Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Black and White cars – a bit boring – why?
  • hols2
    Free Member

The multi-colour thing is available as an aftermarket option for any popular car with minimal effort.

nixie

In some markets (Turkey for instance) white is by far the predominant colour and has been for ages. If you don’t sell a white option your won’t sell many.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One of the nicest looking cars in white is this (never owned a golf) they just seem to have got everything right, size, shape, proportions, stance, curves/design.

Drac

Waiting for one of those coming, well 5 door GTE, I chose white as it was the only option on the lease left in stock.

Cougar

That Polo on the first page looks like it should belong to the Sixth Doctor.

Black and white are now standard colours not optional extras like they once were instead of dog shit brown.

That’s “Russet Brown,” Mister.

champagne gold

I had a Champagne gold Cavalier once. One of the best cars I ever owned, I adored it.

welshfarmer

The real reason?

We are all becoming more “Belgian”

When I used to live in Germany in the mid-late 90s we used to play a game while driving through Belgium of “Spot the car that isn’t black white, silver or dark blue” Even in rush hour traffic on the Brussels ring road you would be lucky to see 1 or 2 non-conformists.

So there you have it. It has taken 20 odd years but we are all becoming more Belgian 🙁

Maybe Brexit will lead to us buying more colourful cars again 🙂

parkesie
    Free Member

Cars are basicaly a white good to most people anyway. My day to day car certainly is.

Cougar

Maybe Brexit will lead to us buying more colourful cars again

It’ll probably reduce the number of black and brown ones. Last I heard the Brexiteers wanted to send them all back where they came from.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Maybe Brexit will lead to us buying more colourful cars again
    It’ll probably reduce the number of black and brown ones. Last I heard the Brexiteers wanted to send them all back where they came from.

Ohh..

molgrips
    Free Member

I really like shiny pearly white, if it’s done with some nice black window trim. Wouldn’t want to have to keep one clean though.

davosaurusrex

There was a time 10 years or so back when you would struggle to buy a new, white car. I remember seeing a Passat in white (in Walking Bottom carpark, perhaps almost predictably) back then and it really stood out. I asked the driver and he worked for the golf firm Ping, they had a custom order. But now white cars are chavtastic

Now I have a choice between an Ateca with boring colours except a minging orange or a VW which also have crap options. Probably get a light blue Passat as it’s least boring but they don’t even do them in tornado red anymore. Rubbish.

Always wanted a mark 2 GTI in oak green metallic, that was a good colour. Best around now is Mazda candy red I reckon

Agree on boring Belgian cars. Plus they’re shit/lunatic drivers

matt_outandabout

I too wish that colour was more prevalent on all things, not just cars.

I drive a ‘tarmac grey’ car. 🙁

Too many black/grey/silver/white boring colours out there.
    It doesn’t have to be outlandish.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

This thread made me laugh. We’ve got a black car and have just ordered a white one 😆

I actually think there’s a lot more colour on the road these days. Those Citreon Cactus are a refreshingly colourful sight and I keep seeing lots of colourful city cars like Aygos. In my experience it seems the bigger the car, the less exciting the colour choices less adventurous the owners become.

Houns

My first ever car was white (18 years ago) I got no end of stick for it. I do think white cars are chav (now) and the fashion for them started with Audi’s ad campaign for one of their models (Like the previous trend for silver cars started after Audi launched the TT and every ad campaign for that featured silver TT’s).

As mentioned above, drivers of grey, silver, white and black cars (my car is black) need to realise that they are camouflaged during rain, fog, mist, snow etc so should stick their lights on (not just rely on drl’s on the front)

My favourite colour on any new car at the moment is the minty green on the fiat 500’s

Cougar

the less exciting the colour choices less adventurous the owners become.

IME, you were right the first time.

I suppose as well it’s one of target audience. A big portion of the market for “family” cars is going to be fleet hire, and I expect most companies aren’t going want a car park that looks like a deleted scene from the Tellytubbies.

Drac

That metallic green was bloody awful.

A family friend had one it spoilt a good car.

jimjam
    Free Member

That looks awesome.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

I always wondered why

Be thankful it wasnt beige as it shouldve been banned

molgrips
    Free Member

Almost got hit by a grey car on a bright sunny day many years ago. Small flat roundabout with a tree in the middle. I was on my bike, glanced to my right and went, then a dark grey car suddenly appeared.

Tarmac is dark grey, shadows on tarmac are even darker grey, eyes adjusted for the bright sunlit countryside – car was invisible to the quick glance.

I learned to look better, and some time later the council removed the tree. But the whole thing would not have happened with a red car. What I am trying to say is if you drive a grey car, expect not to be seen.

