Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)
  • Bizarre car question – A6 v Golf R?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Test drove a few cars today, including an A6, 5 series, 3 series and a wild card…a Golf R.

Surprisingly (to me anyway), I preferred the A6 to the 5 series. Both were nice but predictably very vanilla.

Last car of the day was a Golf R. Almost wet myself driving it, couldn’t stop smiling. In eco mode it just sounds and feels like a regular golf. Put it into sport mode and a 911 will struggle to keep up. Stupidly fast and incredibly fun to drive. Looks almost just like a regular Golf too, so totally anonymous, perfect for me.

9k of my annual mileage is commuting in traffic, I really couldn’t care less what car that is in.

10k+ of my annual mileage is driving in the north of Scotland. That means roads that are almost perfect for the Golf R, but distances and times more suited to the A6.

I carry a lot of stuff in the car (bikes, climbing stuff, snowboards etc) and the golf looks ok with the seats down, but the A6 avant obviously better.

A6 is more expensive, but Golf R has worse mpg, so they will almost cost the same over the time I will own them. In fact, Golf R likely to prove more expensive in the long run.

So…one part of me says “get the Audi! You will be more comfortable and it’s more practical!”, the other part says “get the Golf R! It puts a smile on your face! Don’t be boring!”

I know this is a first world problem, but I’m genuinely stumped!

Anyone care to share anecdotal stuff that will sway me either way?

(the other option is to get a bigger engine in the A6 I suppose. But it’s not the same……)

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got an A6, and a Golf GT. Now, clearly my golf isn’t as fast as the R, however I love driving it, and even with my wife and two kids, I try to go out in the golf instead of the audi. The A6 just feels so ponderous, slow and too damn big on little roads!

boblo
    Free Member

What ingin in the Audi?

sofatester
    Free Member

Does it have to be a new car?

If not have you looked at the RS4? Bonkers fast, room for your kit and a good one will leave you plenty of change from the £30k the Golf costs you. If you can find a decent example and get a private warranty you’ll have your cake and eat it.

If not, get the golf and a roof rack.

peterfile
    Free Member

2.0d Audi. Looked at the 3.0 biturbo but quite a bit more expensive.

To be honest, the audi was plenty fast enough, but I obviously wasn’t grinning like a maniac every time i ran up the slip road to join a motorway! Even coming out of junctions was fun in the Golf!

A6 and Golf R were of particular note because there are some seriously cheap (in comparison to the value of the vehicles) leasing deals on, under £300 per month.

I don’t care whether it’s new or 10 years old. All I care about is whether I like it and whether the overall monthly cost to run it is good.

I’ve looked at used S4, RS4, 3.0 A6 and 530/535…but the big issue is warranty. All within my price range (ie same price or less than leasing new) are outside of manufacturers warranty. So when you factor in an insured warranty the price rockets for cars like that once they’re getting a bit older. Insured warranty for older Audi rocket ships in particular are crazy expensive (i’ve been getting quotes of £2k per year!)

Something like an 08 plate A6 3.0 Quattro or 530d with 80k on the clock would come into the same price bracket.

sofatester
    Free Member

I’ve looked at used S4, RS4, 3.0 A6 and 530/535…but the big issue is warranty. All within my price range (ie same price or less than leasing new) are outside of manufacturers warranty. So when you factor in an insured warranty the price rockets for cars like that.

A very valid point.

A6 and Golf R were of particular note because there are some seriously cheap (under £300 per month) leasing deals on.

That’s a seriously good deal. Any catches you’re aware of?

peterfile
    Free Member

Absolutely none as far as I can see.

£250 for a metallic paint, DSG Golf R for 2 years. 5000k a year, but excess is only 7.2ppm. Deposit is £1800.

There’s a couple of threads on Piston Heads about these deals. Seems to be offering unbelievable value.

A6 Avant 2.0 S Line (auto) is coming in at about £298 for 15k. Deposit is £2400.

sofatester
    Free Member

Golf with a roof rack it is then!

😀

King-ocelot
    Free Member

It sounds like you have already decided you would prefer the Golf. Go and buy it and enjoy it. A6s are nice cars and everything but the Golf R is exciting and life is too short.

loddrik
    Free Member

If I could afford a Golf R is definitely have one. Can’t really think of a car I’d rather have tbh.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Guy at work has the new golf r on that 250 a month deal…… Its bonkers fun to drive and fast as ****, Cheap…..if you accept youll be paying 250 quid every month for the next 2 years to rent a car.

My 7800 would buy a very nice car that would last many many more times those 2 years.

Horses for courses

bol

Not terribly relevant to your decision, but I’ll be leasing a Golf GTE next time if the lease price adds up. ‘Free’ commuting, minimal tax and most of a GTI fun-wise. Available to order from August apparently…

peterfile
    Free Member

Cheap…..if you accept you’ll be paying 250 quid every month for the next 2 years to rent a car.

