Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • black mountain centre vs BikeParkWales trails wise?
  • Gilles

Hi,

How did the BMC tracks compared to BikeParkWales? I’m not a DH guy but I can content myself with the Blue at BPW. Will I find joy and fulfilment at the BMC?

Thanks!

timbo678
    Free Member

Yes you will, they aren’t steep, but very flowy, the jumps are optional on most of the runs and you can build up to them as you get used to it.

They aren’t long though, but the efficient uplift makes up for it in many ways. So you’ll get more in than BPW.

It is very different but very good, the facilities are minimal though…the polar opposite to BPW so bring your sarnies and a toolbox.

I can’t wait to go back

Trimix
    Free Member

Out of interest, how does it compare to BPW in terms of weather proof trails. Are they any good in the wet ? Are they a muddy mess in poor weather ?

timbo678
    Free Member

We went in August when it was pouring with rain, but had been dry for some weeks, so it was sketchy as hell on the less steep trails, but once the rain had soaked in and I relaxed my death grip it was good fun, just took some getting used to. Now the rain has soaked in, it will be be gripper if slower I imagine. But you will covered in orange clay type mud a lot!

andylc
    Free Member

I haven’t yet done BPW but have done BMCC – personally I thought it was pretty limited. There are a few flowy trails which are quite fun but nothing particularly gnarly, then a long flattish section with some fun bits but again pretty limited. Then there is one particular bit with huge gap jumps and nothing really in-between. For the same price and not particularly far away I think that Forest of Dean uplift offers vastly more interesting and longer trails.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Unless you like jumps, I wouldn’t bother with bmcc.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I think BMCC is a great venue for jumps and progression.

Bike park wales is quite a harsh day out in comparison as it’s so rocky and the runs are so much longer.

I felt a lot less tired after a day out at BMCC that my most recent trip to BPW.

As said above there are zero facilities at BMCC so go prepared.

BMCC is gonna be harder work than BPW in the wet but I don’t see that as a bad thing as they are so different.

funkrodent

Interesting. Anyone got any feedback as to what BPW is like for beginners. In some cases guys who haven’t ridden a bike since they were kids. I’m figuring that they’ll have a blast on the blues, but are they also too rocky?

jekkyl

nah Ben, the blues at bpw are ace for anyone, dead easy with very little tech, the fun comes in going FAST. when are you joining me on a ride again with your dog?

Trimix
    Free Member

BPW is very good for beginners.

The Blue runs are smooth, wide and rolly. If your average or better than average just add speed to the Blues to suit your level of expertise.

welshfarmer

BMCC would not be my first choice for beginners looking for easy stuff, especially if the weather is a bit naff. BPW the better bet in that case or even the Forest of Dean for more shelter if weather is really bad.

funkrodent

Thanks guys, BPW it is. Stag weekend with approx 20 of us so all abilities (up to vaguely half-decent) will be represented. Should be interesting!

Jekkyl – lets do it! Fancy Macc Forest again? I enjoyed the route that we did the last time. Maybe between Xmas and New Year or early in Jan?

andylc
    Free Member

Do bear in mind that if you want to do the uplift at BPW you have to book about 17 years in advance.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Yeah rank beginners BPW wins out of any I have been to.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘black mountain centre vs BikeParkWales trails wise?’ is closed to new replies.