Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Black Mountains 3 Day Challenge
  • paul78
    Free Member

Just over 2 months to the start of the Black Mountains 3 Day Challenge.. after 2.5 days riding across Scotland i'm now in the Brecon Beacons with race creator David Warren putting the final touches to the event.

The weather is amazing here and i am excited for anybody coming to ride this event… rest assured there will be something to challenge all.. i was cringing over a few shorts sections of climbs that are in the event.. real leg stretchers but all will be rewarded with some great descents and some cheeky technical drops.

Entry is still open although not sure for how long as the race fills up..

details here;

Blackmountains3day.co.uk

paul.e

Shred
    Free Member

Really looking forward to this. Hope I can get my fitness up a bit more before then though. How many people are you expecting to take part?

13thfloormonk

Can anyone shed any light on how to get there? can't find much on the website, and since I don't drive will need to coordinate trains etc.

Haven't entered yet, waiting to see how the finances recover from a three week holiday just passed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

£220 for 3 days riding…………..bargain 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

I'll be on hand for any of your suspension needs, shame I can't be riding though 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

would love to give it ago but flights from equitorial guinea are slightly prohibitive !

paul78
    Free Member

Apologies for not putting up a map for the event start it is in the process of being done but i will take this opportunity to utilise our new Flickr account and show you a quick map of the entrance to the race start and first campsite…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beardedmanpictures/

We have utilised an entrance which means you don't need to drive across the Glanusk estate to get to our camping area.

Hopefully we will be uploading course pictures to this page this week so keep checking back.

paul.e

13thfloormonk

So looks like Abergavenny is the nearest rail station?

Could you be persuaded to pick people up from there? 😉

paul78
    Free Member

I'm not gonna let anybody struggle to get to the event so within reason i will accomodate everyone.

Let me know when you have entered and we will work something out… hoping to borrow a bike trailer so if anyone needs a collection service then we may look to put this on.

paul.e

Sam

Looking forward to it.

Surely if you are riding ~250 miles in three days 7 miles to the start won't be too much of a battle 😉 If people are desperate though and have lots of stuff I am happy to do some runs to the station in the van.

13thfloormonk

Sam, you have a very good point, I typed that without even checking the distance involved! 😳

paul78
    Free Member

Well my offer still stands… you may want a lift back to the station if not from 🙂

paul.e

trio25
    Free Member

Looks like a good event. The riding round there is amazing!

LoCo
    Free Member

Yep, the trails round here are riding really well at the moment. 😛

pete68
    Free Member

I was intrested in this but the pricing seems a little in flexible.I have a campervan and wouldn't need the camping, food or the transport for the wife but there seems to only be a fixed all inclusive price.I don't want to pay for what I don't need.The Transwales package options are a better idea plus theres provision for campervans to follow the event aswell.Maybe an idea for next year.

stayhigh

Certainly looks like a good event however am recovering from injury and still 3 weeks away from being able to ride again so n ot sure if my fitness will be up to it or not.

Sam

Pete – I don't want to speak for the organisers but from my dealings with them so far they seem very reasonable guys and may well be able to sort something if you don't need all the support on offer. Drop them a line.

paul78
    Free Member

Pete 68, i did initially think it would be very difficult to accomodate many different variations on our camping package but as we are getting everything together it should be more straight forward.. i just didn't want to get involved in people trying to handpick the elements of the race package they wanted and dealing with the logistics of this.

Please drop me a mail and we can look at this again, although we do not have a mass amount of room for accomodating camper vans etc.

All i will say and i will use this opportunity to address the cost issue of the package is that simply removing the camping element will not save you a huge amount of money.

To put on an event like this obviously requires us to cross alot of land owned by various bodies and to do this properly and by the book we have to pay these people to use their land per rider.. this coupled with the facilities we provide.. which go from excellent on the first night to superb on the second and third:) .. Insurance, T shirts, Catering etc this isn't a get rich quick scheme 🙂

We simply want to put on the best event for the riders we can humanely do… we both ride, we both race and we both have been to multi day events so we have a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Hope this helps

paul.e

paul78
    Free Member

Managed to get out onto the route of Day Two yesterday… views were spectacular…

paul.e

Shred
    Free Member

I really hope the weather holds!!!

What time will the riding start in the morning? I see from the site it is 8am on the first day. Is this the same every day?

paul78
    Free Member

Shred, The start maybe subject to change but will sit between 8am – 9am.

We also hope the weather holds but have been riding the course this week in the bad weather we have been having and it seems okay although we are mindful that some sections just wouldn't be fun to ride in the wet so are creating some wet weather alternatives for some sections to make sure people enjoy the riding.

paul.e

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Black Mountains 3 Day Challenge’ is closed to new replies.