Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bizarre centre-lock adaptor question
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Does one exist which can be reversed, i.e. mounting the disc closer to the spokes?

I’d tell you why but it’s a DIY project involving carbon fibre and the al-haterz would bully me.

Stoner
    Free Member

C/l for a 6 bolt?

could you not grind the mount down so that it moves the rotor inboard?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I could but I don’t have a grinder nor lathe (latter would make it easy I think) and of course it needs to be true.

I do have a drill and a black and decker work-mate, that could become a lathe of sorts…JOKE ALERT

Stoner
    Free Member

isnt it just alloy?
    Random orbital sander, spare sheets and a vernier?

bodgetastic.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Indeed…alloy dust everywhere!

Got 6mm to remove/adapt.

epicyclo

Sounds like a time to get creative with a Hope disk (with the alloy spider) and some spacers

or maybe an XT would be simpler

Edit: I think I’d try the Shimano first – easier to do. Your own risk, natch!

Edit edit: a bit of alloy plate cut in a circle would make a better spacer and you could pass it off as an extra heat sink that’s necessary because of your awesome braking skills 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Disc needs to move into hub epi not away from it…do you mean cut away at the back of the xtr rotor spline and spacer in front of it?

xtr too expensive for expt and it needs 140mm so gotta be 6-bolt rotor otherwise.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Had more of a look at this – idea is put a disc brake on an audax bike and use it cx.

A 160mm rotor fitted on backwards with a 2mm bb spacer clears the stay and there’s space for the caliper in there too. A 140mm wouldn’t need the spacer and would be tighter but manageable.

R0011080 by alan cole, on Flickr

Tyre clearance may be an issue though (32mm tyre, 3-4mm clearance per side)

R0011081 by alan cole, on Flickr

There’s a prize for the first person to say “why not just buy a cx bike?”

druidh
    Free Member

Tons of tyre clearance on an Amazon Al – and it’s got disk mounts…..

coogan
    Free Member

why not just buy a cx bike?

cynic-al
    Free Member

:love:

coogan
    Free Member

I’ll get that on Saturday!

epicyclo

cynic-al – Member
    Disc needs to move into hub epi not away from it…do you mean cut away at the back of the xtr rotor spline and spacer in front of it?

Yeah, drill out the existing locating pins, put spacer on inside and the disk on the inside of that. Then bolt it up.

But much better if you can avoid that faff.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Think I’m just gonna use a 160mm with 2mm filed off it or maybe a 140.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bizarre centre-lock adaptor question’ is closed to new replies.