• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Black Hill in the Pentlands. Rideable at the moment?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Or is there too much snow?

I'm thinking of heading out that way tomorrow as I haven't ridden it in ages because it was getting so muddy.

Kit
    Free Member

There's bound to be have been loads of walkers so probably fine. Might try it tomorrow meself! White Cleugh, on the other hand, would be interesting 😀

Stu_N

Good luck is all I'd say. Loads of snow in Pentlands. Scalextrics was knee to thigh deep a week ago and it's snowed since. On the plus side you're unlikely to get muddy!

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers. Might give it a try then.

westkipper
    Free Member

On the subject of getting muddy, or not.
    Have you noticed when you get back from a ride in the snow, and give the bike a rinse to get any salt off, that it comes up bloody sparklingly clean?, I mean showroom clean with even the tyres spotless.

13thfloormonk

Ehhh…

Hate to be a naysayer but I seriously doubt Black Hill will be rideable! Puke Hill was only just rideable, phantom's was rubbish, maiden's was pretty loose and broken up, green cleugh looked like it would be rideable but proved pretty frustrating.

The lower stuff was much better, the Balerno trails were absolutely brilliant!

kennyp
    Free Member

We opted to stay away from Black Hill in the end. Stuck to the lower stuff. Went part way up Puke Hill, cut across to Torphin, round the back of Clubbiedean (lovely) then on over to Harlaw. I had to head back at that point, but the others were heading on to do the Nail Trail I think.

All in all a very good morning's riding, though spoiled slightly by the tosser coming racing down Bonaly Rd (on a bike) at 9.30 this morning screaming at one of our group to get out his way. If that was anyone on here then you're a sad, pathetic person, and pretty crap at riding a bike if you can't steer it. It's no wonder you were on your own if that's what you're like.

Kit
    Free Member

I didn't see another biker, or any tyre marks, when I was in the Pentlands today. I was probably at the Scout camp for 9am. Was going to do Black Hill, but had been taking photos and ran out of time so rode Poet's (ace) and Nail Trail (even acer) plus all the WOL. Fantastic day, and hopefully some decent photies.

kennyp
    Free Member

There were quite a few bikes out later Kit. There were four of us, a few individual folk we saw, a big group (they were strung out but I think together) of around eight headed towards Harlaw, an impressive bloke who had just cycled all the way up Kirkgate Hill (well done mate) and an Irish girl I met near Easter Kinleith who was struggling in the snow but still laughing and having a good time.

13thfloormonk

+1 for nail trail! absolutely sublime, pretty much the only reason I'm not looking forward to the thaw.

Shame i was getting tired and sore from all the hikey-bikey by the time i got there, pulled muscles in my upper back don't make for enjoyable handlebar wrestling!

Northwind

Had a great day ourselves, though we were warned that maiden's was unrideable (was it? Don't know, didn't try) so gave up on that plan and went and played with the ice at Harlaw then did the nail trail (my first time for that, fantastic, goes on forever…) Great day.

Kit
    Free Member

My photos are up on flickr, in case anyone is interested 8) There's not many, and they're not great! Was fun carrying a tripod around for the morning though…

Clicky:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Black Hill in the Pentlands. Rideable at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.