Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • 'Black Friday'. Where's the worst place? And who's braving it?
  • binners

Seems like the A&E departments are bracing themselves for an onslaught of drunken injuries and Kebab-House Fight Club victims, who’s braving the madness and going out tonight then? and where?

And whats the worst place? I’d nominate Whitehaven in Cumbria where its referred to as ‘Mad Friday’. I was out there a few years back and I’ve never seen anything like it. Apparently it was all the Sellafield staff with their Christmas Bonuses in their back pocket. It literally looked like a war zone by last orders! Bodies lying all over the vomit-strewn pavements. When the apocalypse comes, this is what it will look like.

Your nominations for the most mental place to go tonight would be…. ?

ton

leeds and wakefield are like hell on earth.

even a double hard ba5tard like me stays away on mad friday……………… 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“black eye friday” innit?

Out in Ulverston, wont be able to make it to Whitehaven unfortunately but it sounds great. Probably hear some great stories about it at work though.

DezB
    Free Member

oh, I bet this will be The Place tonight. Carnage.
    I’ll be watching telly.

woody2000

I don’t know where the worst place WOULD be, but I can tell you my worst “Mad Friday” was at the Puzzle Hall Inn, Sowerby Bridge. I won’t bore anyone with the details, but suffice to say I consumed a lot of <things>, and spent the next 2 days in hospital. 😕

That was 2000, and I’ve stayed in ever since!

ton

dezb……..me too, sipping me horlicks 8)

Saintly
    Free Member

“black eye friday innit?” Yep, certainly is in Penrith.

I will be braving it for a short while to catch up with a few folks but not staying to the apocolyptic end. The worst thing is turning up at 6 and feeling like you are at least twenty pints behind eveyone else.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m going down the smoke to point and laugh at cockneys getting drunk on half a pint of shandy and then trying to ride home on their brakeless fixies while smoking a cigarette.

I was thinking of going out drinking myself but then I reconsidered because

a) All beer in London tastes dead watery and has eels floating in it.
    and
    b) Being a Northerner and all I’ll be the hardest bloke in the entire city so won’t be able to get in any fights,.

philconsequence
    Free Member

dont people have work next week? why is tonight special? i’ve never heard of black friday in this context before…

genuinely confused as to what i’m missing 😕

BoardinBob

i’ve never heard of black friday in this context before…

Really???

philconsequence
    Free Member

yeah…. is it a northern thing or something?

samuri
    Free Member

Me too, first time I’ve ever heard the term was on the radio this morning.

lazybike
    Free Member

more like bleak friday…

Admiralable
    Free Member

Cardiff and we were as a team but half of them can’t get in due to weather! 🙁

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of it before either but a colleague here says it’s basically the last Friday before xmas when alot of xmas parties breakout and end up in the pubs.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

black friday was always the crappest clubbing night of the year when the place would fill up with pissed up blokes and really ruff women and i would guenuinely be more worried about being lamped by a “woman” than a bloke.
    bother in law used to work the door at flairs in southampton so that would sound like a typical night for him

Saintly
    Free Member

That about sums it up Mikey, around here it tends to be a lot of the construction companies that go out on mass. Generally starting at midday and drinking it out to the bitter end.

Woody
    Free Member

Black eye Friday here too (Durham) and I’m not at work, woohoo!

A few of us from the ambulance station are going out for a xmas curry and a couple of beers tonight in a peaceful little backwater………………….Consett !!

Should make a nice change NOT to have to pick up the ‘casualties of war’ 😆

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhh the xmas party thing makes sense 🙂 did wonder why tonight would be worse than any others.

glad i’m not the only one who hadnt heard of it.

Jamie
    Free Member

i’ve never heard of black friday in this context before…

Likewise. Is it a Northern thing?

bassspine
    Free Member

I think some reporter made it up. To get it really right it should be blackfridaygate

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno, I thought it was well known but I typed it into google and the links on the first page relate to Barrow, NWevening mail and Whitehaven.

Drac

Radge Friday up here. I’m off now until new years eve so let the chaos commence no I’m not going out this tear.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

And there’s me thinking it was a Xmas shopping thing… 😳

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of it before. I’m going out in Reading though.

ourmaninthenorth

This may be a northern vernacular phrase I have not yet stumbled across in my time exiled up here.

Suffice to say, every Friday is like this in towns and cities across the north.

STAY HOME AND LOCK YOUR DOORS!! WE’RE DOOMED, I TELL YE, DOOMED!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

what time are you coming to reading? i’m in reading at the moment…. but I’m leaving at about 4:45 to go home

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

I’ve worked in bars in Ulverston on ‘Black Eye Friday’. It’s true to say that the women can be even rougher than the men *shudder*. Far too much blood and broken glass. Barrow is even worse, but the row of pubs and clubs (also know as the Gaza Strip) is one one side of the square and the Police station is on the other, so it’s not too far from the bar to the cells. Classy place is Barrow.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Woody – I’m from Consett, it’s a beautiful place.

North Road in Durham is always a sight to behold at kicking out time. Every Friday is Black Eye Friday.

🙂

Woody
    Free Member

GG It’s a toss-up between North Road and Millenium Square for calls nowadays, although to be fair Millenium tends to be more mini skirted tooty toppling over in their high heels…………….

Consett calls are usually the result of fighting and is as likely to be female as it is male. Make of that what you will !

djglover
    Free Member

I was on a conference call with people in Cardiff earlier, they’d witnessed a punch up over a loaf of bread in this morning panic buying, not holding out much hope for a civilized evening

heard it called black eye friday in the north east before

GlitterGary
    Free Member

A pint and a fight – great British night.

scaredypants

DezB – Member
    oh, I bet this will be The Place tonight. Carnage.

I’m nearly on your map right now dez and our “do” is tonight 😕 . I’ll not see you in the white swan then ?

binners

That’s a potential t shirt design if ever there was one GlitterGary 😀

woody2000

meehaja
    Free Member

donning my assault boots (vomit proof) and probably putting my best hi viz on before stepping out for a 12 hour night shift in Leeds city centre. Last year we moved 23 patients in 12 hours, normal friday we shift 10-12 max. Not sure wether to go with mounted machine guns or keep a low profile and pick off the trouble makers with sniper rifles to put the fear in the rank and file. I’ve got bananas, apples and tobacco packed up ready for the onslaught and a mushroom stroganoff back at base. naan for dipping and extra water to keep hydrated.

Stay frosty out there!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Swansea centre on a Saturday night is the “worst” I’ve seen – so bad that us students used to stick to uni bars. Coaches would pile in, unload Valley monsters and unleash hell.

The rest of the week was generally fine.

Woody
    Free Member

Jeez meehaja, were you piling them on the roof? I’d leave the hi-viz off just in case you get mistaken for a copper 😉

binners

Stay frosty indeed meehaja. You’re a braver man than I. 😉

MRanger156
    Free Member

I was thinking about going out in leeds later, might give it a miss.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘'Black Friday'. Where's the worst place? And who's braving it?’ is closed to new replies.