Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • bizarre punctures.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

3 rides and three punctures (road bike).
    The last one just 100m from home. Each time it’s a blow out and I lose all the air in a matter of seconds. Each time I look for the cause and can find nothing.
    Now I’m sitting at home and can have a proper look. Puncture on the inside of the tube, so it must be a spoke poking through the rim tape. No! The hole doesn’t line up with any of the spokes, nothing on the rim/rim tape.
    2 different tubes gone the same way.
    I’m baffled. ❓ 😕

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t be nothing! Stick some insulating tape over the rim on the area and see if it still does it. Doesn’t take much to pop a tube at those pressures.

donsimon
    Free Member

Can’t be nothing!

I know.
    Not happening at the same point either, so I guess it’s a tyre problem.

jonathan
    Free Member

Could it be, dare I say, a user error – pinching the tube when refitting the tyre for instance?

donsimon
    Free Member

Could it be, dare I say, a user error – pinching the tube when refitting the tyre for instance?

Could be, but I doubt it. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Not using those horrid tyre lever things are you?

donsimon
    Free Member

Good lord, no!
    I’ll get some new tyres tomorrow and see what happens. I can’t be arsed trying the other one now.
    Arse!

SiB
    Free Member

Are your brake blocks sitting true on the rim and not touching the tyre? This happened to me a few months ago, hadnt altered the brakes but for some reason one of the blocks had moved up and gradually frayed the tyre ever so slightly allowing the inner tube to bubble out the tyre and therefore blow. Was a very small fray in tyre made by minimal contact between tyre and block and I was surprised innertube could actually fit through such a small hole but under such high pressure i suppose its going to happen. It was on the third puncture in one day I realised what was happening, annoying but glad to get to bottom of it. Good luck!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Tubes same make? Faulty or perished?

donsimon
    Free Member

Tubes new and different make, I’m going with SiB’s knackered tyre scenario as the tyres are old, the sidewall seems quite thin in places.
    Scuppered today’s ride.
    Balderdash!

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

Is it along the manufacturing line? (the ridge where they join the rubber)

donsimon
    Free Member

No.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

Not much help to the OP because I assume he’s replacing the tube each time, but an amusing related story:

Years ago my dad was getting lots of punctures riding to and from work. Two or three a day, patching them each time. Always in a different place. Couldn’t find anything sharp in the tyre or rim. After a few days of this he decided to put a new tube in. With the whole tube out the problem was obvious – a small nail had stuck right through and was now INSIDE the tube. How we laughed (well I did!)

DezB
    Free Member

With the whole tube out the problem was obvious

Not doubting your story, but how did he patch without getting the whole tube out?!

SiB
    Free Member

don simon……i put tape on inside of tyre to prevent tube from bubbling through as a temporary fix, two months on tape is still there and no problems (but I will get new tyres one day!). So if you’ve got tape and a new tube you migt be able to go for that ride afterall! Seems a shame to waste a nice day!

robnorthcott
    Free Member

With the whole tube out the problem was obvious

Not doubting your story, but how did he patch without getting the whole tube out?!
    Just partially remove the tyre and pull the leaking bit of tube out where it’s hissing. I thought that was normal for a quick fix by the side of the road – perhaps I’ve picked up weird habits. These days I normally just carry a spare tube, but will quite often still patch a puncture if I’m on a hub-geared bike where it’s a faff to remove the wheel.

SiB
    Free Member

+1 for just removing puctured part of tube if obvious where puncture is

Farticus

Had something very similar on my 819 rim – so tubeless and no spoke as fully sealed rim.

First off it refused to hold air, with air leaking out around the valve, so i thought it was the valve. Ended up sealing the valve in, but air just came out from round the spokes.

So, popped a tube in and all was OK for a while, then a puncture … then another, so I blamed the newly surfaced towpaths.

Tyre changed to a proper commuting one, so nice and tough. Still got a puncture every other day. Eventually realised the punctures were all on the inside of the tubes, and then I found what I thought was a big scratch along the rim (running along the bed, not across it). So I filed it, thinking it was burrs rubbing through the tubes.

And another puncture … so I took the rim off (OK, I cut all the spokes with wirecutters, so “took” might not be accurate) and sent the hub off the JRA to be built up again. Once the rim was off what looked like a scratch was a big crack that was expanding – as I say, along the rim bed around the rim rather than across it. So the crack was opening under load and “biting” the tube.

First rim I’ve every had fail. Worth checking yours?

donsimon
    Free Member

Seems a shame to waste a nice day!

I’m in Spain, my friend, it’ll be nice tomorrow, the day after that, the day after that, the day after that, the day after that, the day after that, the day after that, the day after that, the day after that… Repeat until November. 😉

woody2000

I’m in Spain, my friend, it’ll be nice tomorrow, the day after that, the day after that…

The last timne I was in Spain, it f*cking pissed it down royally for 5 days, floods, people dying etc. If you’ve kiboshed my upcoming trip to Spain by invoking the wrath of the weather gods again – I’m going to hunt you down Mr Simon, mark my words!

😀

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

woody2000

Good, make sure it stays like that, especially that bit just above his right hand. Ok?

😀

bob_summers

That pic’s ‘shopped. There’s a sun over pais vasco…

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s a sun over pais vasco…

😆
    Back from an 85km puncture free ride. Tyre changed, inner changed and blake blocks moved. I’m going to go with a knackered tyre at this point. I’m going to ache tomorrow. 😥

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘bizarre punctures.’ is closed to new replies.