• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Black box Car insurance
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Basically My step daughter has just passed her test and to insure her on her own on a 1.2 Cords it’s £2,000 to 2500 fully comp. Now with insure the box it comes down to £1300. Now I don’t know anything about these telematics devices but I understand they monitor her driving and set a curfew.

But she stops at her boyfriends a few nights a week and would obviously drive there and park up there. What affect would this have on her insurance?

bubs

Depends on the underlying rate engine and it can vary massively. It might be worth looking at Drive like a girl as I don’t think that they have a curfew. It will pick up that it is being left at a different address still but I believe it is more focused on the type of driving (rather than more traditional rating factors).

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I can get it down to just over £900 with drive like a girl with me or her mum as a additional driver and her a main driver also.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    keng38
    Free Member

Don’t think there’s a curfew.
    Had one for my daughter, they come out and fit the box.
    Get bonus miles for keeping under speed limit and they don’t like motorway miles or driving at peak times.
    Got ours to £600 with me on as named driver (not main).

wilburt
    Free Member

Some set a curfew, many however don’t .

Not having a connected car will be the exception soon.

If it makes your insurance cheaper and means your daughter will be a safer driver why not?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

What’s the score with driving it before the box is fitted? Obviously insured but if she needs to work before the box is fitted.

wilburt
    Free Member

Did they tell you not to drive until it was fitted?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Not bought the car yet. From a used car dealer. With some I’ve read you have up to 14 days to have the box fitted so I’d imagine you can drive it till then.

jota180
    Free Member

What’s the score with driving it before the box is fitted? Obviously insured but if she needs to work before the box is fitted.

Driving before they fitted it was fine when my daughter started with them
    It took them a couple of weeks to get around to installing it IIRC

MoreCashThanDash

1.2 Corsa may not help either. Very popular car with young drivers, and so statistically more likely to crash.

njee20
    Free Member

Not having a connected car will be the exception soon.

Black boxes required in all new cars by the EU by October 2015. You won’t have to use it for insurance, but the technology has to be there.

br
    Free Member

her mum as a additional driver

Always worth having an older additional driver on a younger persons policy – and they don’t actually have to drive at all, so perfectly legal. Knocked over a grand off my eldest’s premium.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Black box Car insurance’ is closed to new replies.