Drac

Yeah everything is invisble at a quick glance because human eyes aren’t good enough for that.

ourmaninthenorth

The trend back to white was really kicked off by the Mk5 Golf GTi. It’s the contrast of the white body, black grill and the famous red grill trim.

Remember that white is both the original no-cost option (remember when the paint would turn to a flat matt finish within a year?) and also a cost-option with the various pearls and metallics.

The reality that “resale white” (or silver or black) is, of course a bit of a myth: so few cars are genuinely traded in – rather than just handed back to avoid the PCP balloon and a new PCP starts – that other than paying for the paint option up front there’s no reason not to get an interesting colour.

My current car is white (popular and refreshingly new 7+ years ago). Its forthcoming replacement is be metallic red. Mrs North’s car is bright DKR* and looks all the better for it.

The reality is that most people are sheep and are happy with the automotive equivalents of magnolia in the home.

*dog’s knob red

Andyhilton
    Free Member

That Oak Green GTI is awesome.

matt_outandabout

That Oak Green GTI is awesome.

+1

davosaurusrex

See?

Drac

Nope it’s rank.

RustySpanner

bikebouy – Member

We will see what colour cars of the near future will be, I suspect poo brown or fawn.

Just newer BMW SUV’s in a particularly horrible shade of dogshit brown round here, so far.

Magenta very popular with Fords and the Peugeot owners ATM, and most of the FIAT 500’s seem to be minty green….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, the manufacturer does seem to be punting Brown/Russet Brown/Rusty Gold/Bronze/Magenta/Deep Reds.

I’ve been looking for a new car to replace a Black XC60, going back into any dealer of note these days seems to need a solid constitution and an ability to ask “what colour is that”??

But the worst IMO is this..

Edukator
    Free Member

This is the other non cost colour on Dacias, Monkey.

Well would you have that or white.

Buying our latest car we got to colour and both agreed white. Madame pointed to the car on display saying it looked really nice in white. I pointed across to the Dacia showroom and explained as tactfully as possible that white meant the same as the Dacia Sandero rather than the rather pleasing pearl white of the car on display for which we’d have to pay a fortune and wait forever. The saleman nodded, Madame decided a Dacia white Renault would be fine because we could touch it up with Tipex like our Dacia (I really use white house paint but you get the idea).

hp_source

My car is black and white…. put it’s a Panda, so I guess that’s normal 😉

and it’s anything but boring

(borrowed image)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Some cars.. however… look good in Brun..

Drac

Any examples?

CountZero

Nope it’s rank.

No, it really isn’t. That Lexus IS a truly rank colour, so hard to see why any sensible person might think that’s a nice colour to choose for a car, given a range to pick from.
    My Octavia is a similar colour, I didn’t choose it, it happened to be the colour that the car was painted, and it was just the car I needed.
    I visited a friend last Saturday who I haven’t seen for twenty-five years, her mum was there, and as soon as she saw my car she fell in love with it, said she’d always wanted a car that colour green!.
    While I was out driving the other day, I did pay more attention to car colours, and it’s clear that the majority are very monochromatic, largely grey, silver, white and black, with a few blues and reds, and rarer greens and even rarer yellow.
    I do love the Fire Red metallic that Renault use on the Clio, Captur and Kadjar, it’s a beautiful shade of red, and in sunlight it almost glows, but they’re not so common.

RustySpanner

bikebouy – Member
    Some cars.. however… look good in Brun..

No they don’t.
    They all subconsciously turn into an Austin Princess.

Cars should make you smile, not make you check the bottom of your shoe everytime you get out.
    😀

Drac

No, it really isn’t.

It definitely is.

That Lexus IS a truly rank colour

Yup it’s also rank.

crispyrice

Driving along with my wife and another couple, my wife remarked there are alot of boring silver cars on the road, she went on to say she would never choose a silver car.

This caused me much amusement as I pointed out that the car we were traveling in was silver and indeed was her car 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m not 100% sure why the XC70 I posted, you think, doesn’t look good in brown ?

I think Silver and grey cars hide a lot of the odd shapes and angles designers build into them, that’s why the colours are pretty uniformly accepted.

Here is another brown un’

And a green un’

And a gold n green un’

Cougar

“What colour would you like, sir?”

“Let me see… do you have anything in Bronchitis?”

spooky_b329

Surprised at all the green car haters 🙂

Favorite colour was my old Citroen ZX in Amazon green.

Pearlescent green (light green base with dark green on top)

Saccades
    Free Member

I always put it down to the police starting to buy silver patrol cars, I presumed to improve resale value. Until then white was utilities or emergency services.

Bought a 2 year old ex-police car in 2000, only private white car on the roads.

Now have an in your face red car, much nicer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Very popular..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Black and White cars – a bit boring – why?’ is closed to new replies.