Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Black or stainless spokes?
  • bomberman
    Free Member

black seem to be the trend at the moment, but is that necessarily a good thing? how do the two compare in terms of how long they last?

Shack
    Free Member

My experience over the years has been thas as black spokes age they tend to get more brittle for some reason and are prone to snapping at the hub. This has now happened on at least 3 sets of wheels with black spokes and wasnt as a result of crash damage. Reversely I’ve never had a stainless spoke snap.

slightreturn
    Free Member

go stainless, i had black on a prohpet and they looked shabby after a short time. tarnished,

andym
    Free Member

Stainless.

theboatman
    Free Member

stainless

steve_b77
    Free Member

Depends on what looks best on your bike.

I tried some wheels I had with SS spokes on my Orange Handjob and they looked poo, so i bought some new ones with Black SS spokes

Harryburgundy
    Free Member

Stainless

coatesy
    Free Member

Been building with DT black spokes for years, had no more problems than with their equivalent silver ones. Had lots of problems with OE black spokes though, stick with a decent brand and you should be fine.

bomberman
    Free Member

anyone else had problems with black spokes snapping?

stoney
    Free Member

stainless!

A nice bonus is that in the dark you get light glistening off them…..

sq225917
    Free Member

stick with Sapim or Dt black and they are fine, others are shit.

Garry_Lager

Black! No problems with them – all of my bikes are black and silver spokes are not welcome. The LBS who I usually use for wheels does say what others here are saying, that stainless are more durable. I’ll take their word for it but there can’t be much in it.

samuri
    Free Member

he he. Anyone who thinks black are worse needs their head examined. They’re the same spokes sprayed black. Anyway, all my black spokes have been just as good as the non-black ones, and I break kit all the time.

bomberman
    Free Member

so when you scratch a black spoke it’s silver underneath? that dosen’t sound too good……

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Doesn’t the wheel guy at Stif refuse to use ‘black’ spokes because he reckons they’re ‘weaker’, for some reason? Can’t see it, meself………… 😕

Kit
    Free Member

My lbs won’t build wheels with black spokes for the same reason. I’ve had a set with black ones for almost 4 years and never broken a spoke. They’re looking a wee bit tatty, but that’s just being tarty!

bomberman
    Free Member

so are they silver underneath when you scratch them on rocks etc?

nickc

Yes, if you scratch black spokes they will be silver underneath.

I don’t think anyone has ever shown how black spokes are any weaker, I understand it’s just anecdotal.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I know of a couple of wheel builders that wont build with black, which is interesting. I’m not sure if its based on reality or not, or what the cause would be – im not sure what coating they use. I’d use black if I could get them cheaply.

thomthumb
    Free Member

just goes to show that wheelbuilding is a dark art and wheelbuilders are witches!!

bomberman
    Free Member

so i’m thinking stainless spokes look better for longer even if they are no stronger than black spokes…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Black or stainless spokes?’ is closed to new replies.