I feel confronting him with the facts might put his sanity at risk.

Davesport

Stornoway (variety of vendors) or Aultbea.

In true STW fashion it must be driven home in an Audi and allowed a period of rest prior to being re-heated!

igm

News just in.

My wife, who has worked in the marketing of pig products for many years, says she likes the Spanish stuff. And the French. And the Scots.
    No vote from her for the English stuff though – and she hails from the English north west too.

Drac

That’ll be because they use dried blood.

RustySpanner

Here he is, with his facts.
    🙄

Look, several butchers are trialling a donation system.
    We’re looking at making it an opt out system in Lancashire next year, then rolling it out further if it’s successful.

Drac

I’m not aware of any butchers around here that do the proper stuff. 🙁

ton

bury black pudding is sublime, stornoway black pudding is sublime too.
    the french stuff is also very tasty, but it goes too soft when fried, which is pretty crap on a breakfast for dipping runny egg yokes.

FACT. black pudding is now classed as a super food. FACT.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I like them all, I don’t see the point in chestbeating and proclaiming your local one is best.
    What about the Irish one? I always bring some back if I visit, lots of oatmeal texture that I quite like, big fan of boudin noir too. I had a stunning example in tenerife that was very sweet with apricots and what I suspect was the local ground staple gofio instead of oatmeal.

I could eat it in a sandwich but sometimes if the breakfast fix is not enough then fresh pasta, good pesto, some asparagus topped off with black pud hits the spot. 😀 can be with a poached egg too.

bodgy
    Free Member

My favourite make-yer-own black pudding recipe is by Gill Meller, of River Cottage fame. It was Gill’s black pudding that turned me from 20+ years of vegetarianism.

This recipe is from his truly excellent ’Gather’ cookbook. Yum!

Drac

It was Gill’s black pudding that turned me from 20+ years of vegetarianism.

Proof that it’s not a super food but a miracle food, it can cure vegetarianism.

RustySpanner

In all honesty, I’ve never met a pudding I didn’t like.
    🙂

But a freshly fried slice of Bury black pud is the taste of Sunday morning childhood.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like them all, I don’t see the point in chestbeating and proclaiming your local one is best.

I am neither from the western isles or burgos, unfortunately!

MrSmith
    Free Member

There is a very good Italian restaurant in soho called Bocca di Lupo that does a black pudding and dark chocolate dessert. It was a thing of beauty.

bodgy
    Free Member

Really hungry now. Dammit.

kcal

Stornoway – well, maybe!!

My not quite local butcher in Dufftown, as well as dispensing venison for a lot less than anyone else around, is or was the black pudding champion – deposing Charlie Barley of Stornoway… admittedly back in 2014 🙂

http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/News/Black-pudding-win-for-Dufftown-butcher-23052014.htm
    Gordon Macdonald. really nice chap to boot.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In the 80’s a local butcher came round with his van who made his own black pud. It sometimes didn’t all make it back to my house!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Black pudding aficionados’ is closed to new replies.