Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Black bikes with gold bits on them, show me them!
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

Bought a black frame.
    Already got gold bits but they don’t match the decals.
    I am thinking black and gold = JPS lotus style (clutching at straws).
    Don’t tell me to just do black, I’m a 90’s MTBer so colourful ano all the way for me……

kayak23

Well there’s this one…

scaled
    Free Member

Niiiiiiiiino…

ta11pau1

New canyon spectral

Bez

Excuse the road bike, but I done one.

I wanted gold hubs but there’s limited choice for dyno hubs.

So: gold cables, chain, headset, seat collar, cable crimps, nipples (only half of them, on the less-stressed spokes), valve caps, assorted bolts.

I think I’d originally planned to use red, but then I found the cables and was sold on gold.

I quite want to build a black and purple one next 🙂

submarined
    Free Member

Hoooooly crap, that PP! All The Want!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Hoooooly crap, that PP! All The Want!

I get that a lot.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Oooof that gold cassette? How many body parts do I have to sell to get one of those?

kcr
    Free Member

There can only be one gold and black bike:

newrobdob
    Free Member

Sweet Smeg that cassette is pricey!!

doordonot
    Free Member

*ahem* there can only be one gold and black bike and it is surely the Raleigh Gold Burner …

thegreatape
    Free Member

What was that Raleigh called? I seem to recall it being one down from the range topping and drool inducing white Elan in my (roughly) late 80s Raleigh brochure.

thegreatape
    Free Member

There’s a black with gold Airdrop Edit on their facebook page. Possibly a picture on the nicked Airdrops thread?

kcr
    Free Member

Raleigh Record Sprint.
    I had a bike built with a Record Sprint frame, early 80s. The one on the right in the picture belongs to my cousin, who picked it up second hand a few year ago. We stopped in the middle of a big group on a demo ride and completely by chance, someone stopped next to us with another Record Sprint!

paule
    Free Member

My old bike is pretty much black & gold, also because I loved the jps cars years ago. Black frame, forks, bars etc. Gold chainring, pedals, grip collars.

Not looking as coordinated as it used to, as it’s now got white rims, but I’ll try to find a decent pic somewhere

sillyoldman

thegreatape – it’s an Ultra Burner. The Alloy bars failed almost immediately and were replaced by steel jobs instead. Also came in a much less crass looking (IMO) silver and anodised blue. Weirdly for the time, they came with a Suntour cassette type hub (rather than a screw on freewheel) like all BMXs run these days.

hols2
    Free Member

kcal

I bought a second hand road bike in 1985, finally split it the other year.
    It was a Falcon Grand Prix very much in JPS colours – gold brake levers and cranks.

Or Moto Guzzi Le Mans Black/Gold.

Was sad to see it go..
    Can’t find an easy to hand pic though.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Loving the look of this:

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Worlds most beautiful bike.

sprinter2139
    Free Member

My personal favourite in this category, and what I’d have bought instead of my Swoop 8.0 if I could have afforded it at the time…

qwerty
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

I think the word Ratners sums this thread up…

sillyoldman

Yup.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

@kcr – Raleigh Record Sprint was my first thought too! Had one in my early teens and remember it fondly.

blader1611
    Free Member

So was the raleigh ultra burner An upgrade on the super burner?

sillyoldman

Blader1611 – yes. Alloy vs steel bars (until they snapped and were replaced with steel ones), Suntour stem vs SR, Tange fork rather than the Raleigh job. Anaya 7X rims on Suntour hubs with 14g spokes, rather than the steel rims on steel hubs with 12g spokes, Sugino cromo crank and spider with alloy ring vs steel crank and steel ring with chainguard (though both had 40T when they should have been 44T). Alloy caged MKS pedals rather than the steel rat-traps.

Same frame, headset, tyres, saddle and post, but pretty much all else was different.
    Super Burner was the same as the standard Burner but with a Gold plastic finish over a chrome plated frame. Same with the rims.

Slightly embarrassed about knowing that.

Braw picture of me and my mates lined up doing a demo for Nicholsons Cycles at Dundee’s Dens Park in the early 80s (mostly on Burners). Any old-school BMXers might vaguely recognise the sadly missed Scott Carroll second from right.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Black bikes with gold bits on them, show me them!’ is closed to new replies.