I’ve been through that same battle in my mind. My current car was bought for cash and so haven’t had a monthly finance/lease cost. But…it hasn’t been without it’s own costs. Being older it has needed money spent on it. Not £250 a month obviously, but enough that I’ve started to question whether £250 a month for a new one represents good value, a question that would have previously resulted in a definite “no” answer.

I didn’t learn to drive until my 30’s. Running a car is a cost that I feel more than most, it’s alien to me.

But, stepping into a new A6 and Golf R today and knowing that they would cost me much less than £250 a month extra to run compared to my current car (working in savings i would benefit from in terms of tax, maintenance and fuel economy), it gained more weight as a sensible choice rather than just wanting a new car.

(i’m clearly just trying to justify buying a bonkers hatchback here, so humour me 🙂 )

boblo
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy the 2.0l A6, 3.0l would be nicerer but that sounds like a really good deal. £3k p/a wouldn’t even pay the depreciation for the first two years if you bought either new. However, there has to be a catch…

BTW don’t forget, it’s not really £3k p/a more like a ~£5k p/a salary sacrifice.

bearnecessities

WHY did you make me google that PH thread??!

Who is it that’s offering the best lease deal, if you wouldn’t mind sharing?

mrmoofo

I had an A6 2.8 Quattro (2013 spec). It was very dull, very capable at long miles, but dull. The cabins are better than BMWs
    I had a 530d BMW – and it was wonderful, by far and away the best car I have ever had.
    Because of the vagaries of my companies car policy, I am not allowed %, so I have chosen a 330d. ~Which is a wonderful car to drive.

A6 – looks great on the drive – but is all about image rather than driving pleasure.
    I actually nearly got another A6 – but the spec that was std for German company cars came out at 50K !!
    I cannot imagine what they would be like with a 2.0 lt engine ….

peterfile
    Free Member

Who is it that’s offering the best lease deal, if you wouldn’t mind sharing?

Of course!

The ones that seemed to be coming up with the best quotes were Vehicles Savers, National Vehicle Solutions and Central Vehicle Leasing.

I had a 530d BMW – and it was wonderful, by far and away the best car I have ever had.

Funny you should say that…I just said to mrs file that a big engined 5 would probably be best of both worlds, but I can’t afford a new style 5 with a big engine and haven’t driven the old style. Maybe another test drive is needed!

so I have chosen a 330d. ~Which is a wonderful car to drive.

I was sold on a 3 on paper, but when I sat in one (admittedly, after the A6 and 520) it just felt a bit meh.

A 335i was the top of my list for a long time.

Worth hunting one out for a test? I’d be looking at a 2008 to keep within budget.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Drive a BMW, and compare it against the A6 and Golf, then take the BM out again and put it in to a corner fast and accelerate hard out. Bet at at that point the A6 is a distant 3rd and the golf is still faster than the BMW, but less rewarding to actually drive. I know where I would go every time.

bearnecessities

Ta 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

In my experience, the size of the car is a huge factor in enjoyment on country roads. Too big and you can’t go as fast as you’d like. And even when not trying to go fast a car the size of my Passat makes me slow down even more, on Welsh B roads.

v666ern
    Free Member

I’ve got the gtd on lease and that’s rapid, bet the R is fun!
    Drop the front wheel out and bikes easily fit inside. Don’t know if the Audi has a similar system but the vw active cruise control is brilliant, radar at the front matches your speed to the car in front. I barely have to touch the pedals on my 40 mile commute

legend
    Free Member

Put it into sport mode and a 911 will struggle to keep up

Bless.

5000k a year

But you’re talking about doing way more miles than that. Over 10k? So how much are you actually looking at paying?

Anyway, A6,5-series if you just want a nice car. Golf if you dont want to admit to growing up. The big Germans are cracking machines, but they are too big and cumbersome to offer the same kind of fun as a smaller hot hatch

pirahna
    Free Member

I went through a similar thing six months ago, I needed a car to carry stuff but something that was also a hoot to drive. I didn’t need both at the same time though. So, wifey has a Laguna estate to drive to and from the station plus cart all the bike stuff around, and I have a Lotus Elise.

johndoh
    Free Member

I had an A6 2.8 Quattro (2013 spec). It was very dull, very capable at long miles, but dull. The cabins are better than BMWs

Is there a 2013 2.8 A6? I thought that was on the old model – the new one is low output or high output 3.0…

hora
    Free Member

I looked at the Golf R lease deal and after 2yrs with mileage penalty I’d be better off buying a 9k car.

9k to RENT a car over 23months. Mental

agent007
    Free Member

Get the Golf, life’s too short for regrets (and to drive a boring car).

titusrider
    Free Member

Ive got a mk 7 gti on pcp and would recommend that as a middle ground. Not quite as fast but still as fun (with the performance pack) and still a chance of getting ok fuel economy ( i have heard the real world on the r is terrible) i get 36-38 with reasonably normal driving

and also read the pistonheads review of the r – they recon the gti might be the better bet

hora
    Free Member

If they do the GTI on a good lease deal I’d be interested but paying 1.5k upfront alone for a rental is for idiots. £600 stomachable.

peterfile
    Free Member

I looked at the Golf R lease deal and after 2yrs with mileage penalty I’d be better off buying a 9k car.

