Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Black gunky chain of doom
  • molgrips
    Free Member

On the road bike, I gave it some green lube about 4 weeks ago and then topped it up with a bit of white lightening epic. Deadly combination it seemed because it became so gunked up I had to clean it, and that was virtually impossible.

In the end the only thing I had with me that worked was about half a small can of WD40 plus half a bottle of eco muc-off stuff. Bathroom was a disaster too, took almost as long to clean that.

geoffj

Should’ve done it on the balcony.

scaredypants

serviced a mate’s bike last year – chain would turn but both mechs were seized absolutely solid with black shite. Plusgassed overnight before I got the front mech to move.

molgrips
    Free Member

If I’d had access to my garage, I’d probably have removed the mechs, cassette and cranks and done them in the parts washer with biodiesel.

However here I’ve got no solvent, and the chain’s a flippin shimano one so no power link.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I chuck everything in a tub with white spirit and do a little shaky shaky dance for a bit.

stumpyjon

Used white spirit and a tooth brush on my road bike cahin on Saturday followed by some Hope Sh1t shifter. It’s metal coloured again now rather than the aforementionned black gunk.

Jamie
    Free Member

As you’re loaded Molgrips, you should have just bought a new chain.

Davesport

Haven’t you got a dishwasher. They’re ace for stuff like this 😀

Cylinder heads & Crankcases come up a treat too !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Black gunky chain of doom’ is closed to new replies.