Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Black Mountain Killer Loop – Neuadd fawr?
  • Simwit

We’re hoping to finally do this ride at the weekend after 2 aborted attempts a couple of years ago. Last time we tried we had a bit of grief from a lady at the farm at Neuadd fawr even though we chose to walk our bikes on the 100mtrs of track that is marked as a footpath on OS maps & I seem to remember reading at the time that this wasn’t unusual and it was quite a contentious issue. Can anyone local or anyone who’s been that way recently tell me what the latest is or whether there is an alternative way to access the hill without going through the farm?
    Thanks in advance for any tips.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

It’s been 4 years so memory may be more than a little hazy, but I think we carried on along the road past Cwm Farm, and then took the unclassified fire road that zig-zags up through Park Wood. Tried to do a Streetmap link but can’t get it to work.

In fact, I think that was the suggested route on the MTB Brecon Beacons route card, as I don’t remember us even trying the Neuadd Fawr footpath.

Hopefully someone with more up-to-date info can help though.

welshfarmer

Where abouts are you thinking? Got a GR?

welshfarmer

OK I think I know where you mean. I have never bothered with that bit of BW> Just stay on the road to the Hermitage and carry on along the BW up the valley. Much nicer bit of track.

As above, it would be possible to go up the fireroad to join the BW and then contour in. I have come down that way from the hill to avoid riding the FP to the Neuadd farm.

welshfarmer

In defence of the lady at that farm, her husband, who was a really nice bloke and very active in the community, dropped dead at the wheel of his tractor, aged early 50s, for no apparent reason. That would have been a couple of years ago Things like that tend to change people 🙁

Simwit

Thanks guys, I’ve had a proper chance to look at the map this morning & I can see the other bridleway at the end of the lane so I think we’ll go for that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Black Mountain Killer Loop – Neuadd fawr?’ is closed to new replies.