Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bizango 29er — on the boundary between two sizes
  • fordprefect
    Free Member

I am 184cm tall and according to the sizing guide at halfords I can choose either the 18 or the 20

Interestingly if I compare to the sizing guide on the boardman comp, that is quite clear I need a 19.

The effective top tube on the boardman 19 is 630, the effective top tube on the Bizango 20 is also 630.

So I am thinking get the 20 and don’t squeeze onto an 18. I wonder has anyone else made this decision ?

oldnpastit

Can you try them out?

Having the wrong sized bike is something I always regret.

beltaine
    Free Member

I’m 6 ft 1, I tried (as best I could in the shop) the 18″ and 20″ Bizango before buying. I chose the 18″ as it felt better, and 9 months later I think I made the right choice.

fordprefect
    Free Member

Thanks. I tried them i a store but to be honest whoever assembled the bikes I tried had no clue. The bars weren’t the right way up, etc. so the reach on the 20 wasn’t representative.

Thanks

Having never had a real mtb before, the fit is difficult for me to judge, and there don’t see to be many anecdotes about (like, on a road bike, can you see the front hub or is it blocked from sight when you’re in position, that sort of anecdote).

When I do (light) off road, I ride a 2003 trek hybrid with a 22.5 inch frame on 38c tyres. In fact I was tempted to DIY it into a full 29er until I saw the current price on the Bizango! I found what looks like the geometry for the trek online and the effective top tube length is 591, so 4cm shorter than both of these BUT it then has a 110 long stem on it. At a guess, the bizango has a 60 stem so the larger frame bizango probably has the same or slightly less reach as my hybrid. But then, I bought the hybrid in a large as it was for road use primarily. These days the sunday best road bike is the main road machine, again nice stretched out fit — I’m wondering if thats not really what you want with an mtb.

I’ve read comments like “get the smallest one you can if you want to do lots of downhill”. Is that driven more from standover height / ability to drop the seat than reach.

fordprefect
    Free Member

I think I’ll try going to a cycle republic to increase the chances of seeing both sizes set up properly & taking them for a quick spin ..

fordprefect
    Free Member

Right .. based on riding an Asian in 18 and a Bizango 20 round the store (I didn’t have ID driving licence or passport ergo couldn’t ride outside) the 18 is much more controllable and BMX like. I am 1 inch from the max on the seat post but this means theres a lot of drop available. The bizango 20 feels like a BIG bike, I think something more BMX-like is what I want. I certainly couldn’t nip the 20 round the store like the 18 which says a lot about the handling.

I also think the seat can go back a bit, my knees are too far forward relative to the pedals, which will make the 18 have a little more reach.

If it helps anyone else I can post my critical measurements when I get a time to check them. On my road bike and my hybrid the top of the saddle is 97cm from the centre of the pedal axle when its furthest from the saddle. I’ll probably want the mtb at 95-96 cm if I ever ride it long distance.

FWIW on the Bizango the maximum seat drop I would get from that height is about 900mm. This is because the bottle cage bolts and the bed in the seat tube stop it dropping more. Although we ascertained I could cut 2.5 inches off the post and it’d be safe. On the 18 inch I would get 150mm drop with the provided seat post which is plenty.

mattyfez

Get the 18 then, if you’re between sizes and you prefer something more ‘chuckable’ / maneuverable..

Do both bikes use the same frame?

bails

I’m 6ft ,with long arms and legs, and ride a large Bizango. I use it for flatter local rides rather than jumpy stuff or hardcore DH (not that it’s really that sort of bike). That’s not to say you can’t ride it downhill but “DH” is a very different thing to riding trails that go down a hill. Riding the Voodoo has made me wish my Yeti was a bit longer.

Anyway, it’s a great bike, enjoy whichever your end up with.

fordprefect
    Free Member

Yes the azian, hoodoo and bizango all seemed to have the same frame geometry from what I could see

I figure I still have the hybrid for long flat / fast toe path-y rides if I want it although will probably leave it kitted out for the turbo trainer

I think I am right in saying the 20 has bottle cage bolts on the seat tube, the 18 not

willyboy
    Free Member

Same as Bails – just under 6 foot, long arms and torso so went for the 20 (large).

Its a great bike. I did swap the bars though as I couldn’t get on with the stock ones.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bizango 29er — on the boundary between two sizes’ is closed to new replies.