Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Bizarre trail repair 'B' adjustment screw sheared off… but what caused it?
  • Tomahawk
    Free Member

Was out n about the other night doing the usual 'aggressive' trail riding. 😕

I noticed that something was wrong when i tried to engage a low gear on the next climb and the rear mech made an alarming noise. After a prolonged inspection (in which everything seemed fine for a good while… proir to the moving parts test) it became apparent that the 'B' adjustment srew had sheared off. Thus not alowing me the clearence to access the low gears.

In the end… whipped of the mech and was able to insert the srew the opposite way round to give the required stand off.

But what caused it? Happened to anyone else? It seems a bizarre thing to break in the manor that it did and the carbon X-O mech is fine. 😕

13thfloormonk

I've seen it happen on X-O mechs before (twice I think). I think X-O mechas are designed to slide from slide to slide a tiny bit, instead of Shimano's sliding jockey wheel.

Maybe the bolt just fatigues from lots of tiny sideways movements? They're thin aluminium bolts so it wouldn't take much I don't think.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Ah… so maybe it was a cyclical fatigue break? Yeah, could be, although it just sits against the drop out on the Heckler. I'm just please the mech is o.k! 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Bizarre trail repair 'B' adjustment screw sheared off… but what caused it?’ is closed to new replies.