I’ve read your posts on PH hora. I’m not sure we’re looking at this from the same perspective. Technically, I’d be better off buying a £1,000 car. But it won’t be a Golf R.

9k to RENT a car over 23months. Mental

Not that mental.

Here’s some man maths I did for the A6 on a bit of paper while sitting in Audi (so there may be errors!)

Lease new A6

Monthly costs
    50 mpg
    £300 lease cost for 15k
    £50 insurance
    £20 servicing
    £0 tax
    £0 MOT
    £150 fuel for 1,200 miles

£1,654 equity in (deposit)
    £0 equity out

£5,935.25 total cost for 1 year
    £11,870.50 total cost for 2 years
    £13,524.50 total cost for 2 years including equity put in
    £563.52 effective cost per month of ownership

Used A6 for £10k

Monthly costs
    40 mpg
    £200 loan cost
    £50 insurance
    £20 servicing
    £50 warranty
    £15 tax
    £5 MOT
    £188 fuel for 1,200 miles

£0 equity in
    £0 equity out (on the basis that after 2 years, it will take £6500 to settle the loan)

£6,324.06 total cost for one year
    £12,648.12 total cost for 2 years
    £12,648.12 total cost for 2 years including equity
    £527.01 effective cost per month of ownership.

It will therefore cost me £36 per month more to run a brand new A6, with no hassle of buying or selling a used car, and with fewer worries re repairs.

passtherizla
    Free Member

GOLF R. easy next question.

hora
    Free Member

Man maths = skewering the results to fit in with ‘want/must have

^ doesnt make sense. You own the 2010 car. Therefore you’ve skewered the cost.

You have a disposable asset.

peterfile
    Free Member

Man maths = skewering the results to fit in with ‘want/must have

^ doesnt make sense. You own the 2010 car. Therefore you’ve skewered the cost.

You have a disposable asset.

Show me where it is not correct.

With £10k of finance over a £10k, it’s hardly a disposable asset.

You looked like you were getting really hung up on PH about the ownership aspect of this. I don’t get it. It’s a car, not an asset. It’s a monthly cost to me.

Or are you suggesting I buy my depreciating “assets” with cash?

agent007
    Free Member

I think you’re forgetting that the total cost of the loan to buy the £10k car would only be something like £10,700 over 3 years. At the end of that (outside fuel, servicing etc) then the total cost of the car would be the £700 in interest plus any depreciation the car incurred, say £4k.

So that’s a total cost over the 3 year period of the loan of £4,700 (£1,560 a year or £130 per month). That’s a lot less than the £300 per month lease deal for the new car.

Wouldn’t bother with a warranty on a second hand car, there’s too many opt out clauses for these companies to get out of paying up.

hora
    Free Member

A 2010 car may not even lose 2k a year. Its plateau’ing out interms of depreciation.

Plus a mountain biker- you ARE going to accidently score the car plastics. Even if its only three times in two years. The worry/thought at back of your mind. Some lease companies have strict handback conditions in the T&Cs as they are protecting their invested residual.

In your car. No problem. Thats priceless to me.

boblo
    Free Member

I think a 2010 Audi A6 would depreciate more than £4k in 3 years. I’d think at least £2k p/a. Both mine did.

peterfile
    Free Member

In your car. No problem. Thats priceless to me.

That’s incredibly short sighted.

Firstly, lease handback condition is governed by fair wear and tear, they can’t just make it up.

If you cause £200 of damage and they bill you for it, not having to worry about that or pay it isn’t priceless, it’s £200.

Secondly, what do you think happens to the residual value of the car you own and will need to sell if you cover it in the same scratches?

johndoh
    Free Member

Firstly, lease handback condition is governed by fair wear and tear, they can’t just make it up.

Only if they are signed up to the BVRLA scheme.

peterfile
    Free Member

Surely though you would only ever choose to sign a contract with a lease company that was?

Daffy

Regardless of the “maths” that has been used to calculate some of these figures, losing £4.5k a year over 2 years is a ridiculous amount of money to waste.

Also, the idea that the 10k Audi will cost you the same £9k over 2 years as the cost of a new one represents a fundamental lack of understanding in the used car market.

are you suggesting that I buy my depreciating “assets” with cash?

This made me laugh.

hora
    Free Member

Peterfile. No.

For example Citroen leasing is one manu who have their own terms. ANY stone chips on bonnet -it says they will charge for a bonnet respray at their set charge. No touch ups allowed. They may or may not charge

Check the indivual leasing companies T&Cs contract wording. DONT take a verbal assurance. Two years time, who said it? If they are shy in sending you the terms pre agreement, go to another leaser

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘Bizarre car question – A6 v Golf R?’ is closed to new replies.