Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bizarre conversation with bike shop
  • rob2
    Free Member

So bike shop has a pair of pikes for sale on its website. However the wheel size isn’t mentioned so I phone them up to ask.

Guy answers and I ask him what the wheel size the forks are for. He looks on their website and tells me it says they will fit all wheel sizes – 29, 27.5, 26.

I then said that can’t be the case as they will be for a specific wheel size. (Granted any wheel size will fit in the 29er).

He said no they fit any wheel size. That’s when the call ended.

I’m now beginning to question my own sanity. Maybe he was right!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Well if they’re for a 29′ you could fit other size wheels in there 😆

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

You talked to a bike shop. That was your first mistake.

I’m surprised he didn’t try to sell you the new frame, and groupset that you absolutely needed to use with these super amazing all-wheel-size forks

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s usually the other way around when it comes to wheel sizes – a recent conversation with a customer:

“I need a spoke for my wheel, one broke.”
    “Sure, what length do you need?”
    “Just the normal length.”

😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“I need a spoke for my wheel, one broke.”
    “Sure, what length do you need?”
    “Just the normal length.”

Recent? Regular, more like!

“I need a new stem/seatpost/tube/bar/tyre/etc”
    …..
    Yeah, a normal sized one. You must know! ”

qwerty
    Free Member

Sure they weren’t for a trioval wheel?

Rorschach
    Free Member

“I need some brake blocks”
    “No.The ones for discs”
    “It’s a specialized….the red one”

pigyn
    Free Member

Were they boost?

pigyn
    Free Member

From the Fishers site regarding 29 Boost Pikes:

“SPECIFICATIONS
    Wheel size 26″, 27.5″, 29″, 29″/27.5″+”

Just saying 😀

Still though, chances are they were just a dick.

rob2
    Free Member

They aren’t boost but maybe they are 29″ so he was right!

akira

The fishers website means there is a 26″ version, a 27.5″ version, a 29″ version and a 29/27.5+” version.

tomhoward

My 26 ones take 27.5 wheels…

The fishers website means there is a 26″ version, a 27.5″ version, a 29″ version and a 29/27.5+” version.

You sure?

bencooper
    Free Member

Fishers only lists 27.5″ and 29″/27.5″ versions, under the specs it says 26″/27.5″/29″.

So I’m assuming there’s two versions, one for 27.5″ and below, and one for 29″ and below.

Northwind

I had quite a long conversation with the youth in Go Outdoors when I bought my Dune, the forks were on back to front but they were 100% convinced that it was supposed to be that way. They ship to the store that way so they assemble and PDI but they assumed the factory assembled it as it was to be ridden. So far so supermarket but the good bit was, while the dude was away doing something else he checked up, discovered he was wrong, came back and apologised then started checking up on other buyers to make sure their bikes were OK, and leaving messages for colleagues to stop it happening again. Pretty good that!

akira

Rockshox list three different axle to crown lengths and three different weights for 26,27.5 and 29″ so I’m presuming they’re different forks and the 27.5+/29 have boost so they’re different as well.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You sure?

😀

pigyn
    Free Member

I took it to mean 29/27+ and 26×4.0 might squeeze in if you are lucky, and you drop the travel to correct axle to crown.

Not had a chance to test it though, but seen a picture of a Yari boost with 27.5×3.0 and the side clearance looked massive.

The specs for the non boost just list 29 I think. And yes I am aware they give weights for diffirent wheelsizes, as they make diffirent forks for them, but ALSO Boost ones that fit lots of wide stuff.

eshershore
    Free Member

different sku’s for different products (each sku is an unique identifier)..an example:

SKU Code: RS9243010 Rock Shox – Pike RCT3 – 29″/27.5″ + Boost Compatible

SKU Code: RS9231010 Rock Shox – Pike RCT3 – 29″ MaxleLite 15

SKU Code: RS8650002 Rock Shox – Pike RCT3 – 27.5″ MaxleLite 15

SKU Code: RS9229005 Rock Shox – Pike RCT3 – 26″ MaxleLite 15

SKU Code: RS9243001 Rock Shox – Pike RCT3 – 27.5″ Boost Compatible 15×110 Solo Air 130

antigee

they were on their website – doesn’t mean they physically have the stock – suspect it’s at the agents warehouse and you can have whatever size you want as they order when you order or that would be my suspicion

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So you probably got either someone new or someone not having their best day. Anyway Co story bro and carry on with the lbs bashing 😉 as many have said it’s normally the customer who is a bit clueless or the internet told me I needed…

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

STW commandment #1: Thoust shall never bash the holy church of the LBS 😆

akira

#2 smile at dogs.

nairnster
    Free Member

I also took it to mean that they have/can get you a fork for any wheel size. Guy at the bike shop probably thought you were a bit slow.

matt_outandabout

I also took it to mean that they have/can get you a fork for any wheel size.

^this.

They won’t have them in stock, just can order up if you wanted a pair.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bizarre conversation with bike shop’ is closed to new